Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will be the lifespan of 997?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche will do what most manufacturers will do, which is look at Fisher data to determine when to activate the model restyle, revamp. They already have it in place and the plans fully developed, but they will let market data decide when to change. If the market slows down, bring it forward. If the market stays hot, hold off for a while longer.

I wouldn't sweat it - buy now and enjoy it. Or buy used and smile as you watch the value of a new one go down faster than Dubya's approval ratings.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

Porsches' management is in the business of selling as many cars as they can. The new Porsche's have built in obsolesence. Part of the strategy is expensive repairs. Thus many owners sell before the end of the warranty period and get into new model Porsche's or at least that is what Porsche hopes for.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:57 PM
black/terra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the one thisng we are forgetting is...

other than going to water, there hasnt been a major change in the 911 for 40 years....and that wasnt a styling change...

we can see say a 911SC driving down the road and we still look...

Can we say that about a RX-7 or a Z from that period?

Well, yea a early Z is still gorgeous still but you know my point....

in terms of dated bodystyles, just compare the Z cars tranformation from the original Z roadster all the way to the new 350ZX....

I count 5-6 major changes that look nothing like it's predecessor.

That is the one hidden gem about Porsche 911.. It may be the only marque that guarantees classichood<my word.

In terms of reliability...Im with everyone else...CAR GOES WITH WARRANTY...Im not going to be the one trying to figure out how to clear CEL, cold start issues, electric top not operating correctly, 15 years down the road. etc out of waranty.

My local dealership is so bad and scandolous (Oakland Porsche) that I can see the twinkle in their eyes everytime I drive in now, let alone when im out from under paper. They smile and wave now, being reimpursed by Porsche but they are just waiting in the wings like desert buzzards just patiently waiting for my warranty to expire so they can tear the spleen out of me with their beaks.

The bastard already warned me that if I install a muffler system, that it would alter drastically what can be covered under warraty...I said WTF? "can you name me one part other than muffler brackets that could fail from easier breathing? The service manager told me with a stright face "the backpressure porsche designed into the stock muffler was intentionally done to help engine manage gases" or some brainwash. Since when is it the engines job to "manage gasses" Isn't the exhaust system itself the manager of the gasses?

Thats what I'm dealing with

On a side note, I dont know how many BMW owners are on here former and present but being a former M3 owner, I cant say I felt the same insecurity with that car. Theres something about the engineering of a BMW that instilled a bit more confidence into me in terms of build quality. I have to admit that IMHO I would feel more confident marrying an M3 til death do us part. Not sure why just yet.

Last edited by black/terra; 06-02-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 PM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD
Mine will last as long as the warrenty.

The cars are simply tooooo complicated and computerized.
Agree completely. I thought nothing of keeping earlier 911s for 6-9 years, back in the day.

With all the electronic crap in expensive-to-diagnose-and-replace black boxes these days, these will surely become maintenance nightmares once the warranty safety net is gone.

I think it's by design, though. Porsche wants us to keep coming back and buying new cars, not keeping them forever.

(jmo)
Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by black/terra
The service manager told me with a stright face "the backpressure porsche designed into the stock muffler was intentionally done to help engine manage gases"
I don't want to get into a battle here but he is correct. It gets back to what i was saying on the AWE thread. There are no independant stages in gas flow. Every stage depends on the others to maintain optimized, or at least engineered flow rates throughout the system.

If you change the exhaust system you better change electronics management/ timing because the cylinders are not going to fill at the same rate. This is why power, real power often goes down when you just change the exhaust system. it's an entire system. When the engine gets as tuned and managed as these, little things matter, really.

Don't let anyone tell you different.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:09 AM
black/terra
Racer

Default mike says his adds +39; but true or not....

when coupled with the GIACC chip which takes into consideration the freer flowing exhaust and headers, my understanding that the software trains the engine to take advantage of the different breathing pattern.

All that aside, i was speaking speciffically about warranty, not a slight loss of efficiency. For him to claim that a free flowing exhaust system can ruin parts of your engine read: warranty, I cant buy it my man....I can't conclude that a slight loss of efficiency, given your scenario, would be an out for a dealership to not repair an engine related item of any sort. I cant draw that conclusion and would know deep in my gut that it's a reason for the dealership to shirk their responsibility as they often do. In fact I cant even see porsche themselves siding with the dealership knowing the percentage of people that change out exhaust systems on their cars. The ratio has to be far above even the average sportscar.

Although I respect your knowledge, I have NEVER seen a car DAMAGED in the history of my acquaintance with the automobile, as limited as it might be, becasue one decided to help the engine breathe.

And one more thing, as sharp as you are, I KNOW that you would not accept a "denial of claim" for having put on an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:02 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

No argument, I didn't say you would break the engine. Just that you would possibly (probably) effect the flow and not have optimized power.

As others have posted, the "you voided the warantty, Dude" BS varies from one dealer to the next.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:39 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by YA911Fan

I think it's by design, though. Porsche wants us to keep coming back and buying new cars, not keeping them forever.

(jmo)
LOL. Might be a sad situation.

I wonder how much attention was given to making the equipment and software resistant to "aging." I wonder how much attention was given to designing diagnositics and repairability into the various systems.

Given the not-very-impressive performance of the PCM (in terms of initial reliability and user friendliness) I'm not that reassured.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

MMD,

You and YA911Fan seem pretty disenchanted with Porsche. Why did you buy it and why do you guys keep em?

There are plenty other cars out there...
Old 06-03-2006, 03:23 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by allegretto
MMD,

You and YA911Fan seem pretty disenchanted with Porsche. Why did you buy it and why do you guys keep em?

There are plenty other cars out there...
Not disenchanted. I "Expect Excellence" because that is what Porsche claims they strive to deliver. I'm disappointed with some not-insignificant details which are lacking in excellence.

Not sure about other cars.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:13 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

My experience with Porsches have been very positive, and I have no reason to think the 997 would be any worse. I have a '91 C4 (964) that is rock solid, and the '02 Boxster S has been great, except for one trip to the dealer for an RMS leak. I would gladly keep the Boxster, except that I have two kids who I take to soccer practice on weekends. While the 997 likely will be expensive to fix when out of warranty, I'm not sure I understand the basis for the conclusion that these cars will fall apart.

Quick Reply: What will be the lifespan of 997?