Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Crack in front windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Crack in front windshield.

Actually had a bird fly up from the side of the road about a week ago and hit right at the top of the windshield just below the roof on the passenger side.

I stop and immediately check it. No damage to the roof and nothing "noticeable" to the windshield at the time.

Today I noticed a crack that has developed from what appears to be a small initial "injury" to the glass. It has quickly spread about 2-3 inches toward the rear view mirror.

I guess I will go through my insurance company? Any problems with this? Any guess as to total cost of replacement?

Also it would seem that two local Porsche dealers utilize glass companies to do their repair work. I suspect that is how most if not all dealers would handle this.

Anything else I should be worried about?

Thanks.

Chris
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the windshield replaced on my first 996, it was about $900 but I had glass insurance so it cost me $400... not a big deal, just a tad expensive and inconvenient.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

$100 compehensive deductible.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:16 PM
CJC
Instructor

Depending on what state you live in the replacemnet cost could be zero.
I live in florida and Progressive is my insurance co. Last year windshield was
cracked by a stone that was thrown up. No charge for windshield, no deductable,
and no increase in my insurance.

Good Luck,
Craig
Old 06-01-2006, 07:05 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

make sure you get a genuine Porsche windshield, sometimes they try for aftermarket replacements although there may be none for our cars.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:12 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have that repair down to an art. You will never be able to tell anything happen.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:08 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Yep. The state in which you live determines whether or not the insurance company has to make available windshield coverage. In Texas, most insurers do NOT cover windshield breakage caused by road debris.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Thanks everyone.

I know to make sure it is not aftermarket glass.

I was worried that one company may handle this better than another but it seems like that will not be a problem.

Chris
Old 06-01-2006, 10:45 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Watch them install the glass. They CANNOT touch the glass on the ends as the oils from your hand will create weak points where the adhesive is to bind with the glass. These weak points create buckle areas on the glass, which is considered a significant part of the cars ability to absorb an impact during an accident. There was a special on Dateline some time ago detailing the habits (good and bad) of windshield replacers and the tragic and horrific consequences of a sloppy job. In almost all instances where the glass was replaced haphazardly (touching of the glass), the glass popped out and, in some instanes, decapitated the occupants of the car. Don't fool around with this job. Call your insurance company and ask for a referral and watch him install it to be sure there are no prints on the edge. Your insurance company will know this topic well.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Watch them install the glass. They CANNOT touch the glass on the ends as the oils from your hand will create weak points where the adhesive is to bind with the glass. These weak points create buckle areas on the glass, which is considered a significant part of the cars ability to absorb an impact during an accident. There was a special on Dateline some time ago detailing the habits (good and bad) of windshield replacers and the tragic and horrific consequences of a sloppy job. In almost all instances where the glass was replaced haphazardly (touching of the glass), the glass popped out and, in some instanes, decapitated the occupants of the car. Don't fool around with this job. Call your insurance company and ask for a referral and watch him install it to be sure there are no prints on the edge. Your insurance company will know this topic well.
Yikes. Thanks for the "heads up" on this - I had no idea.

-B
Old 06-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I saw something on this recently as well. The 997 gets SIGNIFICANTLY more rigid thanks to a glued in windshield (compared to the old method). If done improperly much is compromised.

Dan
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Absoulutely. I've posted about the Dateline episode on every car forum i'm on when people ask about windshield replacement. DO NOT skimp!!! It was really scary. When I had my E55 windshield crack my insurance company first refused MB glass. I said I paid for a MB and I want MB glass. They agreed and the dealer did the job. They also knew of the horrors and shoddy (sometimes) workmanship of some of these "mobile" or chain glass guys.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Thanks again guys.

I live in North Carolina. My local P dealer uses one of the national chains. The dealer about one hour away (Porsche, Ferrari, and Aston) utilizes a local company named Pfaff's (Must be good!) who have been in business for almost 60 years. I have factory Porsche glass coming and I trust them to do the job correctly, but will be there anyway.

Chris
Old 06-02-2006, 03:47 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

This is simple.

Bring a couple of sets of surgical gloves and tell em to wear them if they do not do it already.

Quick Reply: Help! Crack in front windshield.