Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Yokohama Advan Sports on their C4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006 | 01:28 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Default Anyone with Yokohama Advan Sports on their C4?

I understand this is OE fit on the C4 only. Any comments on performance? I really like the Advan Neovas on my 964 but there's no data on the Advan Sports. Thinking of switching to the Advan from the Michelin PS2. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2006 | 09:29 PM
benfmd
Intermediate

Default Yokohama Advan Sport

I would like to see comments on this as well.
Old 06-02-2006 | 10:45 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default Tires...

I was going to try the Advans when I replaced my PS2's a few months ago, but they didn't have the sizes yet for the C2S.
Damn, I will just have to get to the track more often now to wear out those PS2's so I can try the Advans....if they ever come out with our size...
Old 06-02-2006 | 11:21 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Got em as stock on my racer (Mitsu EVO VIII) long story

Anyway, they're great on the street, very sticky. Scream like a scalded dog on the track however. Went to Toyos for the track.
Old 06-03-2006 | 07:16 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
Got em as stock on my racer (Mitsu EVO VIII) long story

Anyway, they're great on the street, very sticky. Scream like a scalded dog on the track however. Went to Toyos for the track.
Screaming is not a problem. How's the steering feedback? Progressive break or snap you're 180° style? More details please.
Old 06-03-2006 | 10:43 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Screaming is not a problem. How's the steering feedback? Progressive break or snap you're 180° style? More details please.
Very nice progressive tire. Great bite dry and still quite good in the wet. Breakaway was never the problem. Quite nice coming back once limit was exceeded.

However they are not a track tire and they were screaming like banshees all around the track. In fact that was a nice feature in that they give your feel and audible warning that you are getting close.

Funny this came up because I was thinking of going to them when my PS2's are done. Of course it is always difficult to compare across platforms but I think the PS 2's are far more sudden. I really kind of dont like them because of that. You might think they are not, but once you shut off the electroic training wheels thing slip fast with them, especially when it's wet.

Maybe that's just my experience though. What has been yours?
Old 06-04-2006 | 02:27 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well my intentions were just thwarted by tire damage so my tire insurance is paying for PS2 only and not the Advan sport. They only replace with the same exact same tire and size. Plus the advan sports 305/30/19 isn't commonly available. So my experience is only with the Neova 007s on my 964. They are super grippy and excellent feedback and nice ride too. The slip angle on the advans are more hoosier like (prodigious grip while hanging out there) than most road tires. In the wet they are good (I tend to push more in the wet since the advan break easier at lower speed, it's really hard to make it break in the dry without being on track). An excellent tire in the dry and decent in thewet but they are a soft compound and flatspot easily. According to Yokohama, they are not intended for cold weather. I've ordered the Advan 048s in germany when I pickup my new BMW later this month for my run at the ring. It's better than destroying the PS2 on track.
My experience with the PS2 on track has only been on the Ring with the 997S. I didn't find the PS2 to be sudden at the limit. It's progressive but (if you compare apples to rose apples(997 to 964)) it doesn't operate like the advan where the grip is overwhelming the slip angle. They do take a beating for such performance ( I ran 2500 miles and 8 laps on the ring( probably around 800miles per lap if driving at 95%)). They are very good in the wet for high speed cruising.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Yokohama Advan Sports on their C4?