Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:25 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong Ronmart, but I vividly remember the 996 being touted in the same light - that all 996s were developed around the Cab chassis for torsional rigidity... I remember because I ordered a 2000 cab for that very reason! (or at least, that was what my dealer told me) I'll spend some time looking this up in the Renn archives... Nice Cab, btw - that color scheme looks awesome!

Last edited by blake; 07-11-2006 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
I think the 996 & 997 share the same roofline, so then it's the same as a 996 targa? Meaning it should be OK?
My understanding is that essentially the ONLY part of 997 retained from 996 was the roofline, but since its the same it should work as well as the 996 Targa top. I had a 993 Targa and a 996 Targa (996 with the added hatchback feature). I did have one problem with the 993 top (rails got mangled - must have gotten out of alignment), but never a problem with the 996. I would definitely buy another glass top Targa but too soon to change my 997S coupe.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:45 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
Technically speaking all 997's are built on the 997 cab chassis, since Porsche chose to develop the cab chassis first on the 997 (for the first time) and then add the roof after the fact. They did this because it ensured that the cab would have sufficent torsional rigidity and it wouldn't hurt the coupe or targa either since they would benefit from additional strength from their extra pillars.
It's all the more puzzling, then, why there's that joint line on the Targa's C pillar. If it's welded like the coupe, then it should be finished smoothly like the coupe.

I'm hoping nobody at Porsche thinks that joint line actually looks good!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Correct me if I am wrong Ronmart, but I vividly remember the 996 being touted in the same light - that all 996s were developed around the Cab chassis for torsional rigidity... I remember because I ordered a 2000 cab for that very reason! (or at least, that was what my dealer told me) I'll spend some time looking this up in the Renn archives... Nice Cab, btw - that color scheme looks awesome!
Nope, I suspect your salesperson might have heard rumors about the 997.

I'm basing my comments on page 327 of Porsche 911, Perfection by Design by Randy Leffingwell. It states:

"The main product of this new line, the lead model of the 997, was the convertible. Agusust Achleitner said, "and not the coupe." Achleitner was Porsches director of product line management for the Carrera. Before this, he was responsible for new vehicle concepts and packaging for all Porsche Vehicles ... "We didn't talk about this but now you know it. This strategy came from the engineers' point of view. The convertible is the more difficult car because of the stiffness that is necessary. Your work is easier when you consider some of these special parts, some of the reinforcements right form the beginning."

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Nice Cab, btw - that color scheme looks awesome!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it.

Quick Reply: 997 Targa