Sponsored by:

OT: Considering getting a new car for the

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MCoupe
Need to trade the Mini for a larger car to haul the family around. Any opinions?
I've got an S4 Avant as the 'practical' car; bought it after a decade of BMWs. Very nice car with great V8 torque and a nicely finished interior...but dismal gas mileage.

E39 5-series is a great car, but heavy if coming from a Mini, and they're getting old. If you don't need something quite that big, the E46 330i with Performance Package might be a great compromise.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

OKAY! NOW YOU'RE IN MY TERRITORY. I've had two E55's and that is the best car on the planet period. Suspension, torque, stiffness, hp, stereo, wheels, engine you name it,..it's bad to the bone. I have a 745Li that I love, but it is a mere shadow of my former E55. Why'd I sell?? Business reasons really. I needed a bigger car and think the S500 looks like a piece of old man sht. Buy one 2-3 years old with low miles. They almost all come hard loaded as many options on the E500 are standard on the E55. You can't go wrong with that car. Just don't get the two tone leather, it lowers the resale value and looks like bozo the clown's car on the inside.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:28 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you like the 300C, go for it.
It's funny because my friend drives one, and he regularly gets envious looks from people in cars that cost even twice as much!
There's just something that makes them look great!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I've got an S4 Avant as the 'practical' car; bought it after a decade of BMWs. Very nice car with great V8 torque and a nicely finished interior...but dismal gas mileage.

E39 5-series is a great car, but heavy if coming from a Mini, and they're getting old. If you don't need something quite that big, the E46 330i with Performance Package might be a great compromise.
hah the A4Avant is a joke! Smallest wagon I've seen in my life, the Ford five hundred has more space, and that's a TRUNK
Old 05-25-2006, 07:30 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Did someone say Audi. Wholly sht! Check out consumer report on that car. Man, you'll be spending your time in the shop with all the VW potato heads. Don't even think about it. Audi isn't even in the same league. They're getting better, but their cars still sk. Don't believe me, check out JDPowers (customer satisfaction survey) and Consumer reports recent write-up on their recent models. If you gave me one I'd sell the darn thing the same day.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
hah the A4Avant is a joke! Smallest wagon I've seen in my life, the Ford five hundred has more space, and that's a TRUNK
Um, the guy is coming from a Mini...the Avant would provide a big increase in back seat and trunk space.

The Ford Five Hundred is a full-sized car...I would hope it has more trunk space.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I know you've just said you can't look at a BMW again, so this is more for the sake of discussing sedans... A friend of mine just bought a 550. It is a fantastic car. Lots of power, comfort, luxury. For me the uber sedan these days.

Other possibilities:

Infinity M45. Kind of on the soft side for me, but a great car non-the-less.
Top of the line Passat?
Saab 9-5 Aero -- I just sold one after four years. One of the best cars I've owned.

Finally, what does your wife really want? Get her her dream car, & you'll have less problems buying your next one!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Infiniti G35 is a great value, very quick (280hp) and nice driving dynamics. As good as a 3 or 5 series BMW for much less money. The quality and reliability are also among the highest in the market.

I've been driving a G35 coupe for 2 years as my daily driver. The expreience has been very good and I look forward to driving the car each day, even if its only my 40-mile (each way) commute.

MC
Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Did someone say Audi. Wholly sht! Check out consumer report on that car. Man, you'll be spending your time in the shop with all the VW potato heads. Don't even think about it. Audi isn't even in the same league. They're getting better, but their cars still sk. Don't believe me, check out JDPowers (customer satisfaction survey) and Consumer reports recent write-up on their recent models. If you gave me one I'd sell the darn thing the same day.
Look chief, I've had my share of MBs as well, including AMGs. I love 'em. Looking forward to the C63 (I don't like big cars), especially if they bring the wagon over (I do like to have space for bikes, skis, etc.).

But the new MBs are not lighting the world on fire with their reliability...check those publications and surveys you reference. You want a reliable car? Buy a Lexus...but don't preach MB reliability if you want to be taken seriously.

Oh, and all of the Audi dealers here are paired with Porsche, so don't worry about me having to suffer the disdain of spending time with "VW potato heads".
Old 05-25-2006, 07:56 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

yeah my friend's parents have had HUGE issues with a nearly-new A4 avant, by the way
Old 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Um, the guy is coming from a Mini...the Avant would provide a big increase in back seat and trunk space.

The Ford Five Hundred is a full-sized car...I would hope it has more trunk space.
fold down both back seats, and you MIGHT (if you're lucky) get ONE bike in the back!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

fold down both back seats, and you MIGHT (if you're lucky) get ONE bike in the back!
Gee, really? Thanks for the info.

To you and the other Rennlisters who feel the need to bash Audi, for the record both the S4 and 997 are 2005s...guess which one has spent 11 days out of service due to mechanical failure, and which one has not been in for repair?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

well maybe you should learn how to drive your vehicle property?
Guess which car of my friends has had the sunroof break, the radio cease working, and the bumper just randomly fall off in the driveway overnight?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
MCoupe
Instructor

mgloge...agree on the 550i but I just can't. All BMWs have great handling, engine etc...but the sheer design and the fact they have decided to put that IDrive crap just makes me say no thanks. I could only dream what the M5 or 550 would have been if they looked different. Look what they did with the 7 series....750i is much easier ont eh eye now. Shows they have recognized something...but the cannot afford to do it to the entire line.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

well maybe you should learn how to drive your vehicle property?
Guess which car of my friends has had the sunroof break, the radio cease working, and the bumper just randomly fall off in the driveway overnight?
Refresh my memory...how old are you, and what do you drive?

Quick Reply: OT: Considering getting a new car for the