Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this thing just get faster, or what?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:00 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this thing just get faster, or what?!?

Gang:

Over the last week, I've put about 150 miles on the C4S. It's now at almost 1,800 miles, and I gotta tell ya (to paraphrase someone here): I think that the "break-in genie" has exited via the tailpipes!

The PSE is louder, the engine is markedly stronger, and I can easily break the rear end loose _with throttle use only_ in the lower gears. I have not turned PSM off yet, although I'm always in Sport mode, with PASM generally set soft.

As you might know, I bought the car in Kansas back in February (the 14th) and drove it home - 580 miles - behaving just as the manual asked me to... for the next 500-600 miles, I was really good. I started approaching the redline (occasionally) at 1,200.

In the last 150 miles, the engine has really come in to it's own... I'm freaking amazed at the transformation! Is this normal? I mean, this thing feels like the 993 Turbo - no, it's actually better than the 993 Turbo. Launch just off idle, and I'm at the rev limiter in first in about 1.5 seconds. Second doesn't take much longer.

Is the 997 the best sports car available today, or what? I know that I'm new to Porsche, but I'm rather amazed how dramatic the change has been in the last week or so... I'm not patting myself on the back - I paid for this car - but I can't believe how roundly it's surpassed my expectations.

Is this all in my head? Doesn't matter if it is - I love it!

Comments?

-don

(P.S. - The weather is warmer, if any different. Humidity a bit lower. Nothing that would point to increased cylinder packing or engine efficiency...)
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I'm about 1100 miles behind you, though a trip to Grand Haven this weekend should get me into 4 digits. Be aware though that the performance gets much, much better somewhere around 10,000 miles. If you think it's good now wait 'til you get to 5 digits. The rev counter positively sprints around the dial.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Chef: sounds like a gas... be safe. I94 in Indiana is a mess, but once you get past Munster/Highland, you should be set...

The Skyway might be an option. Check it out http://www.chicagoskyway.org.

Let us know how it goes; I'm thinking about heading up to Grand Rapids in July for the BMWCCA Octoberfest. Of course, the 7er will be in the garage, and I'll be driving the... Porsche!

Thanks again for your help in the last few months. You were a big influence on me when I was making the decision to buy the C4S. I couldn't be happier with my decision - thanks!

Going to be a nice day tomorrow, again. Couldn't ask for more... <g>

-don
Old 05-24-2006, 01:21 AM
boolala
Race Car

I noticed the same thing. The engine definately gets stronger as the break in period progresses. In fact it continues to do so much beyond that point. It feels stronger to me now at 14 K than it did at 10 K.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 AM
icruze
Racer

The Skyway is the only way to go. Although this weekend all routes to MI will be packed.

P.S. Check out some clear sidemarkers. They look great on Artic Silver.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Coming up on 1100 miles here. It is nice to know a surprise may be in the future.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:26 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by icruze

where do you get em?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Eric @ Bumperplugs stocks clear sides, and most dealers also do.

Since we live downtown it will be LSD and Skyway to avoid the Ryan. Hopefully if the forecast is true we will be top down all the way which makes it more enjoyable even if the traffic is stationary.

We still need to get our Chi-town Rennlisters together for a meet up. A diner somewhere in the metro area early on a Saturday morning would be a good bet. Anyone up for it?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Paul523
Pro

Don- good to hear the beast has awakened.
What brand/octane fuel are you using?
oil usage yet?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:40 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icruze
The Skyway is the only way to go. Although this weekend all routes to MI will be packed.

Got 'em, Cruze. The pics I attached are old, from back in March - right after the first detail / Rejex treatment.

I picked up a pair from Eric at BumperPlugs. Original Porsche parts, 10 minute job. Yes, they look 110% better!

-don
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stan523
Don- good to hear the beast has awakened.
What brand/octane fuel are you using?
oil usage yet?
Stan, here in Chicagoland we have 93 octane (R + M / 2) Amoco Ultimate at BP, and 93 octane at Mobil. I'm pretty much a BP guy, although there's a Mobil right near the office that I use occasionally.

The fuels here are pretty heavily oxygenated, but the local filling stations have recently switched to "summer blend" - a bit better mileage, a bit smoother idle. Not sure what changes in the mix, but it's clearly noticeable if you're a car nut...

Oil is down one bar - 0.4 litres. I bought a quart of Mobil 1 0W-40 to top off, but there's no need at this point. I'm pretty **** about ensuring that I always get the oil up to temp - which turns short trips into leisurely cruises. My wife can't figure out why a trip to Home Depot (0.6 miles from our home) takes 90 minutes... but she's learning.

Man, I left the P-car at home this am, because it was raining. Now the sun is out, and I'm sad. Nothing like obsession to make life more interesting!

Cheers,

-don

Quick Reply: Does this thing just get faster, or what?!?