Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic S Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 08:54 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the C2(S) is slower with tip. It is also true (and not merely a matter of my opinion) that the TT is faster with the tip. Yet I doubt that few enthusiasts would be swayed by this fact and would stiil prefer the "engagment" of the manual trans. I also have no issue with someone who buys a 6-speed and looks down upon the tip as being beneath his "dignity." That's fine with me. PDK isn't available yet. That would be much better than the tip. No doubt.

My "issue" is with people who buy the tip and then complain about it. Can't you sell it? Personally, I could not live with a car I hated that much.

But, then again, that's just my opinion.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Queram
I commented various time on threads about Tiptronic and I searched before I posted this topic.

Porsche belongs to VW AG.
Queram - Great post as usual. Thank you. I'm sorry you have to explain the fact you searched before posting. Were it not for the self-appointed 997 board post police (a-hole - aka OCBen), you wouldn't have to explain yourself. I've been a member of Rennlist for 5 years and nobody has done more to suppress the exchange of information than OCBen. He's pathetic. You want to see what a Rennlist board can be - fun, informative, inviting, friendly and mutually respectful, visit the 993 board sometime. No OCBen's there to make people think twice every time they reach for the keyboard.

With respect to your second comment quoted above. Porsche is not owned by WV. Porsche remains one of the worlds only remaining independent auto manufacturers. They do have a strong collaboration with VW for the Cayenne/Toureg platform that will likely expand with the introduction of the Panamera. But, Porsche remains proudly independent - for now.

Boolala - you are correct about the Turbo Tip. The Turbo Tip is quicker because you can hold the brake down firmly and press the throttle to load the turbos with boost before launching. This provides roughly 2500 rpm at launch with full boost (probably about 300hp and 400 ft lb of torque) before the wheels even move. With a 6-speed, it takes a few fractions of a second to build boost after the clutch is dumped. Boost does not build without engine load so the Tip and Turbo make a natural marriage. Of course, this is not applicable in the naturally aspirated cars so a 6-speed N/A car would likely be a bit quicker than a Tip.

Great stuff guys. And please don't feel like you need to look over your shoulder when you post. I'd rather read something twice than have somebody cut you to ribbons for not searching in advance.

MC
Old 05-23-2006, 02:03 AM
SantaMonicaP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My major gripe is simply the palcement of those buttons.. I would love it if the Tip was on the shifter like BMW or even the Cayenne... And if they can't do a shifter, then why not place paddles on the wheell. I am not a track racer and for daily driving, I love the Tip.. Just wish it was in an easier to reach location!
Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by boolala
Yes the C2(S) is slower with tip. It is also true (and not merely a matter of my opinion) that the TT is faster with the tip. Yet I doubt that few enthusiasts would be swayed by this fact and would stiil prefer the "engagment" of the manual trans. I also have no issue with someone who buys a 6-speed and looks down upon the tip as being beneath his "dignity." That's fine with me. PDK isn't available yet. That would be much better than the tip. No doubt.

My "issue" is with people who buy the tip and then complain about it. Can't you sell it? Personally, I could not live with a car I hated that much.

But, then again, that's just my opinion.
Before I comment I will say that just because you stated that it is just your opinion at the end of the quoted post does not mean I will let it go. It is completely off topic with what I wrote and it is written for pure personal insult.

I am sharing my OPINIONS with other fellow enthusiasts who might feel the same like me or lead me to a way to get more satisfied with my Carrera. If you do not agree you do not have to be a part of a thread with multiple posts. I will rephrase my last paragraph for you since you did not even bother to read my original post till the end.

QUOTE FROM THE ORIGINAL POST:

"Oh well, I bought it now I have to live with it. Other than this tiptronic issue I LOVE THE CAR. IT IS GOOD IN EVERY ASPECT. sorry for the rant, I just had to share. "

I suggest you open a new thread for YOUR ISSUE and bitch about why people buy sometihng they are not satisfied with and then complain. Cryout that you have an issue with that. Search for my posts and see how many comments I made on the TIPTRONIC S. Open another thread "Queram is unhappy with his TIP S and he keeps his car, I have a problem with that" Contact Porsche AG, contact Jerry Springer but please go to other topics and increase your post count.

I will not take this conversation any further with you since I am not after an internet debate on something that we will never agree on. Be happy with your TIP S but respect others opinions, I am already happy with my car but it is my very simple and pure expectation that it could have been better in some aspects and I like to talk about it.

Before I forget, I in my family have 3 other Mercedes cars. You commented you own one and I have a defective one if it compares. The model I compared was C180, you have a S430. I assume you did not even go that far down my post or understood it the way you want to understand and post something.

H20NOO:

I have to agree with you, I will start to apologize for even posting something, Rennlist which I know barely for 3 months now is getting less appealing for me because of couple of people that frequently posts here. I guess they think because they post alot they get the ownership and moderation automaticaly. I am here just to have a decent conversation about what I like the most. I guess a few of us that waited patiently have to speak up from now on.

Also thank you for clarifying me on my VW AG owning Porsche comment.

Last edited by Queram; 05-23-2006 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:18 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

hey calm down dude, boolala was speaking more generally, not singling you out.
You're not the first person to gripe about the tiptronicS
Old 05-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Dont understand why certain people with manual transmission look down on those with tiptronic.I can understand why people love it or hate it(personally I do like it and because of the type of driving I do on mostly crowded roads and speed cameras all over the place),but there is no need to look down on those who have chosen this option.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:06 PM
boolala
Race Car

Like I said before I have no issue with people who buy a 6-speed and disdain the tip. They feel that not only is there a performance penalty (in the non TT version) but the car is not as "engaging".

What I do have a problem with are people who buy the tip (didn't they test drive it first?) and then constantly bitch and moan about how bad it is. If its that bad and it makes you so miserable why not sell it? For the price of the 997 you could buy a 6 speed Boxter/Cayman for yourself and a nice automatic Toyota for the non stick driver in the family and everyone would be happy and we would be spared the public spectacle of this constant chest beating and hand wringing.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Boolala, obviously you're happy with your transmission, and that's great. Nobody is trying to convince you that you made a bad decision. If expression of others' opinions that differ from yours bothers you so much, maybe you should refrain from opening threads titled "Tiptronic S Review" with a thumbs-down icon attached. If your contribution to said threads is unavoidable, simply state a contrary opinion as others have; that's what makes a healthy discussion either on an internet forum or face-to-face. It was your accusatory statement "If you you're unhappy with the tip then either it's defective or you just don't know how to drive it" that prompted me and others to respond with further explanations as to why the transmission is flawed.

Why did we buy it? Why don't we sell it and buy a Toyota? We all have our reasons, and even though it shouldn't be necessary to go into detail because the discussion is about the 997, they've been explained if you cared to read the posts in their entirety.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Merhaba Queram
I too have a Cs tiptronic. It's a nice enough transmission for daily driving and occasional spirited driving. Ergonomically it can be improved. The car horn requires a bit too much precision for emergencies, which is what the horn is used for most times (well in istanbul it's different).
The button shifters are ok but I would prefer paddles like SMG or F1. I understand DSG is not suitable for cars over 300hp, and I'd rather have my 381hp vs DSG. I don't hit the buttons accidentally, but I'm very aware of them vs paddles which you don't have to watch where you place your hands. Perhaps you should change to the Multi-Function steering wheel?
Performance wise, I drove the CS on the 'Ring for 8 laps and gearing wise, it's good for the medium and high speed turns but the tighter ones, having a ratio between the 1st and 2nd gear would be nice. On track and through very tight twisty bits are the only times I miss the 6 gear SMG. Otherwise, it's a good auto.
If you have it as a daily driver in heavy traffic, the tiptronic is the wiser choice. I dislike driving my manual 964 in stop go traffic for hours.
And I personally hope that clutchless gear boxes are the wave of the future. The left foot is for braking! Plus nowadays with the e-throttle computer impeding rev match shifting occasionally (read the Evo thread and also the 996 and 997TT forum), it's the only way to enjoy the car.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 05-24-2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:25 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Queram - Great post as usual. Thank you. I'm sorry you have to explain the fact you searched before posting. Were it not for the self-appointed 997 board post police (a-hole - aka OCBen), you wouldn't have to explain yourself. I've been a member of Rennlist for 5 years and nobody has done more to suppress the exchange of information than OCBen. He's pathetic. You want to see what a Rennlist board can be - fun, informative, inviting, friendly and mutually respectful, visit the 993 board sometime. No OCBen's there to make people think twice every time they reach for the keyboard.
wow! so this is friendly?
i very much enjoy both bens informative posts,
and his sometimes OT joking around.
plus aren't you the guy that jumped on me for using too many smiley faces?

With respect to your second comment quoted above. Porsche is not owned by WV. Porsche remains one of the worlds only remaining independent auto manufacturers. They do have a strong collaboration with VW for the Cayenne/Toureg platform that will likely expand with the introduction of the Panamera. But, Porsche remains proudly independent - for now.
it's much more than a "strong collaboration".
the peich and porsche families own more than 50% of porsch ag, and 100% of the voting shares.
porsche ag is the single largest shareholder in vw with close to a 20% stake.
that would not include any of the family members private holdings in vw.
until the end of 2006, ferdinand piech, grandson of ferdinand porsche, is chaiman of vw's supervisory commitee.
porsches ceo, wendelin wiedeking, will be joining the supervisory commitee and is being touted as possibly the next chairman.
vw ag will provide the body for porsches new four-door sports car panamera.

Boolala - you are correct about the Turbo Tip. The Turbo Tip is quicker because you can hold the brake down firmly and press the throttle to load the turbos with boost before launching. This provides roughly 2500 rpm at launch with full boost (probably about 300hp and 400 ft lb of torque) before the wheels even move. With a 6-speed, it takes a few fractions of a second to build boost after the clutch is dumped. Boost does not build without engine load so the Tip and Turbo make a natural marriage. Of course, this is not applicable in the naturally aspirated cars so a 6-speed N/A car would likely be a bit quicker than a Tip.
Great stuff guys. And please don't feel like you need to look over your shoulder when you post. I'd rather read something twice than have somebody cut you to ribbons for not searching in advance.
the tip is quicker 0-60 than the 997tt but not for the reasons you state.
if you do a search you can find a lot of information on the 997tt tip!

best,
jeff
Old 05-24-2006, 02:54 AM
hatchback
Advanced

Thanks for the informative and candid review, Queram. Sorry for all the inane flack, hope it doesn't deter you or anyone else from sharing their experiences.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by hatchback
Thanks for the informative and candid review, Queram. Sorry for all the inane flack, hope it doesn't deter you or anyone else from sharing their experiences.
I think it is an essential element on a specific forum like this to share ones experiences with the others. If old subjects are not going to be discussed again then there will be no new inputs and this will be an non-interactive forum where people log-in and search and be done with it.

The more I drive this car, the more I find out things. I will participate and share all my opinions as the time comes.

Boolala:

What in the world cant you understand so you are insisting on posting the same exact thing twice. I am very satisfied with the car as is ok. If I got a 6 speed carrera, I would definitely go with the 20mm sport suspension with LCD and that car would be driven only on weekends on certain routes because of the road and traffic conditions here. I would only put maybe 1-2 thousand miles a year on the car which would made it useless in my opinion. I bought this car to enjoy it and drive daily. I am happy with what tiptronic is offering me in heavy traffic and I still think Porsche could have given us a much better auto transmission.

I IN MY 28 YEARS OF LIFE ALWAYS QUESTIONED THINGS!!! ok? Maybe that is why I can afford this car and much more at this age. Just because Porsche is selling me an expensive Carrera, it does not mean that I will go "I bought a Porsche you know everything on this car is perfect and precise, there is nothing that can be corrected on this car."

I guess you would have no problem if one day Porsche sold you a bag of crap to wax your car. Since it is Porsche branded.

Last edited by Queram; 05-24-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:53 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The more I drvie this car the more I find out I will participate and share all my opinions as the time comes.

I IN MY 28 YEARS OF LIFE ALWAYS QUESTIONED THINGS!!! ok?
keep the opinions and questions coming queram!
btw who is that in your avatar?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 AM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by icon
keep the opinions and questions coming queram!
btw who is that in your avatar?

He is a well known and popular Turkish comedian. This is a character he uses. He is an 80s erotic movie producer. I was too lazy to make myself an avatar.

I think once I get my car today from the shop, (paint protection and very light window tint) I will take pics and share with the Rennlist members for the first time.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

I guess you would have no problem if one day Porsche sold you a bag of crap to wax your car. Since it is Porsche branded.
I just about spit coffee on my keyboard when I read this.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic S Review