Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Chrono = Louder Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ve had my vac hose blocked off with a little metal bearing ball.
It’s been like that since June 05, the sound is awesome.
I prefer this method simply because there is no visible evidence.
The whole idea is to stop the vac from actuating the flaps.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:54 PM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about not installing the PSE electronics at all and just putting on the PSE exhaust cans? If there are no electronics installed, wouldnt the system be on (LOUD) all the time? Is there any probelem with this?

Thanks,

Flash
Old 05-18-2006, 05:11 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flash1034
What about not installing the PSE electronics at all and just putting on the PSE exhaust cans? If there are no electronics installed, wouldnt the system be on (LOUD) all the time? Is there any probelem with this?

Thanks,

Flash
Yes, I believe that is possible too.

I know when PSE came out for the 996 that the flap was closed by default (instead of open by default like it is now) so people (including my local dealership) would install it and break the flap out on the inside so it was always wide open. For the late 996's (I think) and 997's they added the switch so you could have it off and on, but on was a bit of misnomer since it doesn't fully open up for the full RPM range with the "recommended" installation.

Having the power there is handy if you want to tone it down which could be useful if you are driving near homes at night or in the wee hours of the morning.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
You really DON'T want to do it that way.

Search the 997 forum for PSE and you'll see a bunch of previous threads on this topic. The best one references a link on another web site where a mechanic explains the ins and outs of PSE and explains why it is perfectly safe to disconnect this cable.
I'm really confused - if the dealer can install PSE as an after delivery option without the electrical switch that means PSE is on all the time - why is this different than disconnecting the electrical connector on factory installed PSE and why do folks think this option may be damaging while disconnecting vacuum may not be.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:03 AM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

To reply to the last post about my exhaust, I do not have dual chrome tips. They're the satin finish, which is why I always assumed that I do not have PSE. Is it possible to have PSE with the regular Carrera S satin tips?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 05-19-2006, 08:26 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

post a pic of the rear of your car and we will tell you

if you car makes an amazing sound you have some type of after market exhaust - if its quiet or just not that noticeable - you have stock
Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyr4
To reply to the last post about my exhaust, I do not have dual chrome tips. They're the satin finish, which is why I always assumed that I do not have PSE. Is it possible to have PSE with the regular Carrera S satin tips?

Thanks,
Jeremy
If you bought the car new I would expect that you'd know if you had PSE just by the option list. If bought used, there are enough clues to determine if you have PSE. Based on your previous posts and your description of the tips, it appears you may have Sport Chrono Plus but not PSE. Somewhere in one of your manuals (maybe the maintenance book) there may be a list of options that came with the car. Look for the XLF code.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

There are a couple of ways you can check if you have PSE. I have included a pic od OEM PSE mufflers. Please note that this is a engine with the X-51 package installed, so the engine looks a little different than most 997 engines. However, PSE is PSE whether it is with the X-51 package or not.

The first way is to check the exhaust tips. If you have PSE with the original OEM tips installed, the tips will be dual outlets on each side. The outward outlet will be larger than the inward outlet. However, the previous owner could have changed the tips.

The way to easily check if you have PSE is to look under the car and see if there are two pipes leading from the muffler to the tips Circled in red). If you have real "dual exhaust" pipes, then you have PSE. If you have only one pipe coming from the muffler to the tips, then you have stock (non-PSE) exhaust.

If you get under the car you may be able to see the vacuum valves (circled in yellow). If you can see the valves, you have PSE.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2006, 10:11 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Thanks for taking the time to create the pic/diagram. Very helpful. I'll take a look tonight to figure it out. I'll feel like a fool if I don't have it, given that I love the sound!

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Old 05-20-2006, 12:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Rob, what do you meen "cause cel"? What is cel?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:32 AM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

I've read through the posts and I know that there is no mention of a louder exhaust noise with the Sports Chrono option (w/Sports button active). BUT, I could swear that my exhaust makes more noise when I'm in Sport mode.

Is it just me, I am right, or is it because the remapped throddle is responding more quickly?

Either way I like the sound!
I agree but I know nothing about engines/mechanics etc. This was the original question I believe.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:28 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

I've read through the posts and I know that there is no mention of a louder exhaust noise with the Sports Chrono option (w/Sports button active). BUT, I could swear that my exhaust makes more noise when I'm in Sport mode.

Is it just me, I am right, or is it because the remapped throddle is responding more quickly?

Either way I like the sound!
It seems that this thread has followed in the footsteps on many and gone Has anyone actually answered or addressed the original question? It is a compelling Q, since I too feel the same way, but blame it on the fact that I am usually feeling friskier when I depress that little SPORT button that came along with my wart.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:29 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
I agree but I know nothing about engines/mechanics etc. This was the original question I believe.

Exactly my point... thank you USC
GO TROJANS!
Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Rob, what do you meen "cause cel"? What is cel?

check engine light
Old 05-20-2006, 01:53 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CleanSlate
It seems that this thread has followed in the footsteps on many and gone Has anyone actually answered or addressed the original question? It is a compelling Q, since I too feel the same way, but blame it on the fact that I am usually feeling friskier when I depress that little SPORT button that came along with my wart.
1. Does the Sport button make the car louder - YES, if you have PSE (assuming the cable is plugged, otherwise no), NO, if you don't.

2. The increased throttle response means that you'll use less effort to climb the range of RPM's, so you'll get into the sweet spot of the exhuast sound faster wheter you have PSE or not. This doesn't mean that the sport makes it louder, but you get to the loud range quicker.

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono = Louder Exhaust?