Sponsored by:

Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 02:48 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by djantlive
How did you not realize that a cop was behind you after doing so many violations. I think the cell phone violation is the least of your concern. With all these charges, you're probly close to having a suspended license. I'd get a lawyer to dismiss some of these that were slapped on. You should really drive more carefully and obey traffic laws. We all violate one time or another but complete negligence is just not smart.
LOL, go read post #12
Old 05-19-2006, 02:53 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Allegretto,
You are right, it's just that I'm one of those dic*heads. In the course of my 26 mile commute (one way) there is almost never a trip without one or more calls. I'm aware of having moved over in the lane as I've reached for the phone, and clearly recognize that when i look down at it, I'm not looking up at the road (duh!).
I just don't see an easy alternative. The cell phone has become integral with much of life, and as as doctor, it's also an obligation. While it's a distraction, I just don't see the hand's free feature being a real solution. It is just a visible band-aid.
On the other hand, If you ever tried the Dan Ryan Expressway on a Saturday night, most of the danger is unrelated to digital communication, unless it is the middle digit we reference. I don't have a solution, just admission that I'm part of the problem. Still, when a schoolteacher rammed the back of my tt while I was stopped at a traffic light Wednesday evening, no cell phone was involved. She was just talking to her daughter, who was in the passenger seat. That, by the way, was the 5th time I have been hit in traffic while I was stopped (2 drunks, one stoned on valium, one distracted laborer, one schoolteacher)- cellphones not involved at all. AS
Your obligation is to pull off the road until you can direct your attention to the task of driving.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Your obligation is to pull off the road until you can direct your attention to the task of driving.
"some people are able to talk on the phone and drive just fine" Ok. And I am one of those people who drive better the drunker I am.
Interesting....
Old 05-19-2006, 03:19 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
Interesting....
Sarcasm not your strong point ben?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sarcasm not your strong point ben?
I'm laying off the sarcasm as you can see...
Old 05-19-2006, 05:23 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Message Board communication is hard sometimes.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:57 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

gpj,
Sounds a little hypocritical. Re "Your responsibility to pull off the road until you can direct your attention to driving", may I ask you a question?
Do you pull off the road to change a radio channel, adjust the temp controls, or talk to your passenger? Everything you do while driving is distracting. We just point the finger at cell phones, which are apparant AND common. But, it would be hard to argue that fiddling for change as you approach a toll booth, or unwrapping a piece of gum, or adjusting your mirror are not similarly distracting, and no one can pull over for all of those, or do you?
I think you may have a "living in glass houses" concern that has been inapparant. My point is that while cell phones are distracting, the law which allows hands-free but prohibits holding the phone to your ear is non-sensical as there is no evidence that hands-free solves the problem. Hand-free talking solves the distraction issue no more than a breath mint solves alcoholism, or paint solves rust. It just looks better.
Where I live, the truckers cause more serious accidents than anybody. The lore of "knights of the road" has been sadly tarnished. It's just more politically correct to complain about cell phone users. The old folks ("Q tips) in Florida going 20 mph under the limit, the lunatics on the expressway on Saturday night, the millions of drivers on Xanax, Vicodin, Neurontin etc.all pose greater risks. The problem is that there is no 'Vicodin detector" you can employ on the road. Are all those people who took ambien last night fully functional in the morning? I don't think so. We aren't bitching about them, because we can't identify them, even after they crash. Witness the latest Kennedy crash- no DUI, right, but clearly impaired. AS
Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

All drivers should require to wear this mask while driving. This will eliminate eating, drink, talking, putting on lipstick, nose picking, smoking, and etc while driving

Old 05-20-2006, 10:42 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you think driving while talking on the cell phone is difficult, try typing in posts on this Board on your laptop using a wireless modem while driving.

Quick Reply: Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket