Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ticketing appears to be Ohio's main source of revenue. Go figure......
Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

There is no dispute that talking on a cell phone is distracting, just no proof that hands-free makes any difference. The law is nonsensical, tho I'm loathe to point it out, as it may get tightened further, and I am a frequent drive-by-talker. There are also no data comparing to other distracting but common events such as to changing the radio station, checking your blackberry messages, arguing with a passenger, disciplining your kids, eating a burger, or just daydreaming.
For every bit of bad driving due to cell phones, there are two due to other distractions.
Personally, I think the fine should only be levied if you get into an accident while on the phone. The NSA will have a record of the call..... AS
Old 05-15-2006, 06:36 PM
JHD
Intermediate

About two months ago I drove by a guy on a motorcycle riding in the left lane talking on a cell phone - not even using hands free.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:47 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
The NSA will have a record of the call.....
Old 05-15-2006, 09:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS, normally I agree with you virtually right downthe line. But cell phone abuse is epidemic and something needs to be done.

Just about every true imbicile move in traffic these days features some dic*head with a phone to their ear.

WE WANT TO KNOW WHICH STONED OUT ROCKSTAR eggplant!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Allegretto,
You are right, it's just that I'm one of those dic*heads. In the course of my 26 mile commute (one way) there is almost never a trip without one or more calls. I'm aware of having moved over in the lane as I've reached for the phone, and clearly recognize that when i look down at it, I'm not looking up at the road (duh!).
I just don't see an easy alternative. The cell phone has become integral with much of life, and as as doctor, it's also an obligation. While it's a distraction, I just don't see the hand's free feature being a real solution. It is just a visible band-aid.
On the other hand, If you ever tried the Dan Ryan Expressway on a Saturday night, most of the danger is unrelated to digital communication, unless it is the middle digit we reference. I don't have a solution, just admission that I'm part of the problem. Still, when a schoolteacher rammed the back of my tt while I was stopped at a traffic light Wednesday evening, no cell phone was involved. She was just talking to her daughter, who was in the passenger seat. That, by the way, was the 5th time I have been hit in traffic while I was stopped (2 drunks, one stoned on valium, one distracted laborer, one schoolteacher)- cellphones not involved at all. AS
Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Allegretto,
You are right, it's just that I'm one of those dic*heads. In the course of my 26 mile commute (one way) there is almost never a trip without one or more calls. I'm aware of having moved over in the lane as I've reached for the phone, and clearly recognize that when i look down at it, I'm not looking up at the road (duh!).
I just don't see an easy alternative. The cell phone has become integral with much of life, and as as doctor, it's also an obligation. While it's a distraction, I just don't see the hand's free feature being a real solution. It is just a visible band-aid.
On the other hand, If you ever tried the Dan Ryan Expressway on a Saturday night, most of the danger is unrelated to digital communication, unless it is the middle digit we reference. I don't have a solution, just admission that I'm part of the problem. Still, when a schoolteacher rammed the back of my tt while I was stopped at a traffic light Wednesday evening, no cell phone was involved. She was just talking to her daughter, who was in the passenger seat. That, by the way, was the 5th time I have been hit in traffic while I was stopped (2 drunks, one stoned on valium, one distracted laborer, one schoolteacher)- cellphones not involved at all. AS
Interesting. I've been rear-ended twice inthe last 3 yrs (my only benders in dozens of years). Both were on cell phones. On a light note, one was on 294 when I was slowing down for the tollpass lane. She had no toll pass so I'm not sure what she was up to. But the giggle was she was uninsura ed and her Mercury SUV was totaled bythe rear end of my Cayanne. However my $1400 damage carried a $500 deductable. I felt it was worth taking her off the road.

If we wish to be purists, you are correct, the evidence is lacking. No doubt the distraction is still present,but at least they have two hands for driving.

Now about travel on the Damn Ryan...I live in Orland Park and even before the construction I'd do anything not to drive that thing.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

In Texas we don't operate on a points system, that I'm aware of. I plea no contest and take deferred adjudication--no ticket in 90 days and they dismiss it. You have to pay some dough, though. I don't talk on the phone without bluetooth. If you're on the phone driving a stick, we all know you're pushing your luck. As for the officer shoving the ticket in your glove box--that's unprofessional and should be reported. He has no right to tamper with your ride. He made it personal, not professional. I know what you're thinking, he'll shoot me next time. No can do. It's called harassment. He won't touch you if you complain.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:49 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Actually a small study in Australia shows that cell phone use is 4 times as likely to be in an accident vs normal.
NHTSA found that 80% of accidents were caused by distraction of the driver. Most common distraction? Cellphones:
"The most common distraction for drivers is the use of cell phones. However, the number of crashes and near-crashes attributable to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening."
Your gripe about handsfree may have some truth since the australian study didn't support it as an alternative. In fact several small studies showed no difference, it's really about taking the driver's mind off the business of driving.
However this study may also show it does help(albeit marginally):
"The Fatal Analysis Reporting System (FARS) is a census of police-reported fatal accidents occurring in the US. In one analysis of fatalities involving cell phone use, the cell phone-using drivers were all in the "striking vehicle. (emphasis inserted by editor)
That is to say: they struck something stopped in front of them, or left their lane of traffic and struck a vehicle or object. In these crashes:
75% of the drivers were engaged in conversation, 13% were dialing their cell phones, and 13% were hanging up.
Of those engaged in conversation, 1/3 were using mounted phones in the hands-free mode. "
As for your talking on the phone, my lawyer wife pointed out that people have successfully sued employers whose employees were yakking on the phone on business while driving.
I use a handsfree and answer quickcalls without need for too much distraction like I'm arriving in 10 minutes etc. I never conduct business or get into serious conversation because I know I'll be distracted (no matter how multitask efficient I think I am).
There is no dispute that talking on a cell phone is distracting, just no proof that hands-free makes any difference. The law is nonsensical, tho I'm loathe to point it out, as it may get tightened further, and I am a frequent drive-by-talker. There are also no data comparing to other distracting but common events such as to changing the radio station, checking your blackberry messages, arguing with a passenger, disciplining your kids, eating a burger, or just daydreaming.
For every bit of bad driving due to cell phones, there are two due to other distractions.
Personally, I think the fine should only be levied if you get into an accident while on the phone. The NSA will have a record of the call..... AS
Old 05-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Speed
Pro

California did a study a few years ago about the causes of accidents attributed to driver inattention. By far the largest percentage was caused cell phone use followed by things like eating, yelling at the kids, putting on makeup and operating the radio/cd.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed
California did a study a few years ago about the causes of accidents attributed to driver inattention. By far the largest percentage was caused cell phone use followed by things like eating, yelling at the kids, putting on makeup and operating the radio/cd.
I don't trust anything from the People's Republic of California.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

It's all true, but unresolvable. As a doctor, I don't see how I can avoid responding to pages, concentrating on what a nurse is saying, or giving orders. I'd hate to have to pull over and wait on hold, which is involved with every hopsital call.
The truckers on a CB, driving tired, driving aggressively, driving side-by-side, driving in the rain with blinding spray due to no side skirts, tailgating, or just blocking people trying to pass them are my pet peeve. Along with cops that like to stop Porsches, and the new corollary- fundraising thru stopping everybody in an expensive car for breathylizer testing. (I abhor drunk driving- but getting pulled over and being breathylized because the cop says "I smell alcohol" when you haven't been drinking and have a zero level is proof of the lie).
Pulling people over for erratic driving makes more sense than nit-picky speeding stops or "seen using a phone". AS
Old 05-19-2006, 10:31 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think that some people are able to talk on the phone and drive just fine. While there are others who lose all motor skills while on the phone(even hands free). I live in a state where it's not a law, YET. Let me tell you it's a serous problem when somebody is driving 50 in a 65 and trying to get off the interstate while chatting on the phone, eating a bowl of cereal and pop that last pimple. With their turn signal on, so everybody else is like no way you getting in front of me. So they just stop and think the 75mph traffic is going to let them in..STOP MULTI- TASKING
Old 05-19-2006, 01:31 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you not realize that a cop was behind you after doing so many violations. I think the cell phone violation is the least of your concern. With all these charges, you're probly close to having a suspended license. I'd get a lawyer to dismiss some of these that were slapped on. You should really drive more carefully and obey traffic laws. We all violate one time or another but complete negligence is just not smart.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"some people are able to talk on the phone and drive just fine" Ok. And I am one of those people who drive better the drunker I am.

Quick Reply: Cell phone violation costs more than speeding ticket