Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a 997 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:51 AM
TheOldMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been waiting for the 997 turbo for a long time. To help with the wait I purchased a C2S. After a year of ownership, my interest in the turbo has deminished significantly. I love the way the C2S sounds, the way it drives and performance is more than adequate 99% of the time.

The new turbo looks great and, based upon all reports, will be a real screamer. But from what i have heard, the sound of the turbo is not as nice as the normally aspirated car. Until a PSE is available for the turbo, I will continue to enjoy my existing car with no regrets. To me, the sound is a very big part of the Porsche experience. If I lived in Germany it would be a different story, but here in North America, I really cannot see me exploiting the turbo's extra power to make it worthwhile today.

But if you want to buy one and the cost doesn't matter, why not? You only live life once.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:29 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by frayed
I'd like to retain rear seats to take my 6y/o to school once or twice a week.
With the new smart airbags you can put him in the front. They go off with my 6 year old in the Cayman.

Alan
Old 05-17-2006, 01:21 PM
frayed
Race Car

GT2 is only available in the 996 platform right now: no thanks.

Anyway, some random turbo related thoughts.

I was thinking that an aero kit of somesort on the 997S would be a great addition. I sorta miss the flair of the GT3 I had. And, I'd really like an LSD. Then, there's power. Been looking into a RUF blower. By the time you do all this, you have a car that is worth no more and you are approaching Turbo dollers. Hence, my interest in the Turbo.

Been reading more on the 997 Turbo. Its running an active center diff that can be opened to run in full RWD mode unlike the AWD system in the 996 C4S and Turbo and 997 C4S. That sounds badass. Also, for the first time you can get an LSD rear diff. I'd definitely be down for that.

All that aside, for street use the 997S is more than adequate, and in the big picture, is already a car that represents excess and extravagence. Hard to justify a Turbo over the C2S other than you simply 'want it.'

Quick Reply: Getting a 997 Turbo?