Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have Mobile Guardian for their car? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:17 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have Mobile Guardian for their car? Thoughts?

I have an option to get Mobile Guardian for my car. Does anyone else have this? What have been your experiences? It's similar to LoJack except, of course, suppose to be better. The dealer told me it's already installed on the car and it just needs to be activated. If I didn't want it, they would have to remove it. They are willing to sell it to me for fairly cheap price or so I think.

http://www.mymobileguardian.com

steve
Old 05-12-2006, 07:07 PM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

If this is a car that you ordered to your specs then you are being scammed. I know nothing of the system and it may be great. The point is you did not order it and they put it on your car. If that is the case beware of other add-ons like teflon coating etc.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:27 AM
MMD
Banned

My biggest fear after getting the car stolen would be to get it back!!

It would have the cr*p reamed out of it, have all sorts dents, noises and other problems and would probably stink. Would muuuuuch rather the insurance company pay me to approximately cover for the loss.

IMO, do not get any option that would help recover the car after it was stolen. In fact, if you have the courage, wait a few days before reporting it AS stolen.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:33 AM
The B
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD

It would have the cr*p reamed out of it, have all sorts dents, noises and other problems and would probably stink. Would muuuuuch rather the insurance company pay me to approximately cover for the loss.

IMO, do not get any option that would help recover the car after it was stolen. In fact, if you have the courage, wait a few days before reporting it AS stolen.
Right on! The bummer about living in Fl. is that if my car does get stollen I think that I probably will get it back (molested). At least living in the SouthWest US I was very confident that it would be used a a Tijuana taxi, I get new car.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:48 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMD

Some very good points. I agree!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 230 Posts

I realize this has all been debated about a thousand times here, but consider this - when your Porsche gets stolen, you get notified within minutes and can get the LoJack (or whichever system you use) activated and retrieve the car almost immediately.
Insurance companies pay dirt on stolen cars - I am speaking from experience! I would much rather get my car back in a short period of time than to receive a third of its value a few months later.
Besides...the way I look at it is anyone stealing a Speed Yellow C4S in Boston is stealing it to sell somewhere far far far away rather than joy riding in it.
For older cars, I agree,...you may not want to get it back.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:41 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
I would much rather get my car back in a short period of time
Yes good point. Stom_M3's Mobile Guardian unit, unlike others, supposedly lets you know as soon as the car is started by the thief. If everything works out perfectly well you could get the car back soon.

BTW, What happened to the efficacy of Porsche's theft-proofing I read so much about in the brochures?
Old 05-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMD
Yes good point. Stom_M3's Mobile Guardian unit, unlike others, supposedly lets you know as soon as the car is started by the thief. If everything works out perfectly well you could get the car back soon.

BTW, What happened to the efficacy of Porsche's theft-proofing I read so much about in the brochures?
Isn't the Porsche theft-proofing "lock your car at all times?"
With my LoJack Early Warning, the 'tests' I have done notify me of car movement within 5-10 minutes. I suppose the real bottom line for me is that it makes me feel better knowing it's there - whether or not it's a great thing, who the hell knows!
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Coochas
I suppose the real bottom line for me is that it makes me feel better knowing it's there - whether or not it's a great thing, who the hell knows!
Yes again. That's true there's a "peace of mind" that comes with having it. DARN! I wish these things were obvious and simple!
Old 05-13-2006, 12:59 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I have mobile guardian in my wife's Lexus. It is really quite nice. I can trace where her car is on the net anytime. Funny...this morning she set off her alarm and I got an email and a phone call within 5 minutes. WOW!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:07 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts
Default PTS

Porsche offers a factory installed option in Europe called VTS - sounds like a combo of LoJack and Mobile Guardian. Anyone on the other side of the pond have this option?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:00 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default oh wait...

with mobile guardian you can GPS your car at all times on the net....?

damn I like that idea for when you let someone drive your car....like your girl
Old 05-13-2006, 03:14 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Sounds like it would be great on a teenager's car. Few weeks ago I was driving around and saw a new 3 series stopped in right lane and bunch of high school girls getting out. The car had a sticker on the back that said "How is my teenager driving? Call ###-###-####." And the number wasn't 1-800-EAT-SH*T. Sorry, that was kind of OT.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:36 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default damn I went to mobile guardians site

and its head and tails better than lojack. its a fixed one time charge with no monthly fee. That I love as I dont need another bill in my life....

How muchie? they dont say on the site I bet its high.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by black/terra
and its head and tails better than lojack. its a fixed one time charge with no monthly fee. That I love as I dont need another bill in my life....

How muchie? they dont say on the site I bet its high.
LoJack has no monthly fees either!

Quick Reply: Does anyone have Mobile Guardian for their car? Thoughts?