Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006 | 01:56 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

will try it, be right back.
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:08 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

no problem, you can open you key like your going to change your batt. and check to make sure you have the room. had plenty of room in my key.
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:22 PM
MMD
Banned

Go to a jeweler and see if they have any ideas to modify the key ring.

Looking at the key itself (my 997s key) there doesn't seem to be much material to play with the Dremel on.
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:24 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Mine:

I have the same key case. Works rather well, "impossible" to lose, stays put in your pocket, can zip an emergency us$50 into it and padded so you don't accidentally trip the locks or hood.

Old 05-12-2006 | 02:25 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

I think you only need to take about 1/32 off each side
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:31 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Hey micgreeny thanks for the experiment really very nice of you. I will take a closer look tonight when I get home. I gotta think your right about taking a 1/32 off each side. I am just missing on this $%%^&%%& thing. Thanks for the idea about the jeweler as well that is another good idea if the Dremel doesn't work for some reason.
Old 05-12-2006 | 02:41 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

no problem, I'm a contractor by trade, tried to up load pic but file was to big. I can build a house but can't load a pic, I'll fig. out. mike
Old 05-12-2006 | 06:20 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by micgreeny
no problem, I'm a contractor by trade, tried to up load pic but file was to big. I can build a house but can't load a pic, I'll fig. out. mike
www.imageshack.us - photos up to 1024kb are good
Old 05-12-2006 | 10:11 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Mine:
whoooohhh!
like the new av!
Old 05-12-2006 | 11:08 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
whoooohhh!
like the new av!
yeah, I almost went out and bought a Mercury becuase of her
Old 05-12-2006 | 11:56 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Weissy
Any one here ever file or dremel down the key like a 1/16th of a inch? Every god dam key ring I buy for this thing doesn't fit properly. Now my wife went out and bought me this very nice Gucci key ring that I would really like to use and it just misses from flowing freely in the key. So I was thinking if I just could file down a tiny amount of plastic or use a dremel or something this would fit perfectly. However I am the perfect candidate for not thinking of the consequences afterwords. Anyone else ever do this?
Hey Josh, how's it going there, old buddy! ... Long time no see.

Well, if I were doing it myself, I would NOT use a dremel or any power tool for that matter. These keys are not cheap so you don't want to ruin one needlessly. Here's what I would do.

I would take a pair of calipers or a mic (micrometer) and measure the diameter of the key ring you wish to insert through the narrow opening of the 997 key. I would then take the same calipers and measure the narrow opening of the key slot at the middle. The difference, obviously, is the amount of plastic you'll need to remove from the opening to make the ring fit through. (You won't need to add, say, an additional 3 thousandths of an inch for clearance since the plastic is flexible and over time it will wear down just fine for additional clearance.)

If you have a set of small round files (referred to as rat tail files) use the one that is about the same diameter as the key ring or less – not bigger – as your working tool. These files are tapered at one end so use the tapered end as the working end at first. Place the shank of the key in a vice using protective materials (wood or plastic) between the jaws so as not to mar the key.

You'll want to take the file and work it at the center by pressing down on the body of the key when removing material so as not to remove any material from the narrow band of plastic across the top of the key. Work one side for a few strokes and then work the other side for another few strokes. Take your calipers and see if you've removed enough material to allow the key ring to fit through.

The key here is to remove material from the body of the key and not from that weak, narrow band across the top, which if you weaken further can break from the slightest amount of pressure, and then you're out a key. You won't be able to prevent this using a dremel tool which removes an equivalent amount of material from both sides.

You should end up with a small little dimple (or area of concavity) at the top of the body of the key and no material removal from the narrow band.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 05-13-2006 | 07:05 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Mr. Ben thanks for the well thought out response. Frankly I thought I was the subject of your rant the other day. I honestly thank you for thoughts. I got good news and ehh news. As usual being a trader by nature I could not wait to get the proper equipment IE the rat tails and used my dremmile. However even after two scotches the operation was a success. With the key ring in there do to the shiny metallic nature of the ring its self you can not see that the dremmill was not the greatest (but not the worst) idea. Anyone thinking about doing things should know you have a lot of plastic to play with there my masterful measuring of 1/6th of a inch was almost more like a 1/8 to 3/16! I took it almost down to that first line we have with no problem. It does make the key a tiny bit awkward but again with the ring in there I dont see it and it doesn't bother me and the wife is very happy for now witch is nice. I will most likely get a rat-tail and bang out the second key the right way and make that my primary going forward. I will post pics later so you can see how you cant see the imperfections with the ring in but close up the dremmile was a little to ruff. Thanks for all your input guys.
Josh
Old 05-14-2006 | 12:38 AM
texas911
Race Car

I keep all my car keys seperate from my house/work keys. Keys are getting bigger and bigger. Can't keep all the car keys together anymore unless you always keep it in a fannypack. Hate big bulky items in the pockets.
Old 05-14-2006 | 02:35 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Weissy
Mr. Ben thanks for the well thought out response. Frankly I thought I was the subject of your rant the other day. I honestly thank you for thoughts.
Hey, Josh, no problem. ... Oh, that was no rant at all. Seems like everything I say with this DM avatar (the master of rants) sounds like a rant, I suppose.

Yeah, I saw your post and was hoping I wasn't late in offering advice that might be useful to you. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to damage their key unnecessarily so I was hoping to offer a different approach than using a power tool to tackle this problem. But I see you fared okay even after starting the job with a couple scotches (I can certainly appreciate the need to calm the nerves before tackling the job )

Was just trying to help you out after you had helped me out with your post about getting chrome exhaust tips in the recall just for the asking. Don't know if you saw my post on that matter, but I went in yesterday to have them replace the tips and it turned out that 2 left tips were sent instead of a right and a left, even though the label on the package showed the two part numbers for the left and the right. Apparently the screwup was in the packaging department in Germany where they came from. Now I have to wait for another reorder, after waiting a month for them to come in. grrrrr

Quick Reply: 997 Key & key ring