robbonds
Three Wheelin'

do a before dyno..do the mods - if you get 25hp it was worth it

i love my upgraded wheels - 20" techarts will be sweet
Old 05-09-2006 | 08:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I second that,--dyno it first and be there and assist in the set up of it. Generally, you will find a lot of 'wiggle room' in dyno results and you will, after paying for extra stuff, really WANT to see something tangible,--but may not.

Take a lot of notes when you do that.

Dan
Old 05-09-2006 | 08:53 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgibson1
Looking to do the following on 997s cab. Work to be done at Orbit Racing

Evo Intake...........Done
Muffler bypass
Sport cats
Headers
Flash
Techart 20" Wheels
Tires???

Would like pinions for use on a street car. Was it worth the $$$
Are you happy with end results, etc
If you like the sound, it is worth it. If it's done on a good dyno with .99 accuracy you probably wont like the curves.

We can go over this till the cows come home. Go to the blackboard and write this 100 times;

"you can't bolt on significant horsepower"

I know, people say you can. I have a standing bet of $1000 that you cannot bolt on even 30 WHP. So far, none of the "tuner" guys have taken me up on it, here or elsewhere.

I dont want to be a curmudgeon, so don't take me any more seriously than any other know-nothing. Just don't invest your money unless there is something you like, sound, looks what-have-you. Just dont expect any changes in perfoermance any more than any other placebo.
Old 05-09-2006 | 11:39 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Only the turbo has ready hp available via the route you've described. You'd be better off saving the cash and putting it toward a trade. The only certain result is voiding your warranty.
AS
Old 05-10-2006 | 06:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tgibson1
Looking to do the following on 997s cab. Work to be done at Orbit Racing

Evo Intake...........Done
Muffler bypass
Sport cats
Headers
Flash
Techart 20" Wheels
Tires???

Would like pinions for use on a street car. Was it worth the $$$
Are you happy with end results, etc
Techart car with essentially those mods featured in R&T, 5/06. Ran 12.6, 112mph. Seen faster(and slower) stock times.
Old 05-11-2006 | 10:14 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

If you want more performance, figure out a way to take some weight off the car, especially unsprung and rotating mass. Every pound taken out of the wheels and rotors is the rough equivalent of 5lbs of static weight in the car. A lightweight flywheel is another way to substantially increase acceleration, especially in the lower gears, while reducing vehicle weight by about 15lbs. In general, N/A Porsche engines are pretty optimized, especially in the exhaust system.

20" Techart wheels look great but they will add unsprung/rotating mass so they will hurt acceleration and braking to a degree although you may not notice it. Here is an excerpt from some material I received from DyMag regarding the use of lightweight wheels and tires:

"The low weight but high stiffness of carbon fibre gives a very light weight rim to the wheel, significantly reducing the moment of inertia. This saves a considerable amount of power in turning the wheel. Consider that a standard Porsche 18” wheel weighs about 14kg, the Dymag carbon/magnesium equivalent weighs around 6kg saving about 32kg per car.

The effect on the car however, is more than the static weight saving. The moment of inertia calculation is based on the ratio of the mass multiplied by the square of the radius, meaning that as the diameter of the wheel increases then the greater the energy consumption of increased weight becomes. Therefore with the Dymag carbon/magnesium wheel the much reduced rim weight has the effect of at least 5 times the static weight reduction, meaning that the feel on the car performance is of taking out 2 large adult passengers!"

In short, all the engine mods may add a few horsepower but, they will be consumed by the use of the larger wheels so the seat of the pants feel may be negligible.

Good luck,

MC
Old 05-11-2006 | 10:34 AM
NITEALB
Instructor

i agree with h20noo, i've had the flash, headers, sport exhaust, muff. bypass and evo intake installed. the butt dyno tells u that there is some significant power gains in the lower rev ranges. i had my car dynoed after mods (not before unfortunately) it showed only 304 rwhp! the guy at the dyno shop indicated taht there was definately more power to come that the car was somehow holding back slightly, PSM apparently never sleeps. dunno if anyone dynoing here has this issue. yes the mods make a difference, but he biggest differnce has been the lightweight wheels, big brakes and lowering springs. car brakes better, corners faster and flatter and certainly accerlerates quicker at lower speeds. the bolt on mods are worth the money for the sound and slight performance gain and the wheel/brake mods are worth it if u track it. thats all, enjoy.
Old 05-11-2006 | 10:47 AM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
If you like the sound, it is worth it. If it's done on a good dyno with .99 accuracy you probably wont like the curves.

We can go over this till the cows come home. Go to the blackboard and write this 100 times;

"you can't bolt on significant horsepower"

I know, people say you can. I have a standing bet of $1000 that you cannot bolt on even 30 WHP. So far, none of the "tuner" guys have taken me up on it, here or elsewhere.

I dont want to be a curmudgeon, so don't take me any more seriously than any other know-nothing. Just don't invest your money unless there is something you like, sound, looks what-have-you. Just dont expect any changes in perfoermance any more than any other placebo.

You better hang on to that G note tight ..... LOLOL !!!

There is a kit that WILL produce up to 50 crank HP. Yes, .... all bolt on stuff.
- ecu remap
- headers
- 200 cel cats
- sport mufflers ( optional )
- BMC airfilter
- Schrick sport cams ( I consider them bolt on I guess )

This kit will deliver 400 to 405 HP on a 997S. Now, as always, various dynos can show different numbers. The guys at Orbit KNOW what they are doing that's for sure. Their dyno numbers are normally dead on from what I have heard. Nothing manipulated or magically produced.

Putting in a sports clutch with a LWF will not hurt either. The Techart wheels are visually pleasing, but VERY heavy. Look for lighter options if you can.

Theo
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:10 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

50 hp - i would love to see that - though im highly sceptical
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:21 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

The cams and ECU remap make that believable. But, the more aggressive cams often sacrafice low end power and torque. The ECU remap probably ups the fuel cutoff point allowing slightly more revs. Either way, cams are a bit beyond a "bolt-on" mod in my opinion.

MC
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:37 AM
GREEK-TURBO-RACER
Pro

Originally Posted by H20NOO
The cams and ECU remap make that believable. But, the more aggressive cams often sacrafice low end power and torque. The ECU remap probably ups the fuel cutoff point allowing slightly more revs. Either way, cams are a bit beyond a "bolt-on" mod in my opinion.

MC
Where low end grunt is concerned, a good set of headers, and a custom tuned program prevent any loss low end. From approx 2,900 RPM's and upwards, TQ & HP are linear and strong right up to redline in all gears.

At the most , the cam mod with full exhaust and ecu install should take no more than 2 days. Hell, I 've seen a kit installed in 1 day on a 996. It's a no brainer really for a good Porsche shop.

Theo
Old 05-11-2006 | 11:40 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

i have gaic flash, headers and evo intake..my car dynoed at 305hp - basically same as stock...im going for another dyno pull soon to verify
Old 05-11-2006 | 12:55 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

As I have posted in the past, once you start flow work you can start to get power. Cams can make a lot of difference when mated with GOOD (there's the rub) intake and exhaust and re-PROMing. Otherwise you're like Rob here, out a few grand and little real grunt to show for it.

New heads (or re-ported) valves enlarged etc. can help significantly as well, but again, as with the cams, this is NOT bolt-on.

Finally, your warranty is TOAST at that point, and unless you know how to re program the engine brain you cannot hide it,

Easier to just flip for the TT and don't sweat it. The TT (or GT-3) will still clean your clock for all the work you have done and keep the warranty happy too.

My G-note is very safe!

Thanks for the input though.
Old 05-11-2006 | 01:07 PM
tgibson1
Advanced

I can appreciate the concern for warranties, but the Porsche warranty is only for 4 years; any aftermarket or extended warranty is a crap shoot at best. I don't understand this obsession of worrying about warranties. Maybe someone can fill me in.

Last edited by tgibson1; 05-12-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Cats, Headers, Flash, etc.