Sponsored by:

PSE vs. aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Dro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSE vs. aftermarket

I had some questions about the 997 exhaust.

First, what consists of the PSE? Diff mufflers, cats, piping? Are there any HP/TQ gains from this compared to a non PSE 997S?

That being said how is the PSE compared to an aftermarket kit such as Fabspeed? Is it worth purchasing PSE from the dealer or to not opt for it and just get a Fabspeed exhaust?

I am new to this forum and its great. i am looking to order a 997S in the upcoming weeks and i have searched and found a lot of valuable info in this forum. Thanks!

-Dro
Old 05-09-2006, 06:47 AM
mishref
Advanced

There is no increase in HP/TQ with PSE ...

Fabspeed gives you a little boost in HP/TQ; although you are have to consider it voiding your warranty.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bolt on exhausts dont void warranties
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

exhaust wont void warranty!

deffinately investigate FVD export muffler...sounds great on 997 i heard some last week perfect sound. had the fab speed on my 997 it was ok ... nothing like the FVD now they are sitting garage floor good door stops i guess

i just took off my fab speed put some on my GT3 they are incredible
Old 05-09-2006, 09:49 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The PSE is said not to give any horsepower. IMO I find it hard to believe that it doesn't least add 3-4 hp. The PSE is only the mufflers and tips. There are a lot of p-car owners who would prefer to stick with only Porsche products, thats one reason the PSE is so popular for a non-hp gain part. I like it for that reason and that I can turn it on/off. If you look at some off the aftermarket exhaust like AWE they don't add much with just there mufflers. It's the headers and the cats that add the most on those systems. Also a lot off aftermarket claim some big hp gains, maybe to big to be true..
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 PM
Dro
Instructor

thanks for the input guys. I am still on the fence with regards to the PSE though. I will probably end up getting it and swapping out headers and adding some high flow cats.

thanks again.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:56 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dro
thanks for the input guys. I am still on the fence with regards to the PSE though. I will probably end up getting it and swapping out headers and adding some high flow cats.

thanks again.
1. Many hp claims by after market exhaust makers are dubious at best, so don't put a lot of stock in that. Sound should be your deciding factor.

2. PSE with the vaccum regulator hose connected is nice but modest. Unplug it and it is a beast -- in a good way. I've had 993 C2 & Turbo as well as 996 GT3 fabspeed owners at a recent Porsche driving event come tell me that my car had the best exhaust they've heard on a Porsche. Two people even said that it was on par with their Ferrari's.

From what I've read and seen the exterior pipes are the real exhaust pipes and the interior (which are regulated by a flap when the vaccume hose is attached) are used to produce the sports sound by passing the exhuast through a specially designed sound chamber and releasing that sound through a constricted set of internal pipes.

They sound great, backed by the factory and are fully LEV compliant emissions. That's a pretty hard thing to beat.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:14 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ronmart
1. Many hp claims by after market exhaust makers are dubious at best, so don't put a lot of stock in that. Sound should be your deciding factor.
oh, come on ron!
you can check dyno results.
your just biased, admit it!
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icon
oh, come on ron!
you can check dyno results.
your just biased, admit it!
Yes, I am biased.

However, most claims and what people actually see on the dyno are two drastically different things (in a negative way).

Also you really are going to enjoy the sound more than the 4 or 5 hp you actually get (best case).
Old 05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

How much power gain do you want? I can show you whatever is desired on the dyno.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
How much power gain do you want? I can show you whatever is desired on the dyno.
Ha ha - exactly!
Old 05-09-2006, 09:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dro

thanks again.
I was told that aftermarket headers do not mate up to the PSE - admittedly I haven't done any research other than this comment from one of the aftermarket vendors. I have the PSE and wanted to just add headers and high flow cats but was put off by the vendor. Let us know what you find out on the headers.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

so never trust a tech?
strange reply!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icon
so never trust a tech?
strange reply!
Dyno results can be affected by many things so the results can be skewed based on a large number of variables. Search the web for endless dyno debates, and it is no doubt that is why Porsche puts in the owners manual that their cars should not be run on a dyno. It is also likely why they are conservative in their hp & torque figures to allow themselves some room to avoid legal action against them.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, Dyogenes. Glad to see you!

Quick Reply: PSE vs. aftermarket