First Tack Event With My 997S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:33 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,148 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Shifting between 4600-5200 will give great acceleration. This is where your torque is maximized, and thats more important than HP.
Sorry, but this is a common misconception. You want to shift at or near redline on a racetrack for maximum speed. If you shift at 5k as suggested, this will drop you down way too far when taking up the next gear. Generally, you want to stay above 5k at all times if you're really pushing (requires shifting well above 5k if you'll "land" above 5k in the next higher gear).
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
Sorry, but this is a common misconception. You want to shift at or near redline on a racetrack for maximum speed. If you shift at 5k as suggested, this will drop you down way too far when taking up the next gear. Generally, you want to stay above 5k at all times if you're really pushing (requires shifting well above 5k if you'll "land" above 5k in the next higher gear).
You are exactly right. Shifting near redlines insures that you are at near-max power at all times. Downshifting is as important too. The whole idea is to keep the engine on boil at all times. Sometimes it is necessary to go down two gears to set up your max exit acceleration/power. The trick is to set it up properly so that you are not ****ing when approaching the apex clip, you have to be there already!
Old 05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by allegretto
You are exactly right. Shifting near redlines insures that you are at near-max power at all times. Downshifting is as important too. The whole idea is to keep the engine on boil at all times. Sometimes it is necessary to go down two gears to set up your max exit acceleration/power. The trick is to set it up properly so that you are not ****ing when approaching the apex clip, you have to be there already!
OOPS, I meant "shiFting" not defication. Though I guess ther are some points on a track where that may happen
Old 05-10-2006, 03:09 PM
DavidX
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Track Opinion

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rnlsttrn3a.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/rnlsttrn2.jpg

Ok …. Here is my take.

Spoiler
Switch it to the up position.
… I can think of no situation where it will slow you down.
…. There is a small chance that the cooling will be improved.

PASM
…. I frequently have better times in wet conditions with the softer setting.
…. Otherwise turn it on unless the track surface is very rough.

Sport Mode
Switch it on
….. You can run to the redline with an abrupt cut off Vs a stuttering cut off.
……You want the increased throttle retard effect.

RPM Shifting
….. You will probably find this is ultimately dictated by the upcoming corner on your track.
…… I.E. Do you want to approach at near redline or short shift and breathe it.
….. You need to be above 6,000 to get maximum performance and redline is not that far away. So use lots of RPM.

PSM
Keep it on.
… Especially in wet conditions, this thing is almost like having an instructor on board to tell you when you have missed a line.
… I raced SCCA for years – But now only track the car a few times a year. So the help is needed by me.
….PSM will allow you to handle mistakes that would otherwise back you into something.
…. I am beginning to think using PSM is actually faster if you run just below the major intervention threshold.

Tire Pressure
This is a major deal for the rear tires.
I have seen people experiment coming up from 25lbs and down from 40lbs.
Most seem to end up at 35-37 no matter what the wheel diameter or tire construction.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:59 AM
icruze
Racer

Thank you to all on the advice and information. I had a great time at the Autobahn Country Club. Allegreto you are lucky to have this facility available to you all the time.

I ended up putting about 100 miles of track time on my car just as I broke the 2000 mile mark. The 997S handles stupendously. As this was my first time on the autobahn track and my first time on any track with the car (I’ve tracked other cars before), I spent some time trying to gauge its limits (more accurately my limits). I kept going deeper and faster into the curves and it just stuck like glue despite a wet track and stock wheels. What a blast! Because of the conditions I never turned off the PSM but alternated with the sport button. You can definitely feel the added “wiggle” that the sport mode allows.

The track itself is terrific. It was set up for the full 3.5 mile course and had a good combination of straights and curves…although I think, Road America has a longer straight if my memory serves me correctly. No elevation changes except on one of the straights which hides a right turn. Not really a problem except for the very first lap . If any of you get a chance definitely check it out!
Old 05-24-2006, 01:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure how the 997 is but in the 996 the spoiler can NOT be in the up postion permanently. If you rasie it up manually with the switch and eclipse the 74mph that would raise it normally, then the spoiler will drop back down when you hit the retract number (somewhere in the 30's). The only way I know of to keep it up would be to raise it and then yank the fuse out that controls it.

Just leave it in auto and everything will work out just fine. There is no benefit from keeping it up all the time. There is a reason it expands and retracts at cut points.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I don't know for sure about the 997 either, but on my 993, if you press the "Up Spoiler" button just with one quick jab when traveling about 20mph with the spoiler down, it will raise all the way and then stay permanently in the up position until you turn off the ignition key and restart the car...
Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 PM
icruze
Racer

The spoiler stays up once you push the button. I have forgotten to lower the the spoiler a number of occasions only to realize it after parking the car.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It will stay up if you didn't cross over 74mph.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:54 PM
icruze
Racer

I'll test it on my way home if I can (highest speed limit is 45mph).
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
icruze
Racer

I raised the spoiler at about 30 mph went up to 84 mph on the route. When I parked and shut off the car the spoiler was still up.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:03 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LVDell
Not sure how the 997 is but in the 996 the spoiler can NOT be in the up postion permanently. If you rasie it up manually with the switch and eclipse the 74mph that would raise it normally, then the spoiler will drop back down when you hit the retract number (somewhere in the 30's). The only way I know of to keep it up would be to raise it and then yank the fuse out that controls it.

Just leave it in auto and everything will work out just fine. There is no benefit from keeping it up all the time. There is a reason it expands and retracts at cut points.
That solves the mystery! I wondered why it would always come down when I pitted, after I had pushed the manual button to keep it in the up position at the start of the run session.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try the technique of pressing it "up" just once quickly while in the down position and traveling 20mph and see if it works (raises all the way to the top by iteself and stays)...
Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
icruze
Racer

It stayed up when I pressed the button at about 30 mph. It did not go down after that.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icruze
It stayed up when I pressed the button at about 30 mph. It did not go down after that.
Cool - that's what I thought would happen (same in 993)...

Quick Reply: First Tack Event With My 997S