Sponsored by:

Just Intalled SmartTop for My 997 Cab. It's Great

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Intalled SmartTop for My 997 Cab. It's Great

A few weeks ago I posted that Wilhelmy-It was coming out with a SmartTop module for the 997 cab. I got mine on Friday and installed it over the weekend and the modifications it provides are really great. (Let me say at the outset that I'm not affiliated with Wilhelmy.)

Installing the module took about half an hour and was pretty easy once I was able to remove the existing module. And, in the process, I discovered how to unlatch the rear of the top so that you can clean the inside of the glass window from outside the car, which is a lot easier.

Anyway, the SmartTop module has six discrete funtions that one can either enable or disable according to your preference. The main functions (and why I got it) has to do with the top. The center console button can be programmed to be a one-touch to open or close the top. One tap will open the top and leave the windows down; two taps will lower the top and raise the front windows. The same is true on closing.

Another function allows you to open or close the top either with the remote on the key (hold down for 2 secs. and then release when top starts moving) or by putting the key in the door lock a la the 996.

Other functions that can be programmed have to do with the automatic door locks, control of the windows (you can operate all four windows with the turn signal stalk when the key is out of the ignition), including operating the rear windows without having to use the rocker switch; having the horn chirp on locking and unlocking, and trunk opening delay and controlling headlights with the key fob.

Programming of the individual functions is accomplished via the computer stalk with the key out of the ignition. The turn signals blink to let you know what function and stage you are in during the process.

Stehpan Wilhelmy lives in Kansas and seems to always be available by phone to answer any questions. I did a search on the 996 forum before I placed my order because they had a mod for the 996. Everyone seemed to be universally happy with their produce and service. A more complete description of the functions is at their website, www.wilhelmy-it.com.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

according to manual you shouldnt operate the top when the car is turned off - drains battery
Old 05-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Speed
Pro

I think the instructions are fine. You can see for yourself; they're downloadable in pdf format on their website. The only tool you need is a screwdriver. My only "difficulty" was unlocking the existing connector from the covertible top control box. The tab that unlocks the bracket is underneath the conenctor and not visible (although the pics that accompany the instructions show where it is). In the end, I found it easier to just remove the control box (which is just connected to the frame by two screws) which permitted it to be rotated so that you could get to the unlocking tab. After that, it's a snap.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:42 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. I may need to get this. How much?? I would get it simply to allow the top to open with one touch WITHOUT raising the windows. If you enable one touch, I assume you can emergency stop the process or reverse the process by touching the switch again?
Old 05-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by robbonds
according to manual you shouldnt operate the top when the car is turned off - drains battery
All I can say is that with the 996 after 2002 you could open the top with the key in the door lock and the Eurpoean 996's and 997's have always had a button on the key fob to open the top. So I hardly think it can seriously drain the battery, especially if you get in the car and drive after opening the top.

Quick Reply: Just Intalled SmartTop for My 997 Cab. It's Great