Sponsored by:

360 modena vs 997 carrera s

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
i believe ferrari of north america changed it policey to a standard 10k$ deposit...no interest payed...the list for the 430 is now closed, was up to 3 years or more.....the loyal, well to do ferrari customers somehow seem to mysteriously move the waiting list .....
$10k is still reasonable considering the cost of the car.

Sad to hear that the F430 list is closed.

Yes, it seems that once you have bought a Ferrari OR if you are a very wealthy car collector then your wait is significantly less. I know a guy who was shocked when I told him about the waiting list because he's able to just go in and order them. I told him if I'm ever in the market it for a Ferrari then I'm going to have to get him to act as a broker for me!

Ferrari also values repeat business VERY highly, so it seems that repeat customers get first dibs on new models and of course we all know that long-time Ferrari buyers got a shot at buying an Enzo.

Just like in the Mafia, it seems that loyalty is key.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmart
I know a guy who was shocked when I told him about the waiting list because he's able to just go in and order them. I told him if I'm ever in the market it for a Ferrari then I'm going to have to get him to act as a broker for me!
Just like in the Mafia, it seems that loyalty is key.
if your buddy started flipping cars he would find out about the wait list pretty quick!
OOOHHHHH! you compared ferrari to the mafia?
lllooonnnnggggggg wait list for you!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
if your buddy started flipping cars he would find out about the wait list pretty quick!
the ferrari ****.....NO FERRARI FOR YOU!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

He doesn't need to. He's already owned a F430 and sold it after he decided he wanted a lambo.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:12 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

He doesn't need to. He's already owned a F430 and sold it after he decided he wanted a lambo.
how come he sold the f430 for a lambo?
do you not like the cgt at all???
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

how come he sold the f430 for a lambo?
do you not like the cgt at all???
Because he can. He just simply wanted a lambo and was out of garage space, so something had to go. He wasn't driving the F430 as much as the others so he sold it for a very nice profit. Personally I'd never trade a F430 for Gallardo SE, but that's just me. Then again, I was very dissapointed with the Gallardo when I test drove one, so I guess I'm biased.

The CGT's are cool, but personally I don't see that they are worth the money.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

$10k is still reasonable considering the cost of the car.
I don't think so. A deposit usually protects the dealer who special orders a car so that he won't be stuck with it and have to resell it at a loss. When a dealer can flip a car for the same price he doesn't need a deposit to protect him. A $10,000 deposit is just extra profit in the form of free working capital and is only reasonable because Ferrari buyers can afford it. Unless I order some weird color that a dealer can't easily resell, none of my regular dealers requires a deposit or a contract. I can't remember the last time I needed anything more than a handshake to get a car special ordered for me.

Alan
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
I don't think so. A deposit usually protects the dealer who special orders a car so that he won't be stuck with it and have to resell it at a loss. When a dealer can flip a car for the same price he doesn't need a deposit to protect him. A $10,000 deposit is just extra profit in the form of free working capital and is only reasonable because Ferrari buyers can afford it. Unless I order some weird color that a dealer can't easily resell, none of my regular dealers requires a deposit or a contract. I can't remember the last time I needed anything more than a handshake to get a car special ordered for me.

Alan
Up here all of the dealerships I've worked with offer refundable deposits unless you special order something funky (in which case it is refundable only if they can resell it within 60 - 90 days).
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
The B
Racer

Man, I really want those issues in my life..."more money more problems" - I'll take it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:08 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

The CGT's are cool, but personally I don't see that they are worth the money.
WHAT????
Blasphemer!!!
relative to an f430 spider what do you think they are worth?
you know at current market price there is less than 50k dif?
you would get a lot more performance in a much more limited edition car.
you must not like the looks?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin

Alan
Definitely, there's no obligation to buy the car. The deposit gives you first dibs to buy.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

WHAT????
Blasphemer!!!
icon, I have to agree with your comment about the market price difference...makes the CGT better value for money. CGT is only left hand drive though which isn't so good for England.

With regards to this thread, having driven both, I definitely prefer my 997C2S over the 360, but then it is 5 or 6 years more advanced.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

WHAT????
Blasphemer!!!
In November when I was waiting for my 997 I talked to our Ferrari dealership and he had a F430 Spider he was happy to sell me for $260,000. The last I saw a CGT is $440,000. I don't understand how you get $50k difference?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

In November when I was waiting for my 997 I talked to our Ferrari dealership and he had a F430 Spider he was happy to sell me for $260,000. The last I saw a CGT is $440,000. I don't understand how you get $50k difference?
Ron, 260k more a 430 spider is a very good price...they are going for closer to 300k usually......of course prices will come down to msrp soon and then slightly below in the several years....the cgt can be bought used for 350-360k i believe....so 350k-300k would come to 50k$...but the msrp of the cgt is more than double that of the 430 spider, so the cgt is the better buy right now....
Old 05-12-2006, 01:22 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by scycle2020
so the cgt is the better buy right now....
Is this a financial investment or search for the best car? My friend's father got a 360 Modena and Carrera GT last summer. At the opening of the Supercar exhibit at the Saratoga Automobile Museum I asked him which he preferred driving and he told me he hadn't driven them enough to know. (Brock Yates preferred the Carrera GT over the Enzo and other cars there.) I used this as a teachable moment for my 11 year old son: more is not better, it often is just more. We are passionate about our Porsche and drive it whenever we can. Having more cars or more disposable income to spend on them does not necessarily mean you are having more fun.

For those with more current disposable income than I have right now (2 private school educations to pay for), Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (Ferrari president and CEO) was quoted in AutoWeek as saying a two year waiting list is too long and Ferrari hopes to do something about it.

Alan

Quick Reply: 360 modena vs 997 carrera s