Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

360 modena vs 997 carrera s

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:51 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

What's the highest mileage 360 you've seen for sale? There's gotta be a reason they don't accumulate miles. AS
Old 05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
What's the highest mileage 360 you've seen for sale? There's gotta be a reason they don't accumulate miles. AS
I think a big part of it is that, unlike our Porsches, you can actually buy one and sell it for more than you paid for it. We drive our Porsche off the lot and immediately lose 20% or more, but if you get on the waiting list and are the first owner of a Ferrari your dealership (at least up here in Seattle) will gladly sell it for you for at least 30% - 40% more than you paid for it (first purchaser only). They have to sell at MSRP for the first purchase, but street value is WAY more (i.e., the 360 Spider in 2001 went for about $140,000 MSRP but the dealership would sell used ones for a minimum of $225,000).

With this type of an investment, Ferrari's become more like art than cars. For this reason many people purchase them and simply display them rather than drive them for fear of getting a rock chip or scratch that will prevent them from holding their original value. Others like one of my friends (who has a 360 Modena - coupe) doesn't give a crap and he just drives it the way I drive my Benz (yet he only washes his about once a year). I know he's got to have at least 40k miles on his by now, but he probably couldn't get more than $100k for his (which is still pretty good considering its age, abuse and purchase price).
Old 05-08-2006, 09:32 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found a pic of my old 360 spider

there is a pic of my 360 spider, 02, 6 speed, red with tan interior..sold in march of 2005....
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2006, 10:11 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by scycle2020
there is a pic of my 360 spider, 02, 6 speed, red with tan interior..sold in march of 2005....
Nice! And those are the kinda babes you can get with a 360 that just don't seem to be impressed with Porsches.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:45 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice! And those are the kinda babes you can get with a 360 that just don't seem to be impressed with Porsches

It's not the car that impresses them but it's the guy who can nonchalantly spend a couple hundred thousand on a weekend car.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe it's not the car, nor the guy spending the money. Maybe it's the rest of the $$$$ the guy has.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:01 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Ferrari cars to me were always primadonas. You can't really drive them, 'cuz if you do, they spend the rest of the time sulking in the repair shop costing $$$$$$. I've heard that the newer Ferraris, like the Modena, are different, in that they can be driven like we drive our Porsches and hold up, and repairs and regular meaintenance are no longer horror stories. Is that true??
Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Ferrari cars to me were always primadonas. You can't really drive them, 'cuz if you do, they spend the rest of the time sulking in the repair shop costing $$$$$$. I've heard that the newer Ferraris, like the Modena, are different, in that they can be driven like we drive our Porsches and hold up, and repairs and regular meaintenance are no longer horror stories. Is that true??
It's the stigma associated with these cars, no doubt.

I would certainly own a 360 Modena right now if it could be driven like my C4S.

German-Italian babies are very cute.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:51 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

the f430 that replaced the modena in model year 2005 is supposed to be a fairly reliable car!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:30 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icon
the f430 that replaced the modena in model year 2005 is supposed to be a fairly reliable car!
I haven't heard any complaints from the two people I've known who have owned 360's, so I don't think the 360's are quite the handful that the 355 and earlier were. I've sent my friends some e-mail though to confirm.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:31 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 360 was the most reliable ferrari ever made and the most user friendly...that being said, it is not a porsche...keep in mind that the timing belt has to changed every 3 years or 30 k miles ..in the 360 at least the engine can be kept in but it stll costs 2500$ to 3000$...and porsche clutches last about 5-10 times longer than a ferraris clutch...as for getting attention, Ferrari get tons of it...almost too much...you feel like a rock star, but it can be too much..people are always driving next to you in your blind spot....they honk their horns, and will even take pictures while you go past...if you go to drive the ferrari, you better have your nice shirt on, good hair, etc!!! also , when you park it and come out, often there might be some people looking at it...as for woman, when they see a guy wit a ferrari, they see a player, and often woman are stay away from guys who announce they are players...i have actually got more favorable response with my boxster s and 911 from woman than the ferrari...a red ferrari is often too much for many woman....and of course if you do go on a date in your 200k $ ferrari, you better be ready to throw the cash around because that is want the babes are expecting!!!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

the 360 was the most reliable ferrari ever made and the most user friendly...that being said, it is not a porsche...keep in mind that the timing belt has to changed every 3 years or 30 k miles ..in the 360 at least the engine can be kept in but it stll costs 2500$ to 3000$...and porsche clutches last about 5-10 times longer than a ferraris clutch...as for getting attention, Ferrari get tons of it...almost too much...you feel like a rock star, but it can be too much..people are always driving next to you in your blind spot....they honk their horns, and will even take pictures while you go past...if you go to drive the ferrari, you better have your nice shirt on, good hair, etc!!! also , when you park it and come out, often there might be some people looking at it...as for woman, when they see a guy wit a ferrari, they see a player, and often woman are stay away from guys who announce they are players...i have actually got more favorable response with my boxster s and 911 from woman than the ferrari...a red ferrari is often too much for many woman....and of course if you do go on a date in your 200k $ ferrari, you better be ready to throw the cash around because that is want the babes are expecting!!!
Excellent!

I had someone else with a red Ferrari say the same thing about the unwanted attention. They say it is fun for a bit, but it gets annoying when you come out of an ordinary store or something and there is a crowd around your car putting their paws on the glass and paint after it has been freshly cleaned!

I'd sure like to try it out for a month though! I wish they had a monthly loan program for a reasonable sum as that would probably cure me.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

I was considering a 360 Modena, you guys just solidified my decision to keep my 997. Thanks for your thoughts...
Old 05-09-2006, 07:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I was considering a 360 Modena, you guys just solidified my decision to keep my 997. Thanks for your thoughts...
Please don't take this as a criticism, because it's not meant to be, but I wonder how long the average guy owns his car before he starts yearning for the next one up the food chain. For me the yearning begins after about six months.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scycle, may I ask where you got that clutch longevity info from?
From my research, the newer F-cars are pretty bullet proof. The ones in my neighborhood (360 modena and spider, F430 spider) have so far had a few issues with fit and finish and electronic stuff. Sure they are low mileage (MSRP in, $90k over MSRP out) except for the F430 spider.
On a few drives with the F430, it also depends on where you go. You won't get too much attention in places like Malibu and the palisades where people are just blase about flashy cars. My neighbor who drives HER car says she gets more attention than when her bf borrows it. Something about a blonde in a black ferrari. She loves it.
I think a Gallardo or Murcielago garners more bling power. As girl impression factor, I will say that between my day with a murcielago and F430, the lambo got more "gorgeous car! I'd love to ride in it" type remarks from women, while my wife was right there!

Quick Reply: 360 modena vs 997 carrera s