Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a 997S without Bose.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 03:53 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

yes, get the Bose, it is cheap (!!???). It might not sound the best but IT'S the best you can get from Porsche.

I haven't yet listened to the stock unit but the bose does give you plenty of bass. I guess it really depends on the type of music you're listening to.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
You've been drinking and driving again, MC?

Too bad you don't have the clout of Patrick Kennedy.
Am I the only one who finds it odd that apparently PK drives a dented, nineties model, Mustang convertible?
Old 05-05-2006, 04:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Given his penchant for driving drunk maybe that's not such a bad thing from his insurance company's perspective. It would certainly explain the dents.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

And how are you arriving at that conclusion?

He could very well have Bose and his observation be valid still.
irish guitar, on the forums
Old 05-05-2006, 04:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
irish guitar, on the forums
Yes Brett, we all know he's a musician, that wasn't the question. It was how could you conclude from his statement that he doesn't have Bose in his car?
Old 05-05-2006, 05:02 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Yes Brett, we all know he's a musician, that wasn't the question. It was how could you conclude from his statement that he doesn't have Bose in his car?
because he said, "I won't get bose because it's pointless"
amnd his photos clearly show no 'Bose' logo on the speakers.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=bose
Old 05-05-2006, 05:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
because he said, "I won't get bose because it's pointless"
You know, you could copy & paste that exact quote you're claiming he said - I didn't find that.

Ah ha, so basically you're admitting that you didn't draw that conclusion based on his post here, but on previous posts of his which you happened to remember. Okay, that explains it. I certainly didn't think you were clairvoyant.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

No Bose here; stock system is just fine. Only slightly inferior to the Bose system in my Audi, but that's primarily due to the interior layouts.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Bose

"No highs no lows, must be Bose!"

This is no Mark Levinsen system like I had in my Lexus SC430.

But then again, with PSE and driving, who needs it! I ordered it w/o really hearing it fully while the car was operating.

I do have satellite added to the PCM as well as the 6 CD changer. A lot of overkill if you ask me. Mostly I now listen to the PSE with the windows open. Now THAT'S MUSIC!

Deanski
Old 05-07-2006, 12:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Default Speaking of Bose...

Anybody here have the overpriced Bose radio? I had wanted for some time to buy one, but I thought I'd wait hoping they come down in price, as they sure seemed overpriced. And of course, Bose products never seem to come down in price.

I think Consumer Reports did a piece on hi-fi table top radios including the Bose. They rated another brand as a "best buy" product but I can't remember which one it was. I'd like to get a decent one for the garage. It doesn't have to be the Bose, it just has to have decent sound at a decent price.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:38 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anybody here have the overpriced Bose radio? I had wanted for some time to buy one, but I thought I'd wait hoping they come down in price, as they sure seemed overpriced. And of course, Bose products never seem to come down in price.

I think Consumer Reports did a piece on hi-fi table top radios including the Bose. They rated another brand as a "best buy" product but I can't remember which one it was. I'd like to get a decent one for the garage. It doesn't have to be the Bose, it just has to have decent sound at a decent price.
Geek.com "table radio shootout." KLH and Advent are nicer.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:44 AM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:45 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Just looked it up on CR. The test was done 7/03, so somewhat out of date. Bose was rated highest, but Boston Acoustics and Cambridge Soundworks were next and much cheaper.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:58 AM
OCBen
Banned

Yep, those were the brands. Thanks for the lookup.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Much depends on how loudly you play the volume level. I did not get Bose in my Club Coupe, and I mainly listen to CD's at a volume level that allows me to hear the PSE (with the always loud mod) above the music. The non-bose system is fine for that. And I found the Bose system too bassy and boomy. When I tried it out, I ended up putting the bass at -3 and defeating loudness. So I didn't bother.

The bass response on the stock system really only sounds weak when listening to FM music, which I don't do any of (I've got a stash of MP3 cd's in the glove box and am impatiently waiting the MOST compatible IPOD updgrade).

If you're talking a cabriolet, different story--you're probably going to want/need to play the stereo at higher volume levels when the top's down.

Bottom line for me, I don't regret not getting Bose, but everyone's different.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 997S without Bose.