Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stopped driving long enough to finally post some pics of my new car!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may I interest you in a GT3? Red paperclip?

haha glad to see you enjoying your new toy!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by caf
Nice pics! How was your E55 for reliability?

Despite being a six time BMW owner, the E63 does nothing for me. If only they had kept the waterfall hood treatment, instead of having the ugly seam across the top of the grill. Looks kind of cheap, in my opinion.

Did you know that a 6 cab weighs 100 lbs. more than a luxo-barge Cadillac DTS 5 seater? That's one heavy 2 + 2. The weight is well disguised when driving at 6/10, but if you push the thing a little bit, the weight makes the car feel clumsy. The coupes are only a little better on weight; the M6 with its carbon fiber roof makes it down to a svelte (ahem) 3900 lbs.
Like most MB's these days, I did have some issues with the E55. Most serious was the car just shutting off intermittently while sitting in heavy, stop and go traffic. No codes were thrown, so dealer had no idea why. Narrowed it down to crank sensor and had it replaced a few times. Would work for a while, but I don't ever think it was totally cured. Dealer was very good about and offered me a new car after the 2nd time, no questions asked. The brakes sucked (I drive very hard, but never had the brake warning light come - in my mind not abusive) and front rotors would not last very long. Lots of electrical gremlins when it first came out in '03 but my '04 was OK. Several minor issues, but from what I hear the M5 isn't much better in that regard.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:13 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Like most MB's these days, I did have some issues with the E55. Most serious was the car just shutting off intermittently while sitting in heavy, stop and go traffic. No codes were thrown, so dealer had no idea why. Narrowed it down to crank sensor and had it replaced a few times. Would work for a while, but I don't ever think it was totally cured. Dealer was very good about and offered me a new car after the 2nd time, no questions asked. The brakes sucked (I drive very hard, but never had the brake warning light come - in my mind not abusive) and front rotors would not last very long. Lots of electrical gremlins when it first came out in '03 but my '04 was OK. Several minor issues, but from what I hear the M5 isn't much better in that regard.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in the market for a sedan, and have enjoyed playing with the AMGs at Mercedes' track days. I've heard of reliability problems, but I agree the Bimmers may not be any better.

Quick Reply: Stopped driving long enough to finally post some pics of my new car!!