Sponsored by:

2 days old...200 miles...already dinged

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:31 AM
mtooze
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 days old...200 miles...already dinged

Picked up my new silver 06 cab S on wednesday night. Driving around this evening, drive past a gang of probably 5 or 6 8-10 yr olds at 40mph (speed limit...and yes...I said 8 - 10 yr olds...this was 11pm), hear a "clang" on the side of the car and know immediately they have thrown something at me (I see them sprinting away in my rear view). Get home a find a nice ding just on the rear door post, just behind the door.

Like I said, 200 miles on the clock...

What is this country coming too?

Marcus
Old 04-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. We all have so much fun driving our p car and nothing can override that. We only can look at this as part of the maintance of driving such a fine automobile. Good Luck and congrat on you new car.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:49 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

At that age at 11pm? Things are different.

Dan
Old 04-29-2006, 02:58 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear that Marcus. Was this in an urban inner city setting or in the burbs? Small town in the Midwest or large metropolitan area?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:06 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Ugh. That sucks. I can't imagine how pissed you must have been -- its bad enough when it's just bad luck or an acciident that causes it. I had a piece of plastic fly up on freeway and put small ding above my right rear wheel this past week and was so annoyed. Try to find a good dent removal person.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:19 AM
mtooze
Track Day

This is Lincoln, NE (Nebraska)!!! Pretty unbelievable. I have a good body guy that *might*
do it without repainting, but its in a tough spot probably without access to rear of panel. No paint damage but a very very small nick in the clear coat....biggest problem is I can't get to sleep now, plus I can't face showing my wife tommorow AM...this was our 10th anniversary present to ourselves.

Such is life huh?
Old 04-29-2006, 03:22 AM
Snoopy
Racer

She'll understand. It's not like you did something wrong or caused this to happen. If they tell you they can't do it without repainting, maybe consider a second opinion just to make sure.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Same thing happened to me the other night.A gang of around 6 teenagers threw an empty plastic cola bottle at me as I was driving near my home.I was so angry I gave chase but because Ive put on a few pounds recently I could not catch them-just as well really because if I would have caught them I would have hurt them.I live in one of the most upmarket areas in the north of the uk as well!!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:36 AM
The B
Racer

mtooze: My door 'ding' was also in the rear fender section. From my experience I can share, if they are unable to do the dentless repair, then it requires the body shop to cut a hole in the door jam to access the dent, repaint the whole panel.

I absolutly feel you frustration, this happened at @ 7 mos. for me. Thats when I decided to valet my car everywhere in Vegas...cause what happens in Vegas stays in vegas isn't always the best for the locals.

I really hope for you that the paint was not broken and the dentless procedure works...
Old 04-29-2006, 11:29 AM
mtooze
Track Day

9.18am: wife has left for hair appointment. Weather too crappy to get car out. I still havent told her.

With regards to giving chase...would have been easy to catch them. On a straight away with fencing
and I'm a sub 40 min 10K 34 yr old. In the 1 second after I heard the noise and figured what happened, I considered stopping and getting one of them and simply driving over to the nearby police station. However I chose not to. Why?

White male, $100,000 sports car. 7 figure net worth. Wife has prominent position with City of Lincoln and is on TV every week: 10 yr old kid at 11pm at night. I grab the kid, stuff him in my car
and drive to cops (no cell phone with me...).

Can you imagine the field day an attorney
would have filing all kinds of lawsuits against me (I would never beat or even touch the kid) aledging
abuse/beating etc while the kids crack head mom looks on licking her lips with anticipation of the windfall $$? I can't even begin to think about what the local media would do to me and my wife as well if I had tried that.

I'll take my lumps and turn the other cheek.

Marcus
Old 04-29-2006, 11:59 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 346 Posts

Ideally you would have been able to grab one of them, drag them home ( I agree about not putting them in your car) and kick the crap out of the PARENTS for letting their kids out at that time.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Same thing happens to me out here in my neck of the country. Kids waiting for the school bus in the morning and DEFINITELY in the afternoon when dropped off. Since there isn't much grass here in Vegas and EVERYTHING is rock they "pretend" to be throwing the little rocks at eachother and really aim for you when you drive by and then scatter. Simple. I just turn around and find another way into my developement or just go drive around for another 5 minutes or so until they are gone. Proactive.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:26 PM
boolala
Race Car

Sounds like the intifada on the West bank and Gaza strip.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:20 PM
billco
Instructor

I'd march my *** back there today and let the parents know exactly what happened. As far as what this country is coming to? What these kids did, is nothing new. The real test of what the country is coming to, will be in what their parents do to stand up to their responsibility to keep closer tabs on the little tirds. If they all say they can't be responsible because they don't know that their kid did it, then you can probably say where going to hell in a hand-basked with respect to taking responsibility for our (and our kids) actions. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:32 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Yea, that's pretty sad when you have to think twice about handling the little bastards. You probably played it smart. Good luck getting it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2 days old...200 miles...already dinged