Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone looked into installing a 100L fuel cell?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 11:59 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Default Has anyone looked into installing a 100L fuel cell?

With gas prices up all over, no point in crying. But a bigger tank would be nice.

Has anyone looked into what's involved with a switch over to on of those 100L fuel cells? I know you loose your (near non-existant) trunk space but maybe it is worth it.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:48 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by allegretto
With gas prices up all over, no point in crying. But a bigger tank would be nice.

Has anyone looked into what's involved with a switch over to on of those 100L fuel cells? I know you loose your (near non-existant) trunk space but maybe it is worth it.

Thanks
What does the cost of gas have to do with the size of your tank ?
Do you get a discount when you buy more than 60 ltrs. ?

So now , on top of paying more for gas , you want to spend another gazillion $$ for an extra large tank?
Go ahead , makes perfect sense to me .
Old 04-24-2006 | 01:14 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
What does the cost of gas have to do with the size of your tank ?
Do you get a discount when you buy more than 60 ltrs. ?

So now , on top of paying more for gas , you want to spend another gazillion $$ for an extra large tank?
Go ahead , makes perfect sense to me .
First I'll answer your questions;

Nothing.
No.

I didn't ask you how to spend my money. Your comment lacks intelligence or wit. But perhaps you felt your assessment a Revelation worthy of all. If I had wanted vapid advice, I'd have asked you first.
Old 04-24-2006 | 01:47 PM
OCBen
Banned

I thought your question was about fuel cells not gas tanks.
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:52 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
I thought your question was about fuel cells not gas tanks.
You are correct. There are several available but the one I'm specifically interested in is a 100L (27 gal) one for 996's that I am not sure if anyone has inquired about, but I thought perhaps someone had.

I do not know about larger fuel tanks, do you?
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

You're confused.

A fuel cell is what powers an electric vehicle. You fill your tank with hydrogen and the fuel cell combines the hydrogen with the oxygen in the air in an electrochemical process to produce electricity. There are conversion kits available for existing cars.

Say gas tank if that's what you're talking about. You've got everyone confused with your terminology. Sorry.
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
You're confused.

A fuel cell is what powers an electric vehicle. You fill your tank with hydrogen and the fuel cell combines the hydrogen with the oxygen in the air in an electrochemical process to produce electricity. There are conversion kits available for existing cars.

Say gas tank if that's what you're talking about. You've got everyone confused with your terminology. Sorry.
Well, I am sorry for any confusion, but it isn't mine. I am very familiar with the oxidation of hydrogen to liberate energy which may then be coverted to use in any number of ways. Although rudimentary systems are available for autos at this time it is a hideously inefficent and impractical modality at this point.

This is the type of "fuel cell" I meant;
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product

You're just thinking too much like a Rocket Man today
Old 04-24-2006 | 03:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Sorry man, my apologies. I had no idea the term fuel cell was being misapplied like that. Oh well, so long as others understood what you meant. I know I was confused, but no big deal. That happens all the time.
Old 04-24-2006 | 04:36 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Thanks

I apologize for misinterpreting your question .
You did not mean to replace your existing tank with a larger one .
You meant to ADD another one.
May I suggest you look at one of those rubber "form fitting" tanks available for boats ? ( Probably a LOT cheaper than the one in your link )

But to continue .
If I understand you correctly , you want to stick this additional tank into your luggage compartment and fill it up with gasoline at todays prices.
You then intend to "hoard" these 27 gals. until the gas price goes up ... to say $ 4.00 / gallon next summer ?
Why that should save you .. let's see . Hmmm 27 gal. x 4 , minus what you
paid today , plus the difference in tax ... WHY THAT COULD CONCEIVABLY SAVE YOU ALMOST $ 30 ( US )
(Forgetting the capital expenditure costs for the auxiliary tank etc. of course )

I must say , there are very few " vapid " moments on this site . Lol
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:12 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

I apologize for misinterpreting your question .
You did not mean to replace your existing tank with a larger one .
You meant to ADD another one.
May I suggest you look at one of those rubber "form fitting" tanks available for boats ? ( Probably a LOT cheaper than the one in your link )

But to continue .
If I understand you correctly , you want to stick this additional tank into your luggage compartment and fill it up with gasoline at todays prices.
You then intend to "hoard" these 27 gals. until the gas price goes up ... to say $ 4.00 / gallon next summer ?
Why that should save you .. let's see . Hmmm 27 gal. x 4 , minus what you
paid today , plus the difference in tax ... WHY THAT COULD CONCEIVABLY SAVE YOU ALMOST $ 30 ( US )
(Forgetting the capital expenditure costs for the auxiliary tank etc. of course )

I must say , there are very few " vapid " moments on this site . Lol
Dear Lord, I do seem to have asked a strange question

Why on Earth would someone bother to hoard 100L of gas???

My reason for asking is this; I find myself filling up at the pump very frequently. I don't like doing this at any price. I was just seeing if anyone had a bigger gas tank so that these stops would be less frequent. That's it, end of story.

Sorry I was cynical to you previously but I perceived you were being cynical towards me.

I didn't think my question was so strange, but I guess it shows how strange I am
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:29 PM
DMin
Instructor

allegretto

Personally, I don't think your question was so strange, and I have thought about getting a larger capacity gas tank on both my 996GT3 when I still had it as well as on my current 997 C2S Cab. I'd love to hear from someone who has done this to see if it is worth the effort. I like the notion of going farther between fill-ups.

And I think Rolf is just being a bit of an ***. A larger tank is not going to cost a gazillion $$ (whatever that means). Besides, if someone is going to call into question the use of another persons own money for frivolous purchases, just about everyone who posts on this web forum would be guilty of the same frivolous use of money, i.e. buying Porsches as opposed to, say, Kia Sedonas.
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:52 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Dear Lord, I do seem to have asked a strange question

Why on Earth would someone bother to hoard 100L of gas???

My reason for asking is this; I find myself filling up at the pump very frequently. I don't like doing this at any price. I was just seeing if anyone had a bigger gas tank so that these stops would be less frequent. That's it, end of story.

Sorry I was cynical to you previously but I perceived you were being cynical towards me.

I didn't think my question was so strange, but I guess it shows how strange I am

The main reason why Porsche put in only a 60 liter tank is to save weight up front and of course also the lack of space.
Another 100 liters will add over 150 lbs. up front and that may affect how the car handles .
Another thing to consider with an aux. tank would be how to fill it and transfer the gas back to the main tank .

So unless you drive in a very rural area where gas stations are few and far in between , I would not consider the option. And most certainly not because of any concerns about gas prices as you originally implied .
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:53 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

wouldn't an extra/ larger tank causes the car to weight more and makes the car use more gas?
Old 04-24-2006 | 06:12 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

it might cure some of the understeer associated with the light front end
Old 04-24-2006 | 06:28 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

And most certainly not because of any concerns about gas prices as you originally implied .
Rolf, perhaps this is a language thing. I never expressed or implied that prices had anything to do with my question. In fact, I stated unequivocally that prices were out of my control ("no point in crying")

This is not some new idea of mine based on current gas prices, I've thought of this years ago, but most of my cars had bigger tanks than this one or more crusing range.

Now, about additional weight... don't racers carry around this weight? Why is this wrong for milder street application?

This is like Firesign Theatre...

Quick Reply: Has anyone looked into installing a 100L fuel cell?