Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want things like 19's, sport steering wheel, pasm, xenons, etc..., then you are paying 5500-6000 for a larger motor, larger brakes, and higher resale value(model up vs. option up). Seems like a no brainer to me. But...if you don't want those options, and the performance of the larger motor is not worth 10k to you, then it is equally simple...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:00 PM
steve775
Instructor

Also the S-model sits lower and has the superior red brakes. GET THE S!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

The current Total 911 - British mag - has a comparison test between a Cayman S and a Carrera S (Tip). Very interesting.
Old 04-22-2006, 04:11 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Great comments, everyone! Thanks for being objective - I know its easy to vote for what you drive. We went this morning and drove the Cayman and a 997 cab - the only 997 and 997 S coupes they had in stock were Tips, so we'll go back later and drive the S manual.

My impression of the 997 cab was that it was heavier than my 996 coupe, but not terribly so. Everything in the car is more refined and in most cases slightly better than my '03, including shifter, ride (it was wet so no testing traction/handling), ergonomics, and even the stock seats. Downsides were clutch is now too light (hopefully it wouldn't seem so after a while) and magazines are dead on about the steering feeling slightly numb at slower speeds. Power delivery is smooth and seems weaker than my 996, but that could have been the weight and/or the fact that is *is* smoother in the delivery (mine feels like a kick in the pants, this felt like a smooth push).

My impression of the Cayman was very positive too. The car feels smaller, lighter, and easier to push hard with zero effort. Exhaust sound is higher and more raspy, and louder due to less insulation. It felt a little more communicative in steering and throttle, and I wasn't cramped inside (despite being a big guy at 6'1" and 235). It is stripped down in options, meaning even more to tack on, but I thought it was very impressive and wouldn't miss the power if I didn't already own a 320 hp 996. I don't like the look nearly as much as the 911 (any model). What's odd, when I'm driving the Cayman the choice between the two is very tough - when I'm not driving it, I want the 911.

So I'm pretty positive I'll get the 997 or 997S, but Porsche did a great job with the Cayman. I expect a lot of first drive sales. Now regarding the salesman, someone mentioned builidng a relationship and they were right on - this is not a Chevy dealership, and both Atlanta Porsche dealerships have been extremely knowledgeable and pressure-free. Right off the bat his attitude was "Yes, I work on commission so selling you a cheaper car - whether its a cheaper model or more discounts - means less for me now, but I want you to be 100% satisfied so you come back to me for your next one." We even pulled up his allocation inventory so I could look at what slots he has open, what is on the ship, and what other customers have ordered - very up front.

So as much fun as the Cayman was, I think I will pass (the wife might want one now, though). I'll go back and test drive the S and see if I can tell a big difference. The car will be a daily driver for me so the extra power is great (can you have too much?) but not a requirement. I'm considering loading it up with all the options I want and just keeping it a whlie - the question is, how long can I go before I'm ready to swap again?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Doug - Alfie is right on in his comments. It's hard to see the value in buying the base 997 over an S.

I also agree with you on the Cayman...it is terrific. I liked it so much I bought the rag top version

In my experience (and my friends) Ellis tends to be more willing to deal, and both dealers are doing a great job of service.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Chris - good to know! I will most definitely talk to both of them before making a final decision.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:10 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by gravedgr
as much fun as the Cayman was, I think I will pass (the wife might want one now, though).
Great, I finally get a Porsche only to find out it is a chick car.

Alan
Old 04-22-2006, 08:30 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Knowing what I knew then, I understand why I leased the base. Knowing what I know now, I would have bought an s. That said, I have no choice but to consider my base a "trainer" for the remaining 24 months and look forward to being well informed for my next p-car purchase in 2008.

Go for the s. Good luck.

Quick Reply: New 997 questions