Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering wheel not on straight ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 04:57 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel not on straight ??

Forgive my lack of technical knowledge in this...can anyone help explain the situation I have, and does anyone else have it?

Here goes... When driving straignt on a flat road (ie no camber) my 997S tracks straight, but the steering wheel is a couple of degrees of center (to the left).
When driving on a road with camber down from right to left (ie Highway in the fast lane) the wheel appears to be on straight, and when driving on a road with the camber the other way (ie slow lane on highway) the wheel appears more like 4 degrees of center (to the left).

Can anyone help explain this? Is it a fault with the set up? Do all 997s do the same? Either way it's starting to drive me a little nuts !!

Help appreciated please.

Old 04-20-2006, 05:18 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

You did not mention if your car came new this way or if it developed over time. Mine had it straight off the boat and an adjustment of the front suspension (done free under warranty) fixed it right away.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:23 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Originally Posted by chrisdaniel1
You did not mention if your car came new this way or if it developed over time. Mine had it straight off the boat and an adjustment of the front suspension (done free under warranty) fixed it right away.
It didn't come that way, I first noticed it a couple of weeks after delivery (Feb 06) when I put winter tires on. I went to the dealer and they thought it was within tollerances and said to come back if it still does it with summer tires ....so they were really helpful...NOT !!

Chris - do you know EXACTLY what they did to resolve the issue?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:39 PM
chrisdaniel1
Advanced

According to the work order, "adjust toe angle camber." From other threads, apparently this can happen when the cars are winched down onto a palet for transport. When I brought it in the dealer didn't bat an eye and acted like they saw it all the time.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:17 PM
snarf
Instructor

It's been a few years since I took a spanner to a car but in 1980 when I rebuilt my Lotus Elan after fitting a new chassis I remember setting up the suspension in accordance with the manual and then finally aligning the steering wheel by adjusting the track-rod ends - half a turn clockwise on one side matched by half a turn anti-clockwise on the other.

Toe-in shouldn't affect steering wheel alignment as this should be equal on both sides of the car, neither I can see any reason why winter v summer tyres should make any difference. On the other hand I could see why a brush with the kerb for example might throw the steering wheel off-centre.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P-Nuts
I went to the dealer and they thought it was within tollerances and said to come back if it still does it with summer tires ....so they were really helpful...NOT !!
The alignment was a little off on my car, so I brought it in for an alignment a couple of weeks after buying it. They fixed the alignment, but the straight-ahead was still a little off on my car, much as yours seems to be. I called my dealer, and they told me to bring it in when it was convenient for me, as alignments are covered free for the first three months after delivery. So I brought it back a couple of weeks later, and waited for about 30 minutes while they fixed it.

Your dealer doesn't sound too concerned about you. Don't let them get away with it.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel not on straight ??