Sponsored by:

Swap out PCCB for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap out PCCB for track days?

I wanted to find out if people swap out their PCCB for steel when doing track days. Someone posted that they don't really last any longer on the track. I don't want to have to replace them anytime soon being knowing how much that would cost. What do others do?

steve
Old 04-17-2006, 12:33 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, most serious GT3 drivers used the steel rotors for the track.
I'm sure that if you are not that hard on them they should be OK, but then what's the point of going to the track if you are not going to use ALL your car?
I'm also sure, 1 track day won't make them fail. Don't know about PCCB but I'm sure they also have more suitable "track" pads than the OEM ones, so at least I will try to find out about that.
Also, the bigger problems people had was with the 1st gen PCCB's, 2nd Gen are supposed to be better and also Porsche has retracted a lot of its marketing claims which is what pissed most serious drivers off after experiecning wear or failure in their PCCB rotors...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:49 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Thanks for the info cgomez. I plan on doing maybe 2-4 track events per year and 3-5 autox per year. I'll try the PCCB on the autox and see how they do.

As for if I'm hard on the brakes, on my 96' M3 brakes generally lasted me about 8k to 12k miles depending on the track events I would do. I just have no reference point for the Porsche yet. I would hate to burn them up on the track though. Thanks.

steve
Old 04-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Chriz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone swap out the PCCB for track use? If you want to swap then do the opposite. Track = PCCB, everyday use = steel.

The PCCB has its most advantages on the track. For normal use on public roads they arent any better than steel rotors.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Chriz
Why would anyone swap out the PCCB for track use? If you want to swap then do the opposite. Track = PCCB, everyday use = steel.

The PCCB has its most advantages on the track. For normal use on public roads they arent any better than steel rotors.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Chriz and Riad - the reason people use steel rotors on track is that the Gen I PCCB rotors did not live up to durability claims made by Porsche. If you search the Gt2/3 forum you will find all the stories. Anyone who tracked his PCCB car seriously ended up with ruined rotors. They are not covered by the warranty. When I wrecked mine, they cost $8,700 US Each. I repeat, EACH. Prices have dropped a little and I think they cost ONLY $7,000 EACH on a 997.

You can see why we switched to cast iron.

The jury is still out on the Gen II versions as fitted to the 997 series cars. I would be suspicious though. The cost benefit ratio for PCCB on a car which sees a lot of track use is just not there. 997 Cup cars come with PCCB standard and some of the teams are switching to conventional rotors. PCCB last longer but the replacement cost is out of line with the increased durability. If you have PCCB and track the car, try the Pagid RS-19 pads, they help prolong rotor life.

Regards,
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
If you have PCCB and track the car, try the Pagid RS-19 pads, they help prolong rotor life.

I thought that the pads were specific to the brakes. Is that not the case? Are the pads from the S the same as the pads for the PCCB and also same for the non-s for that matter?

steve
Old 04-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There are different pads for the PCCB rotors (from the steel rotors).

Dan
Old 04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Prior to ordering my C4S Cabriolet with PCCBs, I checked with the parts department at the Porsche dealer as to costs involved in repairs. I was told that Porsche has over 180,000 TRACK miles on the second generation PCCBs, with no sign of rotor wear. The cost of pads and sensors is a few dollers more than the standard brakes.

Jerry
Old 04-17-2006, 07:36 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Bob,

Thanks for the explanation, that's very disheartening. Do you have any metrics on the PCCB gen II's and when they are supposed to be available?

Rob
Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN
Prior to ordering my C4S Cabriolet with PCCBs, I checked with the parts department at the Porsche dealer as to costs involved in repairs. I was told that Porsche has over 180,000 TRACK miles on the second generation PCCBs, with no sign of rotor wear. The cost of pads and sensors is a few dollers more than the standard brakes.

Jerry

Great minds think alike. Prior to ordering the PCCB for my C2S Cab I did the same thing. The PCCB pads were $100 more than the non-PCCB brakes,--roughly $350 for the PCCB pads.

Over time the rotor costs should drop. Was talking to a 996 TT guy who dropped by my dealership when I was in there and he showed me his PCCBs on his turbo,--14,000 miles on them and absolutely no wear evident at all. I think they finally fixed the problem,--unfortunately at the expense of the first gen. buyers. Personally,--I think Porsche owes them big time.

Dan
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMAGOLAN

Jerry

Whoa 180,000 miles??!! Are you sure. If that's the case, I feel much more confident to use them on the track. I don't mind having to replace the pads @ $350 but would not like the expense of the rotors. Has anyone measured rotor thickness before and after an event?

steve
Old 04-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Chriz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Chriz and Riad - the reason people use steel rotors on track is that the Gen I PCCB rotors did not live up to durability claims made by Porsche.
From what i know stom_m3 drives a 06 997S which is equipped with 2nd gen PCCB.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

It's a 997 so it should be the second gen.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:38 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

Whoa 180,000 miles??!! Are you sure. If that's the case, I feel much more confident to use them on the track. I don't mind having to replace the pads @ $350 but would not like the expense of the rotors. Has anyone measured rotor thickness before and after an event?

steve

My initial reaction was also scepticism, but after checking with another local dealer, I received the same answer (I asked if they knew the lifespan of the second generation PCCBs, and after the usual disclaimers of "depends on driving style, etc., was told of the Porsche AG experience with them). Unless the Dealers are conspiring to sell these things with misinformation, the story is 180,000 track miles with no appreciable wear.

Jerry

Quick Reply: Swap out PCCB for track days?