Sponsored by:

Squeaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 03:34 AM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My driver seat squeaks upon entering and exiting the vehicle. I lost weight since I bought the car and must be so ripped now the car is just adjusting.

Other than that back seat belts rattle when my son doesn't put it back in its harness properly, I dont bug him about it though cuz he's only 7.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:14 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I've read a few reviews of the Carrera lately that complain of squeaks and rattles in the cockpit. I currently have a Boxster S and it, too, suffers from many squeaks and rattles...it drives me nuts. Is this just a Porsche thing that I should get used to, or is it anomolous? What's been the experience of the good people here wrt to squeaks and rattles in their 997s?
Rattles and squeaks are quite easy to identify and repair as long as they are persistent and you have another person who can ride along with you to identify the source of the rattle. Rattles are way down on my list of concerns when buying a car.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Yeah, you'd THINK they'd be easy to remedy when identified. I took my last car, a Boxster S, to the service dept. no less than 8-10 times to fix squeaks and rattles. Some fixed, some not. On the last visit, the service manager simply refused to open the dash again - he was more frustrated at his inability to fix the thing than I was. I finally decided it wasn't worth it. I could have spoken to the manager, raised a stink, etc., but I honestly believe the service guy was doing everything in his ability to fix the noises and simply couldn't. I decided to give all of us a big break and live with the minor noises they couldn't remedy.

Yesterday, I stopped by the dealership to pick up a set of painted wheel crests and was talking to a salesman about the persistent squeaks and rattles. His response? "That shouldn't happen. Bring it in." While he's absolutely right, I have no doubt there's plenty of tension between Sales and Service at Porsche dealerships. Again, I figure I have bigger fish to fry and, really, it's not that annoying when you just learn to accept it. If it was a Mercedes or Lexus, where I'd experience a spa-like environment while driving, then I'd be a hardass about it - I figure the peace and quiet is about 50% of what you pay for with those cars anyway. But a Porsche? Nah. I bought this car because it friggin' kicks ***, not because I expect a spa-like experience when I get behind the wheel.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:04 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Actually rattles shouldn't be that hard for them to fix because each model has a tendency to develop rattles in particular areas, and so it's more than likely that the ratlles you have were the same as someone else already experienced. Now on the other hand fixing rattles is a tiresome job that normally doesn't generate a lot of hours for the mechanic, so I can understand their reluctance to repair multiple rattles.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Hi,
My 997 S would have a rattle once and awhile. I would
just turn the radio up and they went away. I
drove a Boxer the other day and the rattles were incredible.
If you want to read about rattles, then go to their
site. I could not belive all the rattles.
Paul
Old 01-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought I had a rattle on my club coupe--it was the seat belt buckle on the passenger side, hitting the seat back on bumps. That's not really a rattle per se, as you just have to position the seat so the metal buckle doesn't touch the seat back. And boy, did I feel stupid, when I asked the dealer to work it out, when I had the annual service done (which was the only thing the car's been back to the dealer for--knock wood).

Mine's quiet as a church mouse as far as rattles go

Some rattle, others don't. Have your dealer take a look at it, if you have a rattle you cannot live with.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:48 PM
rkeyser
Advanced

I've owned 10 Porsches since 1993. The only one that didn't rattle was an 05 993 which was very tight. My 997 had 4 or 5 rattles going on at the same time. I put up with them because the rest of the driving experience is great.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:59 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people miss the point about rattles. It's not whether a little felt can take care of the problem. It's whether rattles on a 90 K car is suggestive of shoddy workmanship. Quiteing rattles with felt is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rkeyser
I've owned 10 Porsches since 1993. The only one that didn't rattle was an 05 993 which was very tight. My 997 had 4 or 5 rattles going on at the same time. I put up with them because the rest of the driving experience is great.
if i knew i could have picked up an 05 993, i would have gotten that over my 997 2 yrs ago
Old 01-16-2007, 11:33 PM
73vwbug
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by boolala
I think people miss the point about rattles. It's not whether a little felt can take care of the problem. It's whether rattles on a 90 K car is suggestive of shoddy workmanship. Quiteing rattles with felt is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Ditto
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

06 997S, no squeaks or rattles, it's very tight. So is my brothers 06 997S. Had an 03 C4S that was quiet as well. Come to think of it every porsche I've every owned or riden in has had a quite tight interior.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:02 AM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Are the rattles you are all talking about about ones that occur over very rough roads? Or also smooth surfaces as well or all the time?
I get a few in mine but one on the roughest of roads. SO its an occasional annoyance and not too bad when i hear it.
But one would expcect better on such a car
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly.

My feeling is that if the car needs felt pieces to prevent rattles then the felt should have been put in at the factory!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
DMR
AutoX

I have a 06 C2 and unfortunately I have to add myself to the list of people with rattles coming from the rear windows. They are more pronounced over rough roads, but even the smallest bumps seem to set them off. When I first picked up the car, the passenger side rearview mirror whistled and the dealer switched it for another one. I realize that no car can be perfectly rattle free, and I have no complaints about my car's handling or performance, but I expected a little more from a 911. If anyone has come across a solution for these rear window noises, please post.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by boolala
Exactly.

My feeling is that if the car needs felt pieces to prevent rattles then the felt should have been put in at the factory!
Yup, especially if it's a well documented issue.

Quick Reply: Squeaks and rattles