Sponsored by:

Please Don't Shoot Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I thought "engine braking" is when you take your foot off the accelerator and downshift at the same time.
Same thing in that the compression resistance of the engine slows the car down. For break-in purposes it's best to leave it in the same gear without down-shifting. Btw, this practice of down-shifting through the gears to slow the car down is not recommended as it contributes to wear on the clutch. Guys used to do it thinking it minimizes having to use the brakes (i.e. minimizes brake dust) but at the expense of the clutch. It's always cheaper to replace the pads and clean the wheels than it is to replace the clutch.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:23 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Same thing in that the compression resistance of the engine slows the car down. For break-in purposes it's best to leave it in the same gear without down-shifting. Btw, this practice of down-shifting through the gears to slow the car down is not recommended as it contributes to wear on the clutch. Guys used to do it thinking it minimizes having to use the brakes (i.e. minimizes brake dust) but at the expense of the clutch. It's always cheaper to replace the pads and clean the wheels than it is to replace the clutch.
oh! come on now ben!
i've never used engine braking to save on brake pads or to save brake pad dust from accumalating on the wheels!
during sprited driving i use it for performance and control of the vehicle.
i've never had any clutch problems related to engine braking!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by icon
oh! come on now ben!
i've never used engine braking to save on brake pads or to save brake pad dust from accumalating on the wheels!
during sprited driving i use it for performance and control of the vehicle.
i've never had any clutch problems related to engine braking!
Read my lips! I'm referring to everyday street driving and the showboating practice of downshifting for the sole purpose of slowing the car down instead of using the brakes. Who said anything about clutch problems? ... I said it contributes to the wear on the clutch. You either slow the car down via the friction of the brake pads or the friction of the clutch plate and the friction of the engine. I suppose you could be careful in trying to match engine revs as you downshift to minimize the wear on the clutch. ... I'm not at all referring to any aspects of performance driving.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:14 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Read my lips!
i didnt see dennis's lips move at all?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:26 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah I know, wish I had access to one of those moving emoticons of lips flapping.

Quick Reply: Please Don't Shoot Me