Sponsored by:

Bad Evo motorsports experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 07:51 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I can't find one around here, I guess the guys in my local Porsche club don't want their factory warranties voided on a 100k car and neither do I. On cars that cost so much the factory warranty actually means something to some folks.
I agree with Coochas. We all modify our cars in someway whether it’s simply putting on clear side markers or installing a sc. That is also why Porsche has an extensive "options" catalogue. Just because it comes from Porsche doesn’t make it any less of a mod (X51 vs. sc for example). So what if a mod voids your warranty. If you are concerned about warranties buy a Hyundai (10 Years 100,000). A good number of people who can buy a $100k sports car and $15-20k in mods can afford a new engine and not be concerned.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:52 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Agree completely with you Dave (aka coochas). I could care less about warranty myself...I want to keep modifying...it's fun (and I'm bored) and it is my second favorite hobby.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:38 PM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 911 with manual but can not do heel and toe ?

Something is not fair here.
You buy a Porsche,a 911,even it is not the GT3.
But it is still a 911.
A benchmark of sports car,
and with manual transmission for sporty driving,

yet we can not do heel and toe any more?

I don't get it ! Does this problem of not able to heel and toe
also happen at stock (non modified) 997?
or only happen after the S/C modification?

And Ruf also make their supercharger kit,
I assume it will be more expensive then the Evo kit,
but maybe some one who interested in the S/C kit
should check whether car with Ruf S/C kit allowed heel and toe...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:57 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorschePhD

I originally told you that you could not heel toe a drive by wire car.
Hold on a moment. I'm not going to argue with you because I am certain that if you can install a supercharger you are way ahead of me in the wrench department.

However;

I have an 06 997 C4S Cab and I am ready to bet you the pink slip of my car against yours that I can heel-toe the living poop out of my car. I do it for grins all the time, and I do it at the track all the time.

So again, no disrespect, but I'm not at all sure what you are speaking about. Can you expand for me?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:59 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
Let me see :

Base 997 S 355 HP = ( $ 82 K (US $)
EVO supercharger 140 HP = ( 15 K )
Fabspeed exhaust syst. ~ 50 HP = ( 5 K )
Fabspeed CA intake &filter ~ 15 HP = ( negl. )
--------------------------------------------
total : ~ 560 HP = ( $ 102 K )
Hey Rolf, pass the bong my way dude.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:35 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bet away, because even the twin does it. You can get around some of it by not braking aggressively but if you come on the brakes hard with the gas it WILL close the throttle body. This has nothing to do with any kit but is in the programming from Porsche. In fact it was a question recently if the GT3 suffers from the same issue. Like the PSM it can or can not be a pain depending on how smooth you are on the track. But this is something we call have dealt with. I constantly have dealt with it on my twin. PSM on or off, yaw control is always present. Do a search in the TT form and you will see guys complain about this non-stop. I haven't tracked a 997 yet so I do not know, but I will bet you every car I own that the drive by wire 996 does it.

So if you really want to bet come on up I could use another car in my stall.

As far as what Porsche does, did you ever think that a true sports car would have a cup holder? Things change.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:42 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by prosper
or only happen after the S/C modification?
No, this has nothing to do with the kits, it is called Yaw control and is independent of the PSM. I have the technical bulletin from the release in the DBW 2000 cars. The C4 was the first DBW 996 that had it. I will see if I can copy the file and post.

As far as the 997, I do not know 100%. I understand that the TT has the PSM watered down a bit so perhaps the same exist for the 997 and Yaw. I have modified and built many 997s, but I have not tracked any yet.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

I originally told you that you could not heel toe a drive by wire car.
That's very interesting. So you are saying if I mash the brakes for an emergency stop, blip the throttle while on brakes, the throttle will stay shut?
Then shouldn't brake torque starts also have problems? Or does the car have to be in motion first? All this is quite shocking news to me. I'll have to try that now.
Another reason why PDK should come sooner than later!
Old 05-21-2006, 01:57 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

If you hit the gas and mash the brakes the throttle goes closed. If you let up on the brake then the system will return. It just depends on how hard you hit the brakes. If you are at speed and slam them hard then the system shuts down and the car needs to be switched off and back on. Much like the 89 951 and the over boost. We are not talking about blipping the throttle rather a holding pattern of both. Like I mentioned it has a lot to do with driving. If you try a poor man's dyno you will find the car flat out stops.

I will check a 997S we have in the shop now on Monday if it is as bad as the 996.

TQ brake starts on the twin tip we use the E brake
Old 05-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I had heard about this several months ago but with the style of test driving I did (not that aggressive) I never encountered an issue with it. But there is something going on in there in their throttle by wire.

Dan
Old 05-21-2006, 02:03 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Correct, just like the PSM. Some have real issues with it, others are not. It has to do with how well you handle the car and what it thinks as far as you being out of control. Some swear by it, others who are not as smooth hate it. If you are aggressive and not smooth both systems are going to close. The 997 is suppose to be less intrusive then the 996 according to everything I have seen come across my desk.

Dr. Hynes car was one of the first generation DBW cars.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:36 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something or have lost my mind.
My 02X50 will not allow me to use the gas and brake simultaneously when the clutch is engaged (it's a useful technique in awd cars for corner exit- but moot for us since our computers don't allow it. Try it in the snow if you have an Audi quattro).
But, I haven't noticed the phenomenon when the clutch is depressed. My personal technique involves somewhat lighter braking at the beginning of the blip, and much harder braking as the clutch is released. Do others find they can't blip when the clutch pedal is in and they are braking? Stepehen, it sounds like that is what you are saying. AS
Old 05-21-2006, 08:33 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Bet away, because even the twin does it. You can get around some of it by not braking aggressively but if you come on the brakes hard with the gas it WILL close the throttle body. This has nothing to do with any kit but is in the programming from Porsche. In fact it was a question recently if the GT3 suffers from the same issue. Like the PSM it can or can not be a pain depending on how smooth you are on the track. But this is something we call have dealt with. I constantly have dealt with it on my twin. PSM on or off, yaw control is always present. Do a search in the TT form and you will see guys complain about this non-stop. I haven't tracked a 997 yet so I do not know, but I will bet you every car I own that the drive by wire 996 does it.

So if you really want to bet come on up I could use another car in my stall.

As far as what Porsche does, did you ever think that a true sports car would have a cup holder? Things change.
Well I've had not only myself but a very experienced race driver, likely with more experience than both of us drive my car at 9/10's with the PSM off as well and we have not seen it.

Fair enough, drive the 997 in your shop, since I am not going to the track this weekend I won't be able to check it there but I'll try it on the street here to see it I can make it shut down.

FWIW I do drive very smooth on the track for a guy with little previous track experience, but I am hardly slow. But I'll get a little abusive.

I guess I'll really have to stand on the brake while I blip, but that's not good for rev matching.

Get back at you. You get back at me.

Hey, BTW, will you tell me what you know about my jack point question.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:58 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Maybe I'm missing something or have lost my mind.
My 02X50 will not allow me to use the gas and brake simultaneously when the clutch is engaged (it's a useful technique in awd cars for corner exit- but moot for us since our computers don't allow it. Try it in the snow if you have an Audi quattro).
But, I haven't noticed the phenomenon when the clutch is depressed. My personal technique involves somewhat lighter braking at the beginning of the blip, and much harder braking as the clutch is released. Do others find they can't blip when the clutch pedal is in and they are braking? Stepehen, it sounds like that is what you are saying. AS
Yes sir! Thats it.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
Well I've had not only myself but a very experienced race driver, likely with more experience than both of us drive my car at 9/10's with the PSM off as well and we have not seen it.

Fair enough, drive the 997 in your shop, since I am not going to the track this weekend I won't be able to check it there but I'll try it on the street here to see it I can make it shut down.

FWIW I do drive very smooth on the track for a guy with little previous track experience, but I am hardly slow. But I'll get a little abusive.

I guess I'll really have to stand on the brake while I blip, but that's not good for rev matching.

Get back at you. You get back at me.

Hey, BTW, will you tell me what you know about my jack point question.
I think the real question is the 997 different than the 996. Clearly it is. But how much is the question. Again, how smooth you are makes a big difference.

I will check the car and get back to you.

ON the jack points. Bring the front up together from one side, place jack stands on the jack mount and on the control arm mount then move it again once the jack is off the pad. Once the front is up go to the rear and place a block of wood at the mount behind the cats. Bring the rear up and jack stand the rear pads....That’s it. It takes a little time running around with the jack but this is the easiest way.

Quick Reply: Bad Evo motorsports experience