Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Most profitable auto manufacturer". Rant!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Most profitable auto manufacturer". Rant!

So I don't like the footrest on my car. Doesn't match the other pedals and is dull. Me thinks a little personalization is in order here. Now Wessach makes a beautifully machined aluminum pedal set, 4 pieces w rubber inserts for $259 that I check out but they dont seem to fit well to me. Too bad. Hmmm... in Tequipment catalog they show a "Sport-look footrest" It allegedly is "made from hard-wearing material...functionally and visually appealing". I don't know about that but it seems to match the rest of pedals. Why this should be an extra on a $90K car is beyond me but....Call to Brandywine, it lists at $220!, they have it discounted and he agrees to ship no charge. Well...Ok. At that price it must be something special, no? It comes today. It's a piece of plastic with clips on the back! A piece of very cheap looking plastic for...'s sake. Can't weigh 2 oz's. "alum" trim is fake. A total POS (warned you this was a rant) Wtf is wrong with these people?(sorry, see disclaimer).It is going back- Beware. And shame on Porsche. May seem silly to you, but I an genuinely upset by this. And so it goes.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Genuine Porsche parts . . . Genuine Porsche prices.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:47 PM
ame546
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to ultimate pedals and buy theirs
Old 04-07-2006, 03:30 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% and it scares the cr*p outta me. Not only for Porsche but ANY mfgr can start with this price gouging. A chinzy ignition part for a lawnmower costs us$130!!!!! Blood pressure pills can cost us$10 a day! It's disgusting. Seems like Ferrari was definitely far ahead of the times when they started charging what they charge for parts. Think of the future when your 997 is beyond the warrenty and you need 3 new control modules at us$1500 a piece: nightmare!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:36 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I looked at the foot rest at my nearest dealer and almost had a heart-attack when he told me that the part is $260.00 with my PCA discount and without tax. I've know the parts guy for over five years, so I told him to stick the part where the sun don't shine.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:50 PM
woody-77
Racer

ame546...I came to the 997 board just to look at your avatar...Wow, she's incredible.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Did they force you to buy it? You have a choice.

Go to Carnewal and look at the pedals they have to offer. You get the pedal set (including foot rest) for about the price Porsche charge for the footrest alone. And the quality is like the Ruf pedals.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Did they force you to buy it? You have a choice.

Go to Carnewal and look at the pedals they have to offer. You get the pedal set (including foot rest) for about the price Porsche charge for the footrest alone. And the quality is like the Ruf pedals.
Missing the point Chef? Having any respect for their consumers they would not try so shameful a rip off (Have you seen it?). That of course is only my opinion. I will try your suggestion. Thank you
Old 04-07-2006, 05:42 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

A lot of people can say that anyone buying a sports car or high end car is being ripped off. When you think about it, how much more do you think it costs MB to build an S-class vs Chevy to build its Impala. They primarily use the same parts and in a A LOT of cases these parts are made by the same manufacturer. They all have 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

We are by no stretch of the imagination getting $100,000 worth of EXTRA value when we choose to purchase an S class over an Impala - so in that sense anyone who is buying an S Class is getting ripped off. But it's a free world and people are able to sell what they want and buy what they want. You chose not to buy those pedals, but you can't blame someone for trying to make a buck.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD
ANY mfgr can start with this price gouging
Definition of price gouging: pricing above the market when no alternative retailer is available. Hardly the case. Just go with any of the other retailers suggested in this thread.

Personally, I am glad that Porsche cars are expensive (relative to other cars) and that Porsche parts are expensive (relative to other parts). Otherwise everybody would have a Porsche and I might as well buy a Kia Rio again.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:33 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by RR
A lot of people can say that anyone buying a sports car or high end car is being ripped off. But it's a free world and people are able to sell what they want and buy what they want. .
It is common knowledge that well-meaning people buy Ferraris and are eventually forced to sell them because the maintenance costs are too high.

Again, everybody who buys a Ferrari should know this, no excuses, because it's common knowledge.

With Porsche, we might be on the verge of a cost change. One where they start charging astronomical amounts for parts just to increase profits even more.

I'd like to know about it, if it is happening, if it is going to get worse, because I'm not happy about getting repeatedly screwed just to keep the car on the road. Maint costs are way different from overpaying for your brand new car you're excited about and willing to pay extra for especially if a new MYear.

Don't get me wrong, I expected Porsche service and maint to be extremely expensive, but it is SUPPOSED to be "cheap" compared to Ferrari; it better stay that way or I'm done with Porsche when my warrenty runs out.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Personally, I am glad that Porsche cars are expensive (relative to other cars) and that Porsche parts are expensive (relative to other parts). Otherwise everybody would have a Porsche and I might as well buy a Kia Rio again.
Does that mean that you drive a Porsche because they aren't a dime a dozen? Personally, I drive my car because I like it. I couldn't care less if everyone drove one. In fact, the world would be a better and safer place if everyone DID drive one; plus their price would come down. Your logic makes no sense to me.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Personally, I drive my car because I like it.
That's very good for you, Paul. But that still only makes you a sample of n=1. Empirical evidence points to different purchase reasons for different Porsche buyers (I've posted that a few times; see, for example, https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=100)

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Your logic makes no sense to me.
Nah, I find that hard to believe. You may not share my view, but I'm sure you understand the concept of people satisfying different needs with the same products. And the possible irrationality in some of the needs... well, I think it's good that we seek experiential rewards as much as rational rewards; otherwise nobody would listen to the music you produce, Paul.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:11 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The only reason they charge so much is because some people will pay so much. If you don't like it, find an alternative. Just like $300 oil changes. There is a sucker born every minute and any successful company will find them and sell to them.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:08 PM
ame546
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx Woody. These guys are lucky I'm addicted to Rennlist. She's all over the place.

Quick Reply: "Most profitable auto manufacturer". Rant!