Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: What do you think of the Solstice or the Sky?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts
Default OT: What do you think of the Solstice or the Sky?

Totally off-topic I know, please forgive me, but for well under $30k, what do you think of the Pontiac Solstice or the Saturn Sky?

Do either suffer from the 'chick car' syndrome? When you've seen either on the road was a male or female driving?

FWIW, I read where 1 Pontiac dealer said 90% of his Solstice sales were to men.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:07 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look "good" to people who don't know anything and who basically see Pontiac in the same league as BMW but think of BMW as overpriced. They drive like cr*p and the mechanics are deplorable. Like fashion eyewear their look will age fast and become totally forgettable.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 PM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Totally off-topic I know, please forgive me, but for well under $30k, what do you think of the Pontiac Solstice or the Saturn Sky?

Do either suffer from the 'chick car' syndrome? When you've seen either on the road was a male or female driving?

nice looking but the Miata would be my choice in that price range
as far as 'chick' or not.... sorry, at this point in life I just care about what I think, not what others think.. if you want a nicely balanced and fun drivers car then the MX5 Miatas are great... if you're more into styling and big hp then look at the Solstice V8 conversions (Vette performance)

cheers
Old 04-04-2006, 12:24 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YoungTurk

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Used S 2000 if you want a Sports Car. A good S 2000 will give a stock Porsche a run and beat it if the driver isn't good on a track.

If you want a driver, the Miata looks great.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:38 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen two, both male driver. Personally, I don't like the styling
Old 04-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

it looks good
needs more power, won't want a used one, and it's sort of expensive when loaded down with options.... when loaded with options I think you get more bang for your buck with a used 987 or S2000, etc....
Old 04-04-2006, 10:55 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't care for the styling and wouldn't buy a Pontiac(junk plastic IMO). I think they could become a chick car,but that wouldn't make a difference if I wanted one. I personally feel, if I was going that route I would get a S2000 or a Miata
Old 04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Refinement. That's always what I find lacking in those cars. From the skin out they look fine, but when you start to dig you find out how they didn't do their homework. It's very difficult (other than with pricepoints) for anyone to compete with a 911, for example, as it is refined and refined and refined. Nothing is in there by mistake.

Dan
Old 04-04-2006, 12:34 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by AudiologisTT
nice looking but the Miata would be my choice in that price range
As I recall, the two comparison tests I read split on which they liked best. Both of them were close so the General must be doing something right.

Alan
Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Refinement. That's always what I find lacking in those cars. From the skin out they look fine, but when you start to dig you find out how they didn't do their homework.
Oh..., I bet they did their homework!

They figured out which aspects of the car their typical buyer won't be concerned with and they cheapened those aspects significantly. I'm sure there are parts specifically designed materials-wise to last a specific small number of miles. That car has to be a case study in cost-cutting reverse engineering from a us$20K pricepoint. Go test drive one, I betcha it handles like a rented Kia Rio.

The part I enjoy the most is the ridiculous grille. They KNOW it is going to be f'ed up with a license plate (will look like a picture frame for the plate) but they also know the car will be bought in the showroom and no plate will be on it and the typical "processed cheese" buyer won't even think about it.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:09 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Road and Track magazine said the Solstice was crap. I like the looks but RandT said the engine and interior left a lot to be deisred.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:32 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hands down- A used Boxster, S2000 or Miata. The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are junk in sheep skins.

My 2 cents

Quick Reply: OT: What do you think of the Solstice or the Sky?