Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Care of a Leased Car: Am I a fool or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 11:23 AM
humbug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care of a Leased Car: Am I a fool or what?

I'm currently leasing my first porsche which is a C4s cab in GT silver (love it) for 4 years and picked it up 2 weeks ago...told the dealer not to touch it and detailed it myself, added clear side markers and Das Schild. Mind you, this is a leased car and my wife thinks I'm nuts because it is like a rental and I'm adding things for the next guy/gal. The question is would you add a clear bra or just drive the hell out of it and enjoy...with stone chips and all!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

It doesn’t matter if you lease or purchase stone chips will still effect you, go ahead and put the clear bra on it will make you feel better and keep the car looking good the entire time you have it.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:33 PM
TurboTom
Track Day

I also lease and take care of the car as though it were mine forever. You may decide to buy out the lease, or sell the car yourself, and you will be able to get top dollar for a top car!!

Besides, what about pride of ownership or leasership!!
Old 04-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

I lease and put the clear bra on.

It's cheap insurance to keeping the car looking good in case I actually want to buy it after the lease is up. Plus, typically the car will be worth much more than the residual amount, so you'll have a bit more equity when negotiating with the dealer on your new lease in 4 years.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:58 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you guys find a clear bra seller/installer? I have looked in the yellow pages with no luck!

Last edited by ohsixx; 04-03-2006 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:19 PM
drbf
Pro

You may decide to keep car and sell it rather than turn it in at the end of your lease and the clear bra will help maintain the value. Your dealer should
be able to recommend clear bra installers.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:54 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I am leasing and will pick up my car this week. I have already ordered the Das Schild and am trying to arrange a clear bra. I would like the car to remain in good condition while I drive it. I don't want to look at the same rock chip or hood dent for four years.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:28 PM
humbug
Advanced

You guys are making it tough! I thought I decided against the clear bra and now I'm re-thinking the whole thing. But your right, I might just buy the car after my lease.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by humbug
You guys are making it tough! I thought I decided against the clear bra and now I'm re-thinking the whole thing. But your right, I might just buy the car after my lease.
Whether you do or don't. Do you want to drive around in a stone-chipped car?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Bullet
Instructor

I'm doing the same thing - lease, clear bra, and I look after the car like I own it, for all the reasons listed above. Besides, to not care for something simply because it isn't yours is ignorant. It's akin to leaving a mess in a public bathroom just because you can. Its a shameful side of human behavior - our public property is too often abused: parks, stadiums, camp grounds. Look at fish stocks in the open sea - claimed by no one country, and overfished by all without a care for the future. I know I'm taking this too far, but I'm just trying to make a point.

-B
Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mods on a leased car are ok, just strip them off before you turn it in (except clear bra), I agree treat it like you own it, you basically do for 4 yrs.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 AM
boolala
Race Car

Yes. And in case no one else has mentioned it you might decide to purchase it at lease end.

Or, how's this: treat it like you bought it but drive it like you stole it.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:30 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you may buy it, put the clear bra on and acessorize it.

If there is not intention of buying it, do upgrades that you can resell later. I would skip the bra unless it's driven in bad weather or on rocky roads. Even the best bra installed has lines which is close to a few rocks in aethetics in my mind.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I dunno you wouldn't walk up to someone who bought a 4 year old used porsche and start hacking at the paint with a blunt object - so why do it then give it to them?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:58 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Paint chips can cost you when you turn the car back in the form of excess wear and tear. The cost of a clear bra is probably more than the leasing company will charge so it comes down to how you like your car to look. When I leased a Subaru WRX for a winter beater I thought I wouldn't care too much about it. Turned out that I treated it just like every other car I have ever owned.

Alan

Quick Reply: Care of a Leased Car: Am I a fool or what?