Sponsored by:

Door ding repair in OC

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door ding repair in OC

Can anyone recommend a good paintless door ding repair guy in So Cal. I am in the South OC area and some ahole got me dead center of the rear quarter panel right at the center of the wheel arch on the outer edge. Couldn’t be in a more noticeable spot. Looks like the guy just threw his door into it. The parking lot was dark and I did not see it until the next morning.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Phil S
Advanced

I am in North County and don't know what area this guy serves, but he is very good and has fixed numerous cars in our household over the years. His name is Mark Davis and he calls himself M.D. Dings. His cell number is 714-264-9607.

The worst occassion I had to call him was a few years ago for my wife's one week old Mercedes that had a ding right on the crease on the door. Mark made it go away. I have probably used him a dozen times over the years. I am a sicko when it comes to the condition of my cars, but Mark makes me well.

Phil
Old 03-31-2006, 04:10 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Thanks Phil. I called Mark and he is going to have a look. He said it would be very tough there do to the area being double panel.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blind panels are tough. I recently has South County Auto Body in Lake Forest do a rocker panel repair for me. They did a good job. They also do paintless dent removal.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Thanks Peter that will be plan B. I also had a scratch that the deal gave me on the driver’s side rocker panel. They had Sterling Collision repair and did a good job. Of course the first attempt is going to be the paint less route. But if that fails it is off to the body shop. It sure is a good thing I didn't see this happen. I would be in jail for murder right now.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

From your description and the location of the ding it doesn't sound like that will be repairable via the paintless dent repair process, which relies on the capability of the thin sheet metal to spring back using a special tool to get the dent to pop out. Sounds like it's suffered permanent deformation and will require a good body shop to make it like new again. You may want to get Autobahn Autobody in Costa Mesa to give you quote. They specialize in exotics and do excellent work. They worked on my car last year.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:37 PM
raffi
Pro

hey bigwave,
i recently had a dent fixed right above the gas cap.
my only advice is to ask a few different guys.
One body shop said it couldnt be fixed without paint, another pdr guy said it wouldnt be perfect, the guy I finally went with charged alittle more but he came out to me and did a perfect job, he does all of symbolic motors and other high end dealer cars.
he charged me $125. my dent was more of a crease than a ding, and not that easy to repair, but came out perfect.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Hey Raffi, could you please share the contact info on your dent removal guy.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:35 PM
raffi
Pro

sure fast40th,

David Pelikan
sosdent.com
310 923 5932
Extremely nice and professional guy
I thought they just massage the dent from behind the panel, (that is what I've seen before) but this guy also hammered away on my painted surface with some wierd tools I couldnt bear to watch but it really worked well.

I think the mobile thing is great if you dont have time to wait for an hour or more at a shop...
the 125 was kind of high compared to others, but he offered to fix another less noticeable ding for another $75.
I think you can get a good deal from these mobile guys if you get a few cars together.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

raffi mine is also a crease and the guy phil referred said if it does not come out perfect then no charge. He also wanted 125.00 which to me is well worth it if he can fix it. Thanks again for everyone help. I'll post the results on Tuesday after the first attempt
Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 AM
raffi
Pro

That is cool, considering if his method doesnt work then you can get another guy to try it.
However, I have also heard of pdr's gone wrong which ended in paint chipping requiring a repaint. I hope everything goes well, usually guys in this business as well as window chip repair always underestimate their end result so you will be happy when it comes out better than expected.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Thanks Raffi I'll give David a call.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

No luck with the mobil dent repair. Said it was to tough of a spot to reach. He tried for a while made it look alittle better but no go. Now i need to take it into a body shop. which means repaint that just kills me.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the color of your car again?
Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Black, One of these days I may pick a different color but I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Door ding repair in OC