Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Loaner Car When You Take Your Car For Service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:13 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are really missing the boat on the loaners. It is their best chance to sell our wives another car. Case in point, my wife had been eyeing the Cayenne for the past 6 months. But after driving the base Cayenne, she was so turned off and wouldn't even look at anything Porsche has to offer. Had they let me have the Cayenne V8 S, we would probably have one in the driveway right now. They have got to give us something better than a Chevy crap with a lawnmower engine as a loaner. Wonder if the Ferrari boys get the same treatment.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mdonline
I think they are really missing the boat on the loaners. It is their best chance to sell our wives another car. Case in point, my wife had been eyeing the Cayenne for the past 6 months. But after driving the base Cayenne, she was so turned off and wouldn't even look at anything Porsche has to offer. Had they let me have the Cayenne V8 S, we would probably have one in the driveway right now. They have got to give us something better than a Chevy crap with a lawnmower engine as a loaner. Wonder if the Ferrari boys get the same treatment.
Ever heard of test drives?
Old 03-31-2006, 08:46 PM
erikjwells
Intermediate

we always get a nice sales demo mercedes to drive when we take in the porsche or the ML500.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:56 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Ray Catena Porsche gave me the choice of 3 loaners to pick from all were brand new 2006 models. They were a Chrysler 300, Infiniti I35, ora Jaguar S type. Not too bad. When I brought in my E55 for service I got a brand new C class as a loaner.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

I get a loaner for the car purchased at the dealership; for my other car, they'll give me a ride to my destination
Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I bought the car I made sure they had a loaner as the dealership is about an hour from my house and service is closed on weekends...Gotta work to pay those $3.10/gallon gas prices. They were up front about it and I was told I always could have a loaner if I made an appointment. With my Mercedes, they actually delivered a loaner to my office and picked up my car for service....but then the dealership was a client of mine so I guess I got "special" service.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:01 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Talk about a bunch of spoiled babies. My dealer gives me an enterprise rental which operates right there on premise so no inconvenience at all. And I don't give a damn what car they give me. At most it is for the same day or a couple days at most. How many of you are so worried about your image that you can't be caught dead in an econo rental for a couple days? Yes there are some dealers that have nice cars to dish out but if you prefer that, but how many of you checked out in advance of your purchase what their loaner fleet was and that was a deal breaker for you?

Most of the time I just have them shuttle me home and I drive one of my other cars until my car is ready.
I agree to a point. For me, so long as they provide tranport to and from my location I'm happy. However, many people who buy a porsche also buy it for the prestige and pay a premium for it. They like being in a good car which doesn't rattle or feel uncomfortable or even non-leather. The dealership is there to sell cars and make sure customers come back. Giving a customer a Cayenne for 2 days will beat out any 15min test drive any day. You just get a better feel of the car. Before I bought my M5, I borrowed my friend's for 3 days. To see if I could live with it. Same for the Carrera S. It's an opportunity and yes with Porsche volume, it isn't as easy to justify 3 loaner Cayennes lying around. But that's where the sales people come in. If they know a good customer who buys a car every 4 year or even 2 years, then they would make sure whenever the customer comes in he's driving one of the potential purchases. And even if he doesn't buy that model, he'll like the dealership who makes the extra effort and buy again from there (unless he hates his car!)
Old 04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

I had my car in last fall for some computer glitches, and the dealer provided a brand new 06 Cayenne S. It had less miles on the Odo than my 997 did! 18 vs. 26.
It was a fun vehicle to drive for a week and really allowed me to get a sense of what it was all about. I put just over 300 miles on it! Smart marketing on their part, as my wife drives a Lexus RX330.... In the end, she still loves her Lexus...
Attached Images  
Old 04-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

My dealer was working on my Karmann Ghia for a few days and gave me a nice little Mercedes Benz to drive. I wound up buying that car, too.

Dan
Old 04-02-2006, 01:55 AM
FlyingLow
Racer

My dealer has boxster loaners. Pretty cool.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:29 AM
boolala
Race Car

I have my car serviced at a dealership where I did not buy the car. Under the circumstances I'm happy to get anything including a Grand Am. As I only need the car to get home it would make more sense for them to give me a ride home but I am outside their service zone.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

why are you griping about ****ty rentals?
Gee, when you get a chevrolet aveo for a loaner after bringing in a porsche - Drive it like a porsche is meant to be driven!

Sometimes, it really is more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:42 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I have a 1991 928GT which is soon (anticipated April 13 checkpoint 8) to be joined by a younger sibling (C4S Cab). I hve had the 928 serviced at Leith Porsche in NC since new, and always get either a Porsche or Enterprise loaner from them, if I cannot wait for the work to be done. Their service department is very professional.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

With regard to loaner cars or courtesy cars as they are called in the uk,most uk dealers tend to supply new cars of the same manufacturer they are selling as loaners,and then when they are 3 months old sell them as ex demonstration,and replace with new again,so I would say that it does not cost the dealership anything to let their customers use loaner car.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:11 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my 997S in 3 times for minor service / repairs. I live about 2 hours from the dealer (ok, 1.5 hours in the PCar!)....twice they've given me a brand new Cayenne, once a Cayenne S. This dealer pretty much always gives a Porsche loaner as long as the service is scheduled in advance. Contrast with the local BMW dealer, who has 4 badly beat up Hyundais he gives out. Seems to me to be a lost opportunity...getting potential customers in another Porsche (or BMW) is a cheap way to get them, or someone at their house, interested!

Quick Reply: Porsche Loaner Car When You Take Your Car For Service?