Sponsored by:

Car 'fluttering' today

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bring it to the dealer tody while the car is still doing it as this can be a bitch to diagnose without codes and without symptoms!
Not chance here in PA. No w/e service hours.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tony356993
Not chance here in PA. No w/e service hours.
Hopefully it will still be misbehaving on Monday when you bring it in.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tony356993
did you try to turn the key w/o starting the car and let it sit for about 2 minutes? i was told this resets the computer. can't hurt.
I did turn the key without starting to get a reading on the oil level, but I didn't wait 2 minutes before starting it. I will try tonight and let you know tomorrow.

It does suck that this had to happen over a weekend because I'm willing to bet good money that she will be just fine next week when I bring her in . . .
Old 04-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bullet
I did turn the key without starting to get a reading on the oil level, but I didn't wait 2 minutes before starting it. I will try tonight and let you know tomorrow.

It does suck that this had to happen over a weekend because I'm willing to bet good money that she will be just fine next week when I bring her in . . .
Then don't try the 2 minute thing then....why take a chance?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
Then don't try the 2 minute thing then....why take a chance?
It's a good point, but I must say that I just want this thing to go away because it drives me so crazy. The majority experience is that it goes away and doesn't come back, though that does leave us with a poor understanding of the situation I will admit.

So it may be too late. . .

I did the 2 minute thing, but it did not work. I even waited an extra minute for good measure. I went out for a drive and it was doing it just as before, in normal, sport or with PSM off. I noticed that while stopped a light in neutral, just slowly depressing the acelerator and bringing the rpm up to 3-4000, it would oscillate and jerk. Then I tried sport mode with PSM off (both together), and for about 30 seconds, the throtle was totally unpredictable. I tried to launch gently from a red light and I hade 3000 rpm with just a slight touch of the acelerator. I waited for the rpm to drop to about 1000 before letting the clutch out and as I did, the car shot forward as the throttle just shot on it's own. The rpm oscillations were quite pronounced over the next 10 seconds, so I decided that combination wasn't very good. The instant I put sport chrono back to normal and PSM back on, the whole problem just stopped and she started running as smoothly as ever.

I'll let you know what tomorrow is like . . .

PS. Rennteam is a great forum - lots of fun and breaking news seems really early over there, but for technical issues, Rennlist reigns supreme.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:21 PM

It's a good point, but I must say that I just want this thing to go away because it drives me so crazy.
I know what you mean...I hate when one of my babies is sick.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Bullet
Instructor

It seems quite clear to me that if I could solve this issue on my car by simply going into sport mode and turning PSM off, then reversing back out of sport mode and putting PSM back on, that this is probably a computer glitch with the throttle control.

In retrospect now, it may be importnat that this occurred while in the past several weeks, I've been driving with PSM off quite often, and that's something I never used to do really. So I would wonder if the others who have experienced this might have had a similar experience.

etmorcus - can you be any more specific about what the problem was and what your dealer did to solve it? Also, were your car's symptoms exactly the same as those described at the start of this thread and by me?

-B
Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I had this problem. I tried all the tricks .....gas cap, oil cap and key in the ignition. The last thing I did was to disconnect the battery for about 15 minutes. No further problems after that....(1 month and counting).
Old 04-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Bullet
Instructor

It seems that someone over at rennteam.com solved the issue but toggling between sport and normal mode.

My bet is that this has only been a problem on M98 cars with sport chrono. Probably another great reason to avoid sport chrono (and the wart) as an option (besides - it's otherwise a waste of money for us & a big gimmick for Porsche to extract another $1500 from us).
Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

It seems that someone over at rennteam.com solved the issue but toggling between sport and normal mode.

My bet is that this has only been a problem on M98 cars with sport chrono. Probably another great reason to avoid sport chrono (and the wart) as an option (besides - it's otherwise a waste of money for us & a big gimmick for Porsche to extract another $1500 from us).
I don't think so.
This problem has been reported ad nauseum in probably every model and year of 997 - search through prior posts and you will see countless reports.
It is a strange glitch that seems to happen to 'younger' 997s. It self-corrects and usually never returns or maybe returns one more time. It never registers any fault codes. etc etc etc
Old 04-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Kevin K
Instructor

I had the same issue on my '06 C2 cab when it had about 3000 miles. I don't have the sport chrono package. I noticed it when the tank was down slightly below 1/4 but the fuel reminder light hadn't yet come on. I thought perhaps it had to do with running the fuel that low, though it happened on the straightaway and not when driving up or down an incline or fast around a curve.

I refilled the tank (Shell 93) and the problem never appeared again. However, now, I never let the fuel get that low, but it sounds like that might be irrelevant. I called the Porsche tech and they were not cognizant of this problem being common. Since it went away aftter refilling, I never brought it in for that issue.

Was the fuel tank low for many of you who have experienced the same problem?

Kevin
Old 04-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Bullet
Instructor

I couldn't find any on 3.6l Carreras, and it's impossible to tell from most descriptions whether the car has sport chrono or not, but my bet is that it is related to sport chrono.

My car was a spring '06 build that I picked up in the summer of '06 - not THAT young!

I hope people who've had this problem might chime in about the details of their engines and whether they have SC or not . . .
Old 04-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

I have an 06 Jan build Apr delivery with SC and X51. Still haven't had any problems since I disconnected the battery and let the computers "reset".
Old 04-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Thanks Holli82.

Also for the record, mine ran perfectly today . . .
Old 04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Thanks Holli82.

Also for the record, mine ran perfectly today . . .

Quick Reply: Car 'fluttering' today