Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
I've had several people approach me at gas stations and ask about the car. I always thank them for their interest and try to be an "ambassador" of sorts for other Porsche drivers/owners. IMHO what each of us does reflects on all who drive Porsches.
LOL. Mee too. Especially when driving my BMW I am THE MOST polite driver in cities and towns. Like people seem sometimes surprised a BMW would stop for them at a crosswalk or let them cut infront.

Now for the bad news: I only become an a-hole on the interstate passing lane when traffic is moderate to light. I figure you've got no business being in the passing lane if I'm close behind you.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:44 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE=MMDNow for the bad news: I only become an a-hole on the interstate passing lane when traffic is moderate to light. I figure you've got no business being in the passing lane if I'm close behind you. [/QUOTE]

That's why I stay to the right
Old 03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like the looks I get when I fill up at the local Costco. For those not familiar with the pumps there, Costco requires that motorists pull in to the filling station facing the same direction in a one-way drive-thru fashion. The majority of cars have their gas caps on the left hand side so there's usually longer lines for drivers wanting to be on the right side of the pumps. I usually don't have to wait long since my gas cap is on the right side for both my cars.

But I make it a point to wait for the first pump on the island with my 911 and will wave on the car behind me if the second pump opens up. When I do pull up, I intentionally pull up just enough so that the hose and nozzle, which are on the right side of the pump, will reach my gas filler in a neat, natural hanging drop of the hose, with my car's nose aligned with the pump and the car's *** end hanging out for all to see the unusual filling stance. ... I get a kick out of the puzzled looks from others who probably say to themselves, "The gas tank is in the front???"
Old 03-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The gas tank is in the front? lol. I remember years ago a kid walking up to me as I was putting a few landscaping bricks into my 914. I had both trunk lids up and was balancing the load a a little. The kid sees this and says, "where's the engine?" "It's a Porsche,--they're extra!"

Dan
Old 03-28-2006, 04:22 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I intentionally pull up just enough so that the hose and nozzle, which are on the right side of the pump, will reach my gas filler in a neat, natural hanging drop of the hose, with my car's nose aligned with the pump and the car's *** end hanging out for all to see the unusual filling stance.
Let's see Ben, is that part of the formula: the angle of the dangle is equal to the heat of the.....I'm sure you know the rest
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Joe, I was afraid someone was gonna jump on that after I typed it out. Didn't know it'd be you.

Dan, similar thing happened when I picked up my sister at the airport in my Boxster once. Pulled up to the busy curb and put one of her bags in the rear trunk. Pushed the key button to open up the front trunk and proceeded to load her other bags there as others were watching. She laughs and says, "Where's the engine?" I say to her, "I've never seen it myself but it's in there somewhere." She laughs some more.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:00 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the looks I get when I fill up at the local Costco. For those not familiar with the pumps there, Costco requires that motorists pull in to the filling station facing the same direction in a one-way drive-thru fashion. The majority of cars have their gas caps on the left hand side so there's usually longer lines for drivers wanting to be on the right side of the pumps. I usually don't have to wait long since my gas cap is on the right side for both my cars.

But I make it a point to wait for the first pump on the island with my 911 and will wave on the car behind me if the second pump opens up. When I do pull up, I intentionally pull up just enough so that the hose and nozzle, which are on the right side of the pump, will reach my gas filler in a neat, natural hanging drop of the hose, with my car's nose aligned with the pump and the car's *** end hanging out for all to see the unusual filling stance. ... I get a kick out of the puzzled looks from others who probably say to themselves, "The gas tank is in the front???"
Ben!

Promise me that you have none of the following;

1) Pocket protector with multiple strakes of ballpoint ink
2) Black horn-rimmed glasses with white adhesive tape supporting the temple piece on the right
3) Short-sleeved white shirt
4) Crew cut with a "brushback".

If you do, please email me privately, there is a cure nowadays!!!

Seriously, I've noted that too. In fact, when a gas station is on a corner, as most are, I try to pull in from the entrance I've previously noted affords the advantage to our "special needs".

You have to work hard to get lucky.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Umm...you left out the AK-47. ... Wasn't that Michael Douglas's look in the movie Falling Down where he's fed up with society, can't take it anymore, snaps, and decides to get even?

Consider yourself warned.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:44 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm...you left out the AK-47. ... Wasn't that Michael Douglas's look in the movie Falling Down where he's fed up with society, can't take it anymore, snaps, and decides to get even?

Actually I was thinking Apollo 13 a/o some of the guys I went to school with.

Falling Down was one of the early movies that presaged the long slide of white men into the sorry *** roles they now play in movies. But Mr Douglas at least had a pair. Today the only white guys out of the typical TV or movie with ones larger than rasins are goonish guys who need a good woman or minority (or both) boss to keep 'em in line and tell them where the bad guys are.

Don't get me started...
Old 03-28-2006, 11:42 PM
OCBen
Banned

I liked Apollo 13. Never saw Falling Down, but remember the frequently aired clips and trailers.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:43 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
On the flip side, I had an extremely attractive young lady mouth "Nice car" and then rev her engine at me on my way home from work today.
Wow MrBonus you are lucky. I only get stuff like that in my dreams
Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

that movie was good... It's an old movie but good, saw it last year on tv for the first time... You should watch it and deliverance...

Last edited by MoneyBiz; 03-29-2006 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

I have always found people drive more aggressively around you in a P-car. They speed up not to let you pass, tailgate, generally try to out maneuver you.

It's a cousin to the phenomenon where you park away from everyone else a distance from the store and return to find some hulking piece of cr*p parked inches from your door.

Sad but true fact of life with a Porsche...much less frequent than in a BMW
Old 03-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I have always found people drive more aggressively around you in a P-car. They speed up not to let you pass, tailgate, generally try to out maneuver you.
Chris, with all respect, drivers in Georgia ARE crazy. I went there last summer with my 350Z and I have never been so aggressively attacked (and shown middle fingers to me!) as on the interstates outside Atlanta. In Atlanta itself, I saw three drivers (on that one day) first stopping at red lights, looking, then crossing the intersection! You sure live in a wild environment. As I said, so far here in Louisiana, people are extremely respectful towards my Porsche. I have never experienced anything like this before.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Once a high school kid in a WRX yelled at me from his car.."mine is faster"...I said to him, yes and your car is uglier too

Quick Reply: An unpleasant aspect of Porsche ownership?