Sponsored by:

BMW owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006 | 02:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MMD
I've seen these metal or plastic disks somewhere that you install between the wheel and hub which create air currents that deflect dust from accumulating on wheels. Would be fine for BMW with dark calipers and bizzy wheels, but they would stop the fancy calipers from being seen on our Porsches. FWIW
Here is a link to one wheel product

http://www.autogeek.net/kleenwheeldu.html
Old 03-27-2006 | 02:47 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

I wouldn't use those dust shields either - I would rather clean dust than cause heat problems with my brakes.

Yes, brake dust comes with the territory. All of my BMWs have had lots of dust. The wax helps minimize this (as others have suggested) but it will always be somewhat of a chore. Now that I clean the inside of the wheels on the 997, it's even more laborious. (Yes, I secretly love it. ) I've tried some of the other pads but couldn't find any that I really liked.
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:45 PM
jfraser
Instructor

There's no need to get dust shields, the axxis pads will do the job you're looking for. it's got to be about 80-90% less dust than the oem pad, to the point where I drove @ 600 miles in the car and still couldn't really see any dust (just did LA to Mammoth) But they are going to squeek a bit.

Oh, and the axxis pad has about the same bite, feel and strength to the OEM pad (maybe even a fraction more stopping power). The BMW pads lasted 2 weeks on my car....I just couldn't live with the level of dust they generated
Old 03-27-2006 | 03:45 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by tnunnery
I wouldn't use those dust shields either - I would rather clean dust than cause heat problems with my brakes.

Maybe, go to the site and see what they say about the heat issue.

Also, might be just fine for gr8330's wife's braking needs.
Old 03-27-2006 | 06:00 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Originally Posted by MMD

I seem to recall that BMW had some very stern words about the use of "Kleen Wheels." Maybe it's just me but adding a device that restricts airflow to the brakes for the sake of keeping the area cleaner doesn't work in my mind.

If it's that much of an issue, then the Axxis (or some other) pad seems to be the way to go.

I guess it also depends on how well you want your wife's brakes to work!
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:35 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

I just purchased an 2006 M5 about two weeks ago to replace my 04 S4 as my daily driver and all I can say is I have never owned a car with so much brake dust, I am actually cleaning the wheels in between washing the car, it is a real PIA but driving the car is well worth the trouble.
Old 03-27-2006 | 08:43 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by tnunnery
I seem to recall that BMW had some very stern words about the use of "Kleen Wheels." Maybe it's just me but adding a device that restricts airflow to the brakes for the sake of keeping the area cleaner doesn't work in my mind.

If it's that much of an issue, then the Axxis (or some other) pad seems to be the way to go.

I guess it also depends on how well you want your wife's brakes to work!
Yeah, I basically agree with where you're coming from, but that's because I drive it like I stole it sometimes (need brakes).

Your last sentence: good one. LOL
Old 03-27-2006 | 09:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by doc2s
try waxing the wheels with rejex you will get less brake dust accumilation and will be a breeze to clean. you can just wipe the dust off.
I use Rejex on my boat and that stuff is awesome. I also use it on the front of my BMW X5 and it really helps with the bugs and such.
Old 03-28-2006 | 12:18 AM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD

Ah yes the wife's car. They only make electricity not dust.
Old 03-28-2006 | 11:32 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by doc2s
try waxing the wheels with rejex you will get less brake dust accumilation and will be a breeze to clean. you can just wipe the dust off.
I did an experiment. Washed car and then Properly applied RejeX to both wheels on one side and waxed other side. Conclusion: accumulation is the same but cleaning is much easier with the rejex side.

Quick Reply: BMW owners