997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fair Comparisons to the 997?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006 | 07:50 AM
fast1
Race Car

Don't you think at some point the hp and torque have to matter once they differ by so much?

Actually maximum engine torque output doesn't mean very much, other than being an advertising gimmick. As anyone who has drag raced his car realizes, torque produced by the engine over a rev range and gearing are the crirtical factors.
HP is a derived number: HP = Torque X RPM / 5252. The only advantage that I can see with the HP number is that it's better to produce torque over a high rpm range to take advantage of gearing.

What is critical is how much torque is applied to the drive wheels over the rev range, and that will be determined by engine torque otput over that entire range and gearing. Therefore, you can have two cars with approximately the same curb weight, and have the one with the lower max engine torque output outperform the one with the higher max engine torque output.

The 997S has aprox 295 lb/ft max engine torque output whereas the C6 has aprox 400 lb/ft, and both cars have similar curb weights. Although I never tracked a 997S, based on magazine reports the 997S is about a half sec faster in the 1/4 than a C6, despite the fact that the S has less than 100 lb/ft of torque.
Old 03-23-2006 | 11:49 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Actually, i think the car mags make these non parallel comparisons btw. sports cars to fill mag space and sell their magazine...i doubt many aston martin buyers will consider a 911, and 911 buyers usually dont seriously consider a vette....The most truely useful comparison tests the car mags make are between like cars, such as family sedans around 25k, sport luxury sedans for 50k, mid size suvs 30-35k$, etc....then you have cars that people truely cross shop....
Old 03-23-2006 | 12:54 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by steve775
But again, why the need to compare 2 cars with such diverse hp? Why not compare the Vette against say a 2005 Ferrari F430 with 490 hp? Would that be too embarrassing?

Have them run the Vette against a car with more similar hp, and then see how it fares.
Bothers me too. Seems like that stupid corvette always crashes the comp parties. It seems like it is always pitted against the lower HP Carreras and even the BOXSTER! In my world it should always be a HP to HP comp with no ***price*** criteria.

The answer is simple: because of it's big engine the car is a cheaper (meaning: not of equal quality) alternative AND "controversy" sells magazines.

Last edited by MMD; 03-23-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2006 | 01:07 PM
fluid15

Cars are not always compared on price, but also by "category". I think we've all seen the recent comparo of the Z06 vs. Viper vs. Ford GT. The GT is clearly out of the Vette price range but has some similarities in concept (ultimate performance).

With that in mind, we'll surely see the Z06 in comparo's with the new 997TT since both are the ultimate expression offered for each companies "base" sportscar. You can't argue with the value the Vette provides. I'm certainly impressed. That doesn't mean I want to go out and buy one, but I'll give it recognition for what it provides. It's a great performer.
Old 03-23-2006 | 01:26 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

987 Boxster S won a recent comparo against the drop top Vette (C&D IIRC) ...power doesn't always win out, and their pricing was very close. (400 hp against 280)

Quick Reply: Fair Comparisons to the 997?