Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all cabriolet owners, asking for a favor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05-997Cab
You always need about 1/2" to 3/4" clearance between your seat and the wind screen
DEFINITELY a problem I noticed. I'm 6'4 and I wish I could go farther back with my seat. I'm really wondering why no ingenious engineer has come up yet with an aftermarket wind screen that fits in the 997 but let's you move back your seat a little bit farther. I will have to look into that.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:16 PM
skywaterbanjo
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm in the wrong forum (should be 996) but I'm curious, do the 997 cabs have problems with the top squeaking when up? I've tried all kinds of lubricants (dealer provided) and I can't seem to get rid of the annoying noise.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:27 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Yes.My car was back at the dealers only last week to have an annoying squeak from the roof rectified.The dealer sorted it(with lubricant)but now there is an even more annoying squeak coming from my glovebox area !!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by skywaterbanjo
I'm in the wrong forum (should be 996) but I'm curious, do the 997 cabs have problems with the top squeaking when up? I've tried all kinds of lubricants (dealer provided) and I can't seem to get rid of the annoying noise.
Definitely not normal and should be fixed. I have none in my June build '05 997 cab, in service since August '05 (8k miles). Its tight and solid as a drum.

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Wow, somebody dug out my first thread as a cab owner. What a great day it was indeed.

Anyway, it's interesting to see how we adopt to new situations: On the second day of cab ownership, I posted:
Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I'm 6'4 and I wish I could go farther back with my seat. I'm really wondering why no ingenious engineer has come up yet with an aftermarket wind screen that fits in the 997 but let's you move back your seat a little bit farther
And, then, two days ago I said:
The screen is absolutely awesome and I have it installed all the time. And despite being 6'4'' tall and - thus - in need of seat space, I'm doing just fine.
I guess I just got used to it.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:45 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default the car i just bought was optioned with the wind screen

can somebody post a pic of their cab with the windscreen up so I can see what I'm getting...

TIA!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Picture with Windscreen up:

YoungTurk
'05 Carrera Cab (Arctic Silver/Stone Grey/Black)
Venture shield clear bra, Xenons, 19" Carrera Classics, Colored Wheel Crests, Clear Sides, Nav, Bose, MFSW, Sports Chrono, Power Seats, Heated Seats, Crested headrests and . . . PSE!

Last edited by Patriot; 02-21-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:41 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a couple of coats of Raggtopp. It is an excellent product.

http://www.properautocare.com/raggtopp.html
Old 05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto the RaggTopp. It is excellent and highly regarded as "the" top cleaner and protectant (separate bottles).

I use a squeegy to dry the top after a wash.

I definitely agree that heated seated permit cooler top down driving (my cutoff is around 55F).
Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default hey thanks for the pic on the windscreen but...

my option said windscreen with Porsche lettering...

Are all windscreens with lettering? I dont see the letters
Old 05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
skopp
4th Gear

Default Wind whistle at highway speeds

At highway speeds, i.e. about 60 mph and over, I have an annoying whistle that develops when the top is down and the windows are down. It comes from the air past the passenger side mirror. If I have a passenger collapse or even just begin to fold in the mirror it goes away. I've got to believe this is a flaw. My other 911 cabs did not do this, nor does my dad's 2006 Miata.

Any of you other cab owners experience this? By the way, I am not running the car with the windscreen.

Thanks much,

Andrew

06 911 C2S Cab.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:46 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by skopp
At highway speeds, i.e. about 60 mph and over, I have an annoying whistle that develops when the top is down and the windows are down. It comes from the air past the passenger side mirror. If I have a passenger collapse or even just begin to fold in the mirror it goes away. I've got to believe this is a flaw. My other 911 cabs did not do this, nor does my dad's 2006 Miata.

Any of you other cab owners experience this? By the way, I am not running the car with the windscreen.

Thanks much,

Andrew

06 911 C2S Cab.
do a search, this has been discussed before and I think someone fixed the problem (not by dealer). I have the same problem but I'm kind of used to it by turning up the stereo
Old 05-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Here's the thread on the 'mirror whistle':

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...Mirror+Whistle
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Speed
Pro

(3) In the case of birds and/or food, plus gravity, taking their course, take some cleaning materials with you.

Yes, but if you get bird droppings or tree sap or anything else on the rear window NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use anything abrasive (like those little 3-M Scotch Brite pads) to clean it. The rear window glass is not nearly as hard as the windshield glass and will scratch. I found that out the hard way on my 996 cab; it cost $1,500 to replace the rear glass window when I put a nice large scratch right in my line of sight.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:55 PM
nicoff
Racer

Tip:
When closing the softtop if you stop before all windows are up, keep in mind that the two small rear windows remain open. Later on, you may close the two front windows but forget that the small back windows are still open! You may think that the vehicle is secure, but the two back windows (albeit small) are still open!

Quick Reply: Calling all cabriolet owners, asking for a favor...