Sponsored by:

OT: Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: Beware!

Saturday morning I was just finishing my morning bike ride when I had a bad heart attack. Plaque got loose and blocked one artery completely. It was a bit touch and go for a while. But thankfully the quick thinking of my wife and some smart medics got me sorted, and now I have a shiny new stent in one of my arteries. (the other two were shiny clean). My diet was good, my chlorestorol levels were fine, a previous stress test showed up nothing, I run up several flights of stairs etc. I'm now back home getting adjusted to a little more careful eating and exercising regime. But if you're of a certain age and haven't had a good check over recently I would urge you to do so. From personal experience the alternative is really not very pleasant!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are getting better soon! This is really tough stuff. There was a thread here a while ago about somebody's friend (Porsche driver, too) who died at age 40 a few weeks after his daughter was born.

Again, I really hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Le Chef - Man, that is scary! I am sorry to hear about that! I am very glad that they got to you quickly. One just never knows what the next day will bring... glad to hear you are recuperating well!

Last edited by gota911; 03-15-2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you are getting better soon! This is really tough stuff. There was a thread here a while ago about somebody's friend (Porsche driver, too) who died at age 40 a few weeks after his daughter was born.
Yes, and I believe it was USCHANDPOD's friend, who is also an MD. Good post and advice for us all. Even when things look good as Le Chef noted, there can be trouble lurking.

Hope your recovery is swift Le Chef. Sometimes it takes a real jolt like this to get us to stop and smell the roses and be thankful for all that we've got!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:53 PM
drbf
Pro

Happy to hear all is well, Appears as if you were able to get good immediate care. Some patients are not that lucky.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

OMG Chef. I hope you are doing well.
That is pretty unusual to have a negative stress test and normal cholesterol,...and then to have an MI - Wow...I guess you were the unlucky one when it comes to the sensitivity of these common tests.
Again, I wish you and your stent my best.
-dave
Old 03-15-2006, 03:19 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I hear you Chef. One of my best friends from Munich, Germany passed away at age 41 left a wife and kid behind. Horrible thing his heart just went on him.

Feel better and take it easy.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Snoopy
Racer

OMG. Glad you are okay. One of my friends did a 70 mile group ride on Sunday (we ride road bikes)and found out on Monday morning that another member of the group died from a massive heart attack Sunday night after the ride. Very scary.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:13 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Le Chef,
Glad that you are better, hope everything is ok. Thanks for the reminder, good luck and take care.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:00 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

What a wake up call. Glad you are well. Stay well.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:15 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Amazing isn't it?

You work hard, get to a place where you can enjoy it a little and...

I get on the elliptical and rower very regularly and on occasion I feel something in my L 5th dermatome as well. I've had everthing short of a squirt and all is great. Hope I don't do what you did. Stay off that damn bicycle!!! Screws up you peroneal nerves, makes you impotent (impotent, not important) and you'll get your a$$ run over by some screwball in a sports car or a soccer mom while she's cell-phoning, Starbucks drinking and breaking up a fight in the back seat.

Seems like a lot of MD's on this list (I'm so suprised, NOT)

On the light side, Le Chef, where is your restraunt?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Cooking the lite fantastic

Originally Posted by allegretto

On the light side, Le Chef, where is your restraunt?
On the light side would be about right as my cooking is not even close to professional standard, though I have guested in the kitchen at Charlie Trotters.

My "handle" is a nickname derived from my last name that a colleague corrupted when I was working in Milan. He used it more as an expletive as the car I was driving him in was heading into ARMCO faster than he would have liked...
Old 03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

OMG! I do hope you're doing well and family is OK.

This is exactly why I ordered my "P" car! You just don't know what can happen!

I wanted this before something like what happened to you comes my way or worse. If I didn't do this now, then when?

Please take it easy, and keep us posted on how you're doing!

Best Wishes,
Deanski
Old 03-15-2006, 08:57 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to read that you lived Le Chef. Damn, close though.

One of these days, as soon as GE decides to push it harder, Electron Beam Computed Tomography for the heart, commonly known as a "heart scan" is going to become more popular. It's available right now but not common enough. Produces a 3D, slice by slice view of the heart and it's support vessels. Plaque shows up as clear as day. You might want to seek it out.

GE bought the company that pioneered it, Imatron, a couple years back.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Tomography

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Electron Beam Computed Tomography for the heart, commonly known as a "heart scan" is going to become more popular. It's available right now but not common enough. Produces a 3D, slice by slice view of the heart and it's support vessels. Plaque shows up as clear as day.
Interestingly when they took me for my MRI we passed a door that said "Tomography"...hmm will ask on Monday when I see the cardiologist again.

Many thanks for the information!

Quick Reply: OT: Beware!