Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all for your kind comments and well wishes. The key, without being alarmist, is to make sure you're not the next one on the list. It would take you no more than a morning to get fully checked up for this. If you can make time for a drive in your favorite car, you can make time for this. Not a lot of time to set aside for what could be a life saver.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:06 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Glad to read that you lived Le Chef. Damn, close though.

One of these days, as soon as GE decides to push it harder, Electron Beam Computed Tomography for the heart, commonly known as a "heart scan" is going to become more popular. It's available right now but not common enough. Produces a 3D, slice by slice view of the heart and it's support vessels. Plaque shows up as clear as day. You might want to seek it out.

GE bought the company that pioneered it, Imatron, a couple years back.
He had a cardiac cath. He doesn't need a heart scan.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:07 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

le chef, just noticed this thread! very glad to hear you caught it in time!

good reminder that we all need to take care of our health!
hope your health continues to improve!

Last edited by icon; 03-17-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:12 AM
jzeddy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Le Chef,

Glad to hear that you are doing better. I guess we should all take the time to appreciate and nuture our health and cherish our loved ones.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:23 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Technically, it's a Coronary Calcium scan and is an excellent predictor of future disease while things are still treatable. We offer it free to all new patients, and it saved a few lives within a month. The older electron beam technology has been largely replaced, though the concept is still the same.
If any Rennlisters need one in the Chicago area, PM me and I will get it to you at cost (which is a much lower number than the $300 typically advertised). It's about 95% sensitive which is as good as this type of test gets. Chef, if you are interested, I an get yours free. If you have siblings or kids, they probably should get one around age 35. What did you do in Millan? Our son lives there. AS
Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

LeChef,

It seems that since you got out of the hospital so early, you didn't suffer any muscle damage....hooray for you.

Having gone through the same type of "escapade" 9 years ago (with more dire results) I can empathize.

It is a scary process and you can't fight your genes but you can :

1. eat healthy

2. exercise regularly

3. think positively

4. regularly see a good cardiologist

and as a result have a quality life.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Le Chef: Though I am a lurker guy I can still extend my good wishes. Glad you dodged the bullet. Would be interested in your experience if you do the Coronary Calcium scan.

Alexander: What process would you suggest for someone in No California to access the test AND a reputable cardiologist/radiologist. It sounds pretty solid.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Raptor,
The test is actually scored by a computer, and the newer CT's automatically print detailed reports with the graph of risk/age stratified. I think Toshiba has its US base in California, and a call to them might direct you to a recent installation. In my opinion, they have taken the lead in modern non-invasive heart scanning. Their newest 64 slice devices can do a complete angiogram, which you probably don't need.
If your score is zero, you won't need anybody other than your current doc. If it's higher than that, it needs to correlate with age. The safest cardiology source is a local University cardiology dept, but there are tons of board certified guys around. Many of the older ones are not too current on this technology, and may deride it, since their income comes from the cath. PM me with any questions.

Colm,
I think most would add salicylate and a statin to your recipe. I don't think I know a cardiologist who isn't on a statin. AS
Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alexander,

You're quite correct, I'm on a statin (and a beta blocker), but as a non-physician I couldn't go recommending medication.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:17 AM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

First and most importantly good thing you reacted appropriately and in a timely manner. I am glad to hear that you are okay.

It is too easy to blow things off as stress and muscle aches (you should read some of the nonsense in the off topic forum). Sometimes you only get one warning and that is if you are lucky.

It was my friend, a fellow orthopod from training at USC, who died suddenly. I will post the link here again for those that need a wake up call to live life now.

Tony Ferrara

Okay I am not a cardiologist but here is a link to the test people are mentioning.

Coronary Computed Tomography Angiogram (Coronary CTA)

There are people in cardiology that just do prevention as their primary specialty. You may need to be in a larger city to find these docs.

Finally and most importantly. Before you do any of these studies get your life insurance where you want it to be. Although the FBI and CIA cannot communicate with each other insurance companies know everything about anything that may cut into their profits. The life insurance company will jack up your rates if they have any reason to believe that you have any health issues. They will ask you if you have gone for tests or seen doctors for any reason. You will then need to lie and I bet you will still get busted even if you do lie. You will end up paying rates as if you had a major cardiac problem when all you were trying to do is be smart and stay out of trouble. Tony's wife is not only dealing with the death of her spouse and a newborn but now she has to move because she cannot afford the home on his relatively low life insurance policy.

I just jacked up my insurance after my friends death and I will soon do one of these studies and see a cardiologist. Knock wood I am healthy but I do not want a catastrophic event for my family.

Again I am glad you are okay Le Chef
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

glad your doing better and that was a close call!!! but thing should be ok with the stent ...any family history of heart disease??its scary, but many of us here are near or at the age where heart disease and other diseases can suddenly strike...very scary stuff....moral of the story is to live each day like its your last because we never know!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:17 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Le Chef,

Happy to hear you are doing well. The silver lining to an incident like this is they will medicate and monitor you for the rest of your life. In addition to cardiac testing, I also suggest other Rennlist members keep current on PSA testing and colonoscopies. Those are two highly curable/preventable cancers if caught early.

Alan
Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Le Chef: Glad your doing well and still hear with us. : )

Here is an email I would like to share with the group. I do not know the if the information is accurate, but perhaps our medical professionals can tell us better...

Heart Attack Procedure: NOT A JOKE

Women should also know that not every heart attack
symptom is going to be the left arm hurting. Be aware of
intense
pain in the jaw line. You may never have the first chest
pain during the course of a heart attack.

Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms.
60% of people who have a heart attack while they are
asleep
do not wake up.

The pain in the jaw happened to me and woke me from a
sound sleep.I was one of the fortunate ones. Trust me
when I tell
you it's pain unlike anything you've ever experienced
before.

Given a choice between natural child birth and a heart
attack, pain-wise; it's much easier to have a baby.

Let's be careful and be aware. The more we
know..........

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this mail sends
it to 10 people, you can be sure that we'll save at least
one life.
Read this... Itcould save your life!!

Let's say it's 6.15 pm and you're driving home (alone of
course), after an unusually hard day on the job. You're
tired,
upset and frustrated. Suddenly you start experiencing
severe pain in your chest that starts toradiate out into
your arm and
up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the
hospital nearest your home.

Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make
it that far. You have been trained in CPR, but the guy
that taught the
course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart
attack, without help, the person whose heart is beating
improperly and
who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left
before losing consciousness. However, these victims can
help themselves
by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep
breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough
must be deep and
prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the
chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two
seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the
heart is felt to be
beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the
lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep
the blood circulating.

The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain
normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get
to a hospital. Tell as
many other people as possible about this. It could save
their lives!!
Old 03-17-2006, 12:28 AM
green
Pro

Hey Le Chef, glad you came out ok! It looks like you're in great hands. Let me know if I can help with any info, (I'm a cardiologist).

Quick Reply: OT: Beware!