Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Even rainy road trips are fun in the 997 (+img)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I picked up a new D2X as well for my trip to Europe for the auto delivery. They're great DSLRs!

Dan
Old 03-12-2006, 06:58 PM
stigt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll send you a PM with detail so the I don't offend the OT police.

Originally Posted by icon
do you use nikon capture with any standard settings?
do you pshop them at all?
hove you changed any camera settings? (ex. sharpness)
Old 03-12-2006, 10:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey I'd like to know as well. I'm sure the OT Police will indulge you, and maybe they're interested in knowing as well!

Btw, I like that through the sunroof shot too! ... And you were probably driving too when you took that! ... Gotta luv that!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:33 AM
stigt
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey I'd like to know as well. I'm sure the OT Police will indulge you, and maybe they're interested in knowing as well!
Ok, below is the response I sent him. One interesting thing is that when I moved up to a pro-level camera, my photography initially took a step backwards since you're shoot "with no net" and the camera is so good that it magnifies any deficiencies of the lens or photographer. For me my most published picture is this one <Click Here> and it was taken with a cheaper camera, a cheaper lens, and was complete luck. Sometimes is better to be lucky than talented.
=============

> do you use nikon capture with any standard > settings?

I use Photoshop for the raw conversion, although I've heard that Capture does a better raw conversion.

> do you pshop them at all?

I try to do minimal post-processing, but often apply auto-levels and auto-contrast. One of the problems with dSLRs is dust on the sensor, so often I have to clone out the dust bunnies. I also find that Nikon colors are a bit more muted, so I sometimes bump up the saturation level. After resizing for posting on the web I apply mild sharpening since resizing causes softness. Then convert the profile to sRGB before saving to the jpeg.

> hove you changed any camera settings? (ex. > sharpness)

Since I usually show in raw mode, the camera settings don't apply, but occationally I shot jpeg when I don't want to do any post processing. In that case I change the camera settings to sRGB, auto tone, auto sharpening.

Hope that helps.

stig
Btw, I like that through the sunroof shot too! ... And you were probably driving too when you took that! ... Gotta luv that!
Yeah, seemed like a cool idea at the time but I probably won't try that one again as the wind nearly took the camera.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Man, those are REALLY awesome photos. I think I'm going to head north next week after seeing these. Had my car in the rain too (sorry Ben) and it really is sweet.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:34 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Man o man what I wouldn't do to live in San Francisco. God I love that city. The wife and I were talking just the other day about how it had been too long (6 months) since we have been there. We are itching to go back. To stay on topic here I love the car too! Thankd for the pics.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by stigt
Yeah, seemed like a cool idea at the time but I probably won't try that one again as the wind nearly took the camera.
Yikes! ... That would have made for an awful day as the camera being blown away from your hand would have surely hit your 911 on the way down to its eventual total destruction.

Originally Posted by uzj100
Man, those are REALLY awesome photos. I think I'm going to head north next week after seeing these. Had my car in the rain too (sorry Ben) and it really is sweet.
Yeah, he's quite talented. You should check out his gallery. It's been a while - close to a year - since I last checked them out.

Well Joe, you're not going to avoid the rain altogether here in Southern Cal, especially if you drive your 997 a lot. I'm tired of this winter weather (I can hear the snow belt guys laughing at us) and can't wait for spring and summer.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:47 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yeah, he's quite talented. You should check out his gallery. It's been a while - close to a year - since I last checked them out.

Well Joe, you're not going to avoid the rain altogether here in Southern Cal, especially if you drive your 997 a lot. I'm tired of this winter weather (I can hear the snow belt guys laughing at us) and can't wait for spring and summer.
I did check his site--that picture of the blue whale is fantastic. And the drive in the rain was intentional, as I tend to be more like you in my concern for having the car look concourse all the time, but MJones is my alter ego hero.

But I'm liking this weather as it sure beats the Santa Ana winds and we NEED the rain
Old 03-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I think you were in my shot!
(This was before I got my D2X.)

Dan
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2006, 05:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hey Dan, nice shot! ... Looks like you showcased it either in an exhibit or for selling copies. The sepia tone gives it a nice vintage flavor.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

One of my favorites of the GG,--shot with the rare Nikkor 13mm AIS lens.

Dan
Old 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM
stigt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edgy01
One of my favorites of the GG,--shot with the rare Nikkor 13mm AIS lens.

Dan
That really is a stunning shot Dan. Looking forward to seeing the pics from your European delivery.

stig

Quick Reply: Even rainy road trips are fun in the 997 (+img)