Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strike Update Thread for Waiters

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Strike Update Thread for Waiters - NO STRIKE !!! (see posts # 35/36)

For the waiters among us, I thought it would be nice to have a thread with updates on the "IG Metall" labor union strikes in Germany (to the extent that they affect Porsche production). I will post updates as I become aware of them (no speculations, just brief descriptions of what's going on) and encourage everyone else to do so, too.

First Update: Today, March 7, over 4,000 Porsche employees participated in admonitory strikes at 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., shutting down production for a total of over 2 hours. No admonitory strikes are planned at Porsche for tomorrow. (Source: www.igmetall.de)

Last edited by Soulteacher; 04-22-2006 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I spec'd out and put an order in for my car about 2 weeks ago.

My dealer says they have not received any word on a production date from Porsche, is that normal with/without a strike?
Old 03-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It depends

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Thanks, I spec'd out and put an order in for my car about 2 weeks ago.

My dealer says they have not received any word on a production date from Porsche, is that normal with/without a strike?
Which month did the dealer tell you he had a build slot open for you? If it was April or May then you probably won't get a build date until 2-3 weeks before it gets built. Do some research here on the codes Porsche issues (also think you can find this stuff on Renntech as well) which will give you an indication of what happens when.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Build

Well, at least I'm scheduled for March build and I'm now at PLPROD. So far so good. I have to see when it goes PROD.

Still unknown how March builds will be impacted.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Second Update: On March 14, representatives of the IG Metall labor union and of the industry association in Baden-Wuerttemberg (the state in which Porsche is located) will meet for the second round of negotiations in Boeblingen (the first round took place on February 14). Among other demands, the labor union requests wage and salary increases of 5 percent; the industry is currently only willing to give 1.2 percent.

My opinion: If history is an indicator, no agreement can be expected from the second round. At a minimum, we will have more warning strikes. The question is, will the union wait for a third round of negotiations before starting a full-blown strike? I would think yes; they will intensify their warning strikes, but not yet move into a major confrontation (again, that's just my opinion).
Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the updates Wolfgang. Very much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
My opinion: If history is an indicator, no agreement can be expected from the second round. At a minimum, we will have more warning strikes. The question is, will the union wait for a third round of negotiations before starting a full-blown strike? I would think yes; they will intensify their warning strikes, but not yet move into a major confrontation (again, that's just my opinion).
Oh great, just when I thought I may be able to take delivery in late April or early May.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Strike? What strike?

I found out today (about 1/2 hr ago) that I'm now in paintshop part of production!

So far, strike has not impacted my build.... yet!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-13-2006, 11:10 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
I found out today (about 1/2 hr ago) that I'm now in paintshop part of production!

So far, strike has not impacted my build.... yet!

Regards,
Deanski
Very exciting. Your car should have a VIN at this point. Discounting any strike issues you should be about a month away from hearing that PSE start up.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
Very exciting. Your car should have a VIN at this point. Discounting any strike issues you should be about a month away from hearing that PSE start up.
No VIN at this point per dealer. Should have it when it gets close to end.

Man, I just can't wait! I'm also ordering the Cayenne Satellite kit to install when it arrives.

The only thing it's missing was the X51 kit, way too much $$ for 26hp. But it's as close to a GT3 as I'll get.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-14-2006, 02:45 PM
tkids
Pro

Thought I would help out with the updates, since I am in the line of fire as well!

IG Metall Warns of `Massive' Strikes Unless Wage Demand Is Met
March 14 (Bloomberg) -- Germany's IG Metall union, the world's biggest, threatened to stage ``massive'' warning strikes in the southern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, home to companies including DaimlerChrysler AG, if employers fails to address union wage demands by the end of March.

Today's second round of wage talks, affecting 800,000 workers in the region that last year posted the lowest jobless rate of Germany's 16 states, finished with no result, the union said in an e-mailed statement. A third set of talks will occur March 27, the day before a four-week peace period barring full- day strike action expires.

``Without a pay offer, there's no basis for constructive talks,'' chief union negotiator Joerg Hofmann was quoted in the statement as saying, while accusing the employers of ``delaying tactics.'' The union may stage ``massive warning strikes'' from March 29 if employers withhold a pay offer at the next meeting.

IG Metall is demanding a bigger slice of employers' profits, which have been boosted by more than 50,000 job cuts and a surge in exports over the past three years. Employers counter that wage inflation jeopardizes a domestic economy that's still recovering from five years of stagnation.

More than 71,000 workers have participated across Baden- Wuerttemberg in disruptions that IG Metall has staged since March 1 at companies including DaimlerChrysler and Robert Bosch GmbH. Seeking to prevent an excessive pay rise from further swelling Germany's labor costs, already among the world's highest, the Gesamtmetall employers' federation has said a raise of 1.2 percent, a quarter of IG Metall's demand, may be acceptable.

At about 27.60 euros ($33) per hour, wage costs in western Germany were the second-highest in the world after Denmark in 2004, the last year for which figures are available, according to the Cologne-based IW institute.

IG Metall has about 500,000 members in Baden-Wuerttemberg, where wage agreements are often seen as setting the agenda for the rest of the country. The union's 5 percent pay demand affects a nationwide 3.4 million workers whose pay contracts ran out on Feb. 28.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default I dun need no stinkeen strike

I found out today that I'm now at PRDQLT and soon to be at Checkpoint 8.
Est completion is tomorrow. whew!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

An update from Germany: The third round of negotiations between the labor union IG Metall and the industry association Suedwestmetall ended on March 28 without any results. Among other demands, the union still requests a 5 percent pay raise across the board , whereas the industry association argues that an increase in salaries and wages would lead to a further destruction of domestic jobs. The fourth round of negotiations will take place on April 6.

As a result of the failed negotiations, IG Metall has announced “massive warning strikes,” starting March 29. On March 29, their prime target will be DaimlerChrysler (warning strikes at the locations in Rastatt, Mannheim, and Ettlingen). Other companies (in the same southern state as Porsche [Baden-Wuerttemberg]) that will be affected by the warning strikes on March 29: Boysen, Elba, Flowserve, Klingelnberg, Liebherr, Bosch, Voith, Terex-Schaeff, Textron, KaVo, AWW, Mann+Hummel, Stihl, Bizerba, Aesculap, Behr, Huber, and Getrag.

Now, I haven’t seen Porsche on their list, but that’s only for Day 1, and if any of the above firms are suppliers of parts, it may affect p-car production anyway. Let’s keep our fingers crossed and I will continue checking the news.

(Union: www.igmetall.de; Industry: www.suedwestmetall.de)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM
sato
Intermediate

Thanks for the update. These strikes in France now Germany are sure going to make for a sketchy tourist delivery.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 127 Posts

Even though I'm heading to Europe for a tourist delivery, I never intended to go into France. I don't even CARE for France. There are plenty of great places over there away from France (fortunately!)

Dan

Quick Reply: Strike Update Thread for Waiters