Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of new 997TT - GT3 from Geneva show

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

The new GT3 is just stunning. I love it.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:31 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

any rennlisters at the show?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

I think the intakes and rear vents on the new Turbo are a vast improvement over the 996. Could do without the exhaust pipes in the rear valence though.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:19 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo looks like a busy piece of crap. They did just add a bunch of crap to theolder(better cleaner looking version) Wheels are hideous............

GT3 iss awesome! Wow.......Love it!

The rear exhaust pipes on the turbo are laughable ugly as well...........
Old 03-02-2006, 12:22 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rss997
Turbo looks like a busy piece of crap. They did just add a bunch of crap to theolder(better cleaner looking version) Wheels are hideous............

GT3 iss awesome! Wow.......Love it!

The rear exhaust pipes on the turbo are laughable ugly as well...........
rss I'd take either one, even that 480HP TT you call a piece of crap. The GT3 is an awesome looking car for sure, but they could have left the george jetson wing off and put something else in it's place.

Last edited by MHC2S; 03-03-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

I can see that the first thing I'm going to have to do to my TT is buy the RUF front and rear bumpers and buy some different wheels. I cannot get beyond the ugly-*** fog lights which look like something Mitsubishi or Toyota would come up with. It sure is funny how different people react to this car. Personally, I'm kinda bummed that I can finally afford a car like this and they come out with one that I don't absolutely love.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The GT3 looks better, especially in white (as in Icon's sig pic) except for that tawdry looking wing, as has already been noted here and elsewhere. ... So much for Form following Function. In this case it appears that Function was clearly subservient to Form. The Turbo wing would look much better on the GT3 than that flashy, over-the-top appendage.

That GT3 wing reminds me of something you'd find as an aftermarket bolt-on, like those ricers you see everywhere with those huge bolt-on wings. ... And the funny thing about seeing these all the time on the road is that those who are not in-the-know when seeing a GT3 will think it's one of those gawdy aftermarket wings that was put on the car instead of original equipment.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Bullet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think both cars could look better, though I prefer the Gt3, which is odd, because I used to really dislike the aerokit. Like OCBen, I too think it could look better.

The 997S is a babe, and the Manthey Motors M390 is a close second.

I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket items to improve upon the looks of the Turbo.

I wish I could get a 997S with -20 mm suspension, X51, and the GT3 interior.

-B
Old 03-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tkids
Can I mix and match. I like the look of the GT with the fin of the Turbo. please.
agreed!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:13 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
That GT3 wing reminds me of something you'd find as an aftermarket bolt-on, like those ricers you see everywhere with those huge bolt-on wings. ... And the funny thing about seeing these all the time on the road is that those who are not in-the-know when seeing a GT3 will think it's one of those gawdy aftermarket wings that was put on the car instead of original equipment.
On the 996 GT3, you can just substitute the top wing part with the carbon fiber one from the GT3 Cup Car. On the 997 GT3, it looks like the wing assembly is basically one piece, and that you would have to replace the whole assembly, including the deck lid, to make any change.

However, the new 997 GT3 Cup Car wing perhaps looks even more like an "after market bolt-on" than the "George Jetson" factory wing. I like its no frills design myself, but it does look similar to the kind you can purchase down at the local speedshop to bolt on the trunklid of your Honda.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=268489

I am hoping that the 997 GT3 wing looks better on the real car than it does in the photos, but I don't think its enough of a bad thing to cause anyone not to buy the car who otherwise would do so. IMHO
Old 03-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

the term ricer is a term used for cars, typically imports, that are built as economy cars and have no real performance basis, mods that are more for aesthetics. So, the cup car, despite having a ricey rear wing, it's functional
Frankly i like the look of the aerokit wing, it looks decent and really breaks up the rear end a bit, I didn't like the 996 GT3's aerokit rear wing that disrupted the lines of a simply beautiful shape with a big stick like rear wing that looks like someone made the mold out of wood stacked on top of each other.
I think the little kink in the top of the wing adds to the car, rather than hinders it, and breaks up what otherwise would've looked too blocky.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:24 PM
synergy
Rennlist Member

For some reason the TT isn't working for me....maybe the 4X4 height or the wheels....not sure yet. The GT3 looks good, but ithe single exhaust takes some getting used to...
Old 03-05-2006, 06:04 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The turbo does look a Little 4x4,not sure on the rims and it looks busy, though I do like the wing. I think over all the GT3 looks a lot cleaner.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:19 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by rss997
Turbo looks like a busy piece of crap. ....Wheels are hideous............The rear exhaust pipes on the turbo are laughable ugly as well...........
I went back to this thread thinking about an old song called "If you Wanna be Happy" by Jimmy Soul where he descibes this ugly women he married but commented: Yeah, she's ugly but she sure can cook.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life....
Make an ugly woman your wife....

Yeah, that's an old song for sure. And it always struck me as illogical. It's as though the only reason the guy marries this ugly woman is because she can cook. As if he didn't realize the simple alternative solution - marrying a beautiful woman who can't cook....and just dining out! Maybe the songwriter was poor, and just couldn't handle the financial hit of a high-maintainance woman AND dining expenses to boot! ... Sometimes I just over-analyze things to death.

Quick Reply: Pics of new 997TT - GT3 from Geneva show