Sponsored by:

997s vs 9974s vs 997s cab..a test drive smorgasborg

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997s vs 9974s vs 997s cab..a test drive smorgasborg

it was a cold sunday in our area driving by the p car dealership near my gym i noticed there was 6 carrera S in the parking lot outside!!! since it was the last sunday , the dealership was open , they had two sales people inside and one came out as i was checking the cars out..." you want to take one out" one of sales people ask!!!! i acted like i had something better to do for a second and then i said, sure, what the heck!!!....so i got a nice extended test drive of a carrera S, 4S and a S cab...some observations.....1) the 4s felt very close to the S except perhaps the steering is a little lighter in the S..and the 4s felt slightly heavier, and not as flingable...but it was still very close the S, whereas the 996 4s i have driven dont seem to give as good a road feel and the 2wd 996...2) the cab is one stiff cab....barely could bring any minimal cowl shake on very rough roads with no top or interior creeks or groans...very impressive.stiffer than a ferrari 360 spider...with that said, it did feel very minimally heavier than the S....3)sport chrono was a blast to play with , giving an instant change to throttle response and suspension tuning...it does make the car feel faster...i dont know if it would grow when owning the car, but it sure was fun on a test drive...4)sport shifter was fun with significantly shorter throwns than the standard shifter...it feel notchy, but it was cold and all the cars shifters were notch due to inactivity and sitting in 15 degree weather all night...5) all the carreras were very FAST!!!!every time i wanted to go even above 3500 rpm i had to back off due to rapidly approaching go to jail speeds...the carrera S feels faster than the ferrari 360 spider....i know every one wants more power but the s is very fast as is, esp, for public roads...cant even image what the 380hp version is like or the gt3 with 420hp!!...6) the handling is world class...it can take turns as fast the 360 spider and its the best handling 911 ever.......7)carrera inventories must be up...the intial year demand and 6 month waits to order at msrp may be finally coming to an end...this dealership never had more than 1 carrera S in stock, that was usally a cancelled order..now with 6 carrera S on the lot, and two more inside, they are offering the cars at 2-4 k off msrp...they may have to go lower to move the cars..a 997 buyers market in the not too distant future???
Old 02-20-2006, 01:16 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does your keyboard have an enter key?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Legalkix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Us waiters need to live in another state obviously...

Quick Reply: 997s vs 9974s vs 997s cab..a test drive smorgasborg