Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you been in love with your car even when she got old?
Yes
70.00%
No
30.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Did your new Porsche make you feel like you were cheating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did your new Porsche make you feel like you were cheating?

This may sound kind of funny to some, but as I get close to taking delivery of my new 997 I can't help but feel like I'm "cheating" on my beloved Benz (http://ron.martinsen.com/cars/e320.asp). Sure, it isn't fast, or as cool, etc... but I LOVE THAT CAR!

I'm keeping it, so it isn't like it is going anywhere, but that car is approaching 6 years old for a reason - I just love it too much to get rid of it. I drive other cars and say "that is nice, but I'm not giving my Benz up for it." The 997 (and almost the 996) was the only car that I felt like was worth spending the money on.

Now I'm sure you guys with deeper wallets than me will laugh at my lowly E320 when you've had prior Porsches, or AMG/M powered vehicles, but as a daily driver it has been worth every penny I paid for it -- twice (first one was totalled by someone who hit me).

Many times people have said to me, "you can afford to replace the Benz - why don't you just get a new E55 or something", but I just replied - why? I like this car so much that I just don't see the benefit of wasting the money on something that isn't exponentially better. (The 997 will definitely send that point home )

How many of you here have felt like me about a prior car that you just couldn't bear to part with? If so, what kind of car was it (I expect a bunch of 993 'ers to relate )
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
rechang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I concur

I feel exactly the same. I currently have a 02 BMW Cic (Supercharged). I love this car and have no reason to get rid of it. However, I also have a Carrera S coming. Its currently on the boat and I should take delivery end of this month. I can't wait. I do feel sort of bad for my BMW. But I'll still love it. I think of it like the way I love each of my kids. When my daughter was born I was worried that I wouldn't love her as much as my son. Crazy to equate kids with my cars. Can't help it.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rechang
I feel exactly the same. I currently have a 02 BMW Cic (Supercharged). I love this car and have no reason to get rid of it. However, I also have a Carrera S coming. Its currently on the boat and I should take delivery end of this month. I can't wait. I do feel sort of bad for my BMW. But I'll still love it. I think of it like the way I love each of my kids. When my daughter was born I was worried that I wouldn't love her as much as my son. Crazy to equate kids with my cars. Can't help it.
Funny - I can relate. I told my wife that she's had her babies and now it is my turn to get mine (the 997).
Old 02-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I drive the biggest beater on the boards. It's solid though, reliable, and lots of memories with it. Plus it's nice, nothing to stress out about - dings, chips, scratches, etc - not an issue, I just don't care. Plus this thing has done extremely hard miles and it was smooth as butter (vibrations now are just old motor mounts)
I'll miss her a bit when she's gone, but my sister will probably end up with her - she has lots of miles left.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:25 PM
kw_1055
Instructor

Sometimes I feel that I am neglecting my other baby in my garage. My other toy is a BMW motorcycle. My P car and her share a lot in common. Fast, powerful, quick, great fun on twisty, best for sunny days. I love to ride or drive both on weekends – long trips up the mountain or down the coast. So sometimes I feel like I am cheating on my bike. I just hope that she won’t get jealous and toss me someday.

Quick Reply: Did your new Porsche make you feel like you were cheating?