Sponsored by:

Must Have Toys for my new 997

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:07 PM
WJS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must Have Toys for my new 997

First, I have been browsing this forum for several weeks while performing research prior to configuring and ordering my new C4S. The discussions on this forum were critical in helping me make informed decisions. I owe it to all of you for helping me maximize my purchasing experience. Furthermore, I have just submitted my membership dues in order to return the favor.

Now for my question: Having ordered a March-build 997 C4S (First Porsche and lifelong dream) I am wondering what gadgets and toys I need to acquire prior to the arrival of my vehicle. This of course will help me get through the painfull three-month waiting period I will have to endure.

Does anyone have opinions on the following:

Car Care Kits
Car Covers
Driving Shoes
Gloves
Das Schield?
Any other "Must have" items?

How about PDE or other recommended performance driving schools?

Thanks

WJS
Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 PM
fast lane
Racer

the tequipment car cover is great . I also use piloti driving shoes, I keep them in the car and use them whenever I drive it. I also switched the pedals to ultimate pedals, it's easier for heel-toe . Another thing I reccommend is a good radar-laser detector. I get my car care supplies from alot of different companies so I never bothered to use the porsche products. As far as car care products my reccomendation is to ask ocben. He's the man!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Speed
Pro

I would definitely recommend the two-day Porsche Driving Experience which I just did this week-end (and am still stuck at as the NYC airports are closed due to the storm). After that, you might consider the driver's ed events run by the local Porsche Clubs which will give you the opportunity to drive the car on the track in a controlled, safe environment.

As for car car, contact Larry Reynolds at Car Care Specialties. He has all the products you'll ever need and the guides on how to use them. Finally, I'd recommend getting a clear bra on the front bumper to guard against stone chips.
Old 02-12-2006, 03:03 PM
997Opus
Intermediate

I would recommend the following:

Car kit (go to autopia, proper auto care or classic motoring accessories) to get the right products and read "detailing how to" on the autopia site
A porter cable car polisher (this one rocks) a must have
Shoes - OMP
Car Cover - Porsche 997 cover from Suncoast Porsche Flordia (extremly soft liner) inside garage
Heatshield windshield reflector (custom fit and made for your Porsche) keeps the sun of your dash
Valentine (V-1) radar detector
Porsche dual mode battery trickle charger
Rubber license plate holder for the front of your car if you do not want to drill holes into your front bumper and your state requires a front license plate

Dave
05 997 S
05 BMW k1200 S
Old 02-12-2006, 03:25 PM
lmmotola
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997Opus
I would recommend the following:

Car kit (go to autopia, proper auto care or classic motoring accessories) to get the right products and read "detailing how to" on the autopia site
A porter cable car polisher (this one rocks) a must have
Shoes - OMP
Car Cover - Porsche 997 cover from Suncoast Porsche Flordia (extremly soft liner) inside garage
Heatshield windshield reflector (custom fit and made for your Porsche) keeps the sun of your dash
Valentine (V-1) radar detector
Porsche dual mode battery trickle charger
Rubber license plate holder for the front of your car if you do not want to drill holes into your front bumper and your state requires a front license plate

Dave
05 997 S
05 BMW k1200 S

Where do you get the rubber license plate holder for the front of the car?
Old 02-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

WJS,

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Porsche funny farm. I hope your car brings you years of reliabilty and driving fun.

As for some stuff to keep busy till March:

We carry a pretty good range of driving shoes, gloves and other gear of both a race and a casual variety (including Porsche OEM driver's selection gear).

We also carry some nifty interior and exterior parts for the 997. (SSK's, shift linkages, aerokits, rims and other things that make women want to divorce us).

Shoot me a PM with your sizing and color preferences and i'll be more than happy to help you out.

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:41 PM
WJS
Intermediate

deadeye,

Thanks for your reply. How do I post a PM?

WJS
Old 02-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

if you click on my username, a menu will popup. PM is shortform for private message and allows two users to speak in..well..private.

i have to go out for a bit, gotta help a friend put his 1G DSM motor into a hyundai elantra of all things....don't ask. (it is putting out about 450-500HP tho). I'll reply to ur message as soon as i get back.

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:56 PM
997Opus
Intermediate

For the rubber license plate holder go to http://www.ssgraphicsco.com/en-us/dept_288.html
Also you should have a very good an acurate tire pressure meter. Hope this helps

Dave
Old 02-14-2006, 03:56 PM
rickrsm
Intermediate

I also live in CA where a front plate is required. I called ss graphics. They told me the rubber plate bracket is designed to put the straps in the trunk and hang the plate. It doesn't seem like this will work for the front of a Porsche 997.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:11 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You can use velcro or a series of magnets for the front plate solution.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:49 AM
lmmotola
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NoSubEDU
You can use velcro or a series of magnets for the front plate solution.
I would think the magnets wouldn't work since the bumper is plastic?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always place the magnets on the opposite side of the bumper. Might have to secure them there somehow, but they'll be out of sight...then you take the license plate, match with magnets on it, and place on the bumper. Perfect for CALI, and VA.

Quick Reply: Must Have Toys for my new 997