997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear on Discovery Channel

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006 | 05:28 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Top Gear rules, despite Jeremy's disdain for Porsche's (my favorite is his review of the Cayman which he calls the Cockster because its between a Carerra and Boxster - that's one of the bests shows ever).
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Jeremy is definitely polarizing. There was a time when I couldn't stand him (when he ragged all over the Cayenne Turbo) but now that I 'know' him better, I really like him. The man knows when to publicly poke fun of himself - I like that.

I really like Top Gear not just for the drives of many of my dream cars but for the segments like "The Indestructible Toyota Truck" - an episode in which they took an old Toyota pickup, drowned it through an entire high tide, crashed it through a caravan, dropped it, and then torched it,...only to drive it out onto the stage at the end of the show.

I think it was the same episode where Hammond sat inside a car while they electrocuted the **** out of it at a power station - simply to demonstrate that lightening fries your car's electronics but leaves the human intact!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:42 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Let's not forget, Jeremy did the indestructable Porsche too -- which included him driving it into the side of a barn and doing damage to the barn instead of the car which wasn't intended so he had to fix the barn!

Top Gear is without a doubt the best car show ever. Sure, you need to have thick skin when Jeremy starts talking about our beloved Porsches, but otherwise it really is an awesome show. Besides, the other guys love Porsches (and own them -- including the producer) so we do get some love on the show in the end.

I'm just disgusted we can't get the real deal here in the US as timely as I would like. Sadly Discovery thinks we need a special US version which I think is a pile of crap. Same goes for Fifth Gear too (which I admit was a bit disappointing this past season -- despite my admiration for Tiff's reviews).
Old 02-10-2006 | 07:58 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I hear ya Ron.
Tiff is awesome, but for the most part that 'other' show should be called "Drift Gear."
Old 02-10-2006 | 10:58 PM
Bullet
Instructor

I saw Top Gear for the first time last night and I have to agree with the other posters that it is, by far, the best car show around. It is so much better than the ultra boring US car shows like Motor Week.

A US version just seems ridiculous. Half the reason its so good is the personalities and the British wit.

Europeans have had a different appreciation for cars than Americans have for decades and it shows, not just in the great cars they build, but also in programs like Top Gear. In general, their Auto magazines are better than Car&Driver and Motortrend etc. as well.

-B
Old 02-12-2006 | 07:56 PM
rbennett
Drifting

British humor takes time to get used to! But I am a big fan of Benny Hill and Mr Bean

So I guess Jeremy will grow on me (hopefully not like mold)
Old 02-13-2006 | 12:41 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Why cant I find this show on my tivo? Is the show called Top Gear in the USA as well?

I am glad I wont need to bit torrent the show anymore
Old 02-13-2006 | 12:48 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Why cant I find this show on my tivo? Is the show called Top Gear in the USA as well?

I am glad I wont need to bit torrent the show anymore
In the USA Definitely called "Top Gear"
Old 02-13-2006 | 03:14 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by crispenigl
I searched TIVO (directtv) as well and it was not listed. Discovery Channel web site has listings for Feb 9/10. It's not on the regular schedule nor does it show up in their "show listing". I suspect it will be in TIVO once DC get's it's act together.
Old 02-14-2006 | 05:29 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zumaron
I searched TIVO (directtv) as well and it was not listed. Discovery Channel web site has listings for Feb 9/10. It's not on the regular schedule nor does it show up in their "show listing". I suspect it will be in TIVO once DC get's it's act together.
i wasted 2 hours looking for it already.. :/

Quick Reply: Top Gear on Discovery Channel