Sponsored by:

plugging in radar

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 05:10 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default plugging in radar

is it ok to plug my V1 into the socket on passenger side down underneath the glove box ?
Old 02-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. That's the plug I use for my V1. It's the most convenient as it keeps the cord from having to stretch acoss the passenger compartment to the plug located in the center console. I keep it plugged in and just put the unit on the floor when I'm parked.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:31 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbonds
is it ok to plug my V1 into the socket on passenger side down underneath the glove box ?
I used that particular plug, but then I had the V1 hardwired in.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:42 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

I use the center one for the 8500 so that I can quickly reach over and mute it if necessary. One feature the V1 doesn't have
Old 02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
I use the center one for the 8500 so that I can quickly reach over and mute it if necessary. One feature the V1 doesn't have
Huh? The V1 has a mute button - push the button and it mutes, turn the button and you can turn it off.

I am still using the lighter socket under the passenger seat because I have been too lazy to hardwire it, but I'm going to hardwire the V1 into the overhead light.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
1whobuys
Advanced

That's the one I use.
And yes, it does mute.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:27 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Huh? The V1 has a mute button - push the button and it mutes, turn the button and you can turn it off.

I am still using the lighter socket under the passenger seat because I have been too lazy to hardwire it, but I'm going to hardwire the V1 into the overhead light.
Where's the button? The 8500 has it right on the lighter adapter so you don't have to reach up to the unit. If you are using the passenger socket I'd suspect that the V1 doesn't have this feature. Their web site does not indicate that the mute is on the lighter adapter.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MY V1 is in the center, above the dashboard. It is easy to reach the mute button. We have too many of those PIA radar guided speed signs around here.

Following the directions on this site, I hardwired it using a piggyback fuse from AutoZone. It took maybe 10 minutes, including hiding the wire. 2-wire phone cable works perfectly.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:05 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Where's the button? The 8500 has it right on the lighter adapter so you don't have to reach up to the unit. If you are using the passenger socket I'd suspect that the V1 doesn't have this feature. Their web site does not indicate that the mute is on the lighter adapter.
True - mute is not on the lighter adapter, and you would have to reach up to the detector to mute it (that is unless you have also installed the remote display).
Old 02-07-2006, 10:23 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq

Can't tap the light - you need to tap the power source for the self dimming mirror. That harness is above the light. That may be what you meant, but you must have the self dimming mirrors. I tried the light - its friggin complicated for a light. Thomas Edison would throw up. One hint: See how that light dims itself??? Put a meter on those wires and you'll see what I mean.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:11 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

This is great. I move my 8500 from car to car, so don't hardwire it. I completely forgot about the outlet on the passenger side (I know, ). This works so much nicer than stretching the cord to the lighter in the center console!

Quick Reply: plugging in radar