Sponsored by:

Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:55 AM
neosky
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic

Have a question for you all lucky 997 drivers. I have a 997s on order and I was wondering about the tiptronic gearbox for the 997. After numerous searching, I have come to learn that the tiptronic always starts in 2nd gear when in D mode. However, I was wondering, does it start in 1st gear when you drive it in M mode? More specifically, let's say I was driving along and come to a complete stop, does the gearbox automatically downshift to 1st gear in M mode, or do I have to manually downshift it from 2nd to 1st every time?

Another question is, under normal M mode (not Sport M-mode), does the gearbox automatically upshift at the redline?

Thank you for your help!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

On my 02C2 the Tip always shifted at the red line , in M or not. It would only go into 1st when in M and would do it automatically in M when at a stop.

Tip is good for what it is. You do seem to be missing a gear. You seem to only have a 4 speed. I never got to fifth at the track (140 was my max top speed). I din't take off from a standing start so 1st was not used. That left 2,3 and 4. It was very apparent when running against identical 6 speed 996s that the slightly different gearing allows them to gently, but repeatedly, pull away from you. They would be using a slightly different gearing since they had that extra gear, everything else was the same.

If you are not on the track I found the Tip to be acceptable.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:29 AM
tbill
Racer

Tip good to have so wife & daughter are able to drive car. It will never be on a track. Would have enjoyed manual, however this showroom car had the tip and we got a good deal on a SLK trade-in, so went for it. In manual mode I think the shifting is fine, using the switches on the steering wheel. At least on this one, the tip shifts only down to 2nd, not 1st, at a stop light.
Two weeks ago had a Hummer try to out run me on Interstate. Did not even need to downshift to stay ahead of him! Tips are OK, think they make about 20% of production with tips.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:55 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I grew up driving a stick so I wouldn't be reluctant to buy a tiptronic. Tiptronic is about as good as any automatic but it's still not as fast.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

some argue that in daily driving through corners it's better - it shift consistently, something most drivers cannot do
Old 02-07-2006, 08:36 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a tiptronic and I have a great time with it. First of all you can enjoy all five gears. At least I do. When you first start out if the engine is still cold whether you are in "M" or "D" mode the transmission will begin in first gear. Once warmed up it starts in 2nd gear in either mode. When I'm at a stop light I just downshift to first. I then pull out in first, upshift into second depending on RPM level and speed, and accelerate from there. I enjoy all five gears in "M" mode . It's no different than if you had a manual. You would still have to downshift at a stop light. The manual will always be a bit faster than the tip, and have more of a visceral feel to it. But the tip is a nice alternative especially if sharing with your lovely wife.
What I also love about the Tiptronic is how it can change it's mapping depending on how you are driving. For what ever reason if you had to change to the "D" mode it would remeber how you were previously driving and now shift automatically with the similar pattern that you were doing in "M" mode.
And from what I have read you can extend the rev limiter upshift by having the car in sport mode and turning off the PSM. In this manner you can increase the RPM"s before you have an automatic upshift whether you are in "M" or "D" mode. This was only recommended for track use. I hope this gives some insight to the tiptronic. I purchased this so my wife could enjoy our 911 as well. It was the only way it was coming home.

Jay
Old 02-08-2006, 04:46 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

One other thing I forgot. You never miss a downshift with the Tip. In some instances that could be worth a lot of $$$!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:37 PM
neosky
Track Day

Does Tiptronic blip the throttle on downshifts in Sports mode like the SMG/F1 system in the M3 and the Ferrari?
Old 02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

You could do what I did and marry a woman who prefers driving a stick.
Please, no nasty 'stick' jokes.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marry (or date) women who prefer driving a tip and riding a stick.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Coochas with his obligatory preemptive plea. .. You do realize you caused the following, right?
Originally Posted by boolala
Marry (or date) women who prefer driving a tip and riding a stick.
You might want to ask boolala to explain his name, again.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:48 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
You could do what I did and marry a woman who prefers driving a stick.
Dave - one of these days you are going to forget to enter the ubiquitous "Please, no nasty (fill in the blank) jokes" comment and we are going to unload all of our pent-up, nasty jokes in one thread!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

coochas requests make me just want to do it more
lol
Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Alright, let her rip? (how's that for fodder?)
Anyhow, late for skiing,...again,...later!
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

haha I'm going skiing too
bright and sunny
later

Quick Reply: Tiptronic